PTx Irons For THPers - The 2016 Ben Hogan Experience

I haven't given a ton of thought to loft composition other than to wonder how it will affect the top and bottom ends of my bag. Shafts on the other hand...I really do like graphite but I also want to trust them and the process. TBD. I'm also anxious for the Hogan Fit tool to incorporate the PTx irons.

Last edited:
Is it me or do these hozels look taller than others. Could be the scored top...but they look taller.

Is it me or do these hozels look taller than others. Could be the scored top...but they look taller.

I looked and can't tell. Maybe it's the scoring.

Can't wait for this guy's

After watching Texas Golf for a couple days I am even more excited, I realize this is not the same area by a long shot but still in Texas.

I am excited for the format, I think it is going to be a lot of fun.

Agreed. Shamble is a really fun format to begin with, and considering we'll all be testing out some new irons it's the perfect selection for this event.

As an aside, I'm excited to finally see what this #TexasRoll is all about. Maybe I can finally hit a long ball.

Agreed. Shamble is a really fun format to begin with, and considering we'll all be testing out some new irons it's the perfect selection for this event.

As an aside, I'm excited to finally see what this #TexasRoll is all about. Maybe I can finally hit a long ball.

Well, at last years UST Event I was averaging 255 yard carry with my driver on Trackman. On #4 at the Cowboys Club I drove the green from 336 yards. So the elevation changes with some Texas roll can lead to some long balls.

But being close to sea level also means a lot of short drives without changes in elevation or low cut dry fairways to help.

64f4a13356890f2cf2889a1a8c7f9c9d.jpg

I just spent a week in Phoenix golfing, hiking and relaxing. Didn't have much time, or access, to a computer so I've been quiet here.

I'm extremely excited about being a part of this event, and I'm trying hard to not overthink the process I'll be involved with. I'm afraid that if I go into this with a lot of information about their fitting process I'll have preconceived notions, I don't want that. I still can't believe this is going to happen for me...

I've been playing this silly game since I was 13yo, that's 42yrs! I played a ton of golf in my 20's and 30's, not so much in my 40's and not a lot in my 50's. The past few years I've been experimenting with driver shafts, drivers, FW woods and hybrids. However, to this day I've never had a professional swing analyzing, or any type of professional club fitting. Heck, I've never had a "real" golf lesson. So, I'm going into this with plenty of self-golf knowledge about my game, swing and capabilities, and I can't wait to see how this experience is going to change my game!

I just spent a week in Phoenix golfing, hiking and relaxing. Didn't have much time, or access, to a computer so I've been quiet here.

I'm extremely excited about being a part of this event, and I'm trying hard to not overthink the process I'll be involved with. I'm afraid that if I go into this with a lot of information about their fitting process I'll have preconceived notions, I don't want that. I still can't believe this is going to happen for me...

I've been playing this silly game since I was 13yo, that's 42yrs! I played a ton of golf in my 20's and 30's, not so much in my 40's and not a lot in my 50's. The past few years I've been experimenting with driver shafts, drivers, FW woods and hybrids. However, to this day I've never had a professional swing analyzing, or any type of professional club fitting. Heck, I've never had a "real" golf lesson. So, I'm going into this with plenty of self-golf knowledge about my game, swing and capabilities, and I can't wait to see how this experience is going to change my game!
Yep, I've been through it. On one hand you're excited and want to know anything and everything about the product and on the other you're concerned that somehow that information will affect your experience.

Looking forward to following along and learning together.

Always thinking about this no doubt.

The biggest, beside the education/experience , is ball flight. Next on that list if I'll go to full swings with scoring clubs inside a certain yardage.

The rest is an open book to soak it all in. I don't want to set anything in my mind as to what will happen.

I can see where sending in our clubs will be huge in letting them get a head start before we show up. Loft gapping between our sets, shaft type, length, lie and the "Oh no!" contact pattern on the face. No matter those numbers...we all would hit the same set differently. They need to see what we do with the numbers on paper...this is when their knowledge will have the impact I think.

I'm looking forward to iron shots feeling their way into my heart.

Final payment sent, lets do this!! going to be hard to wait another 29 days..

Final payment sent, lets do this!! going to be hard to wait another 29 days..

Same here. And when I read your post I heard Michael Breed's voice in my head.

I got their new e-mail today and I really love this quote:

5A_04.07.15.jpg

Yeah, he believed the Shaft made a big difference. I do to, but have been told I over think it by my friends.

The fact is they sometimes beat me with 20 year old gear, but what fun is not trying new things. The holy grail is out there to be found if I don't get too old to care.

The Hogan company seems to have some out of the mainstream ideas, and I think this might be one of them.

It is going to be so great to talk with them and hear their ideas. I am shutting down my pondering and "what if's" until we are told more or get there.

It is going to be so great to talk with them and hear their ideas. I am shutting down my pondering and "what if's" until we are told more or get there.

You are a better man than me, I can't help myself from pondering and wondering :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, he believed the Shaft made a big difference. I do to, but have been told I over think it by my friends.

The fact is they sometimes beat me with 20 year old gear, but what fun is not trying new things. The holy grail is out there to be found if I don't get too old to care.

I'm right there with you and have heard that same. But have seen my game take a big step back with the wrong iron shafts, only to bounce back with something more suited for me and my swing. I'm not saying heads don't matter, because I know they do and sometimes to a great extent, but I value the proper shaft as much or more than the head.

The Hogan company seems to have some out of the mainstream ideas, and I think this might be one of them.

I certainly understand. They've taken hard stances on a lot of issues and some seem to go against the grain. But I definitely can respect them for that. One thing that stands out was the video on wedges. They mention spin and say that the equipment can only do so much and after that you are on your own or see a PGA pro. They do say that their wedge grooves are built to the max specs allowed by the USGA.

"The fact is, all top companies push the USGA rules regarding groove geometry right to the limit. Some give their grooves names, and claim them better. But our testing with golfers of all skill levels proves that spin is more of a learned skill than a built-in feature.

That said, Ben Hogan is committed to giving you every advantage allowed ‘by law’, so the Hogan TK wedges feature 100% CNC-milled faces and grooves to optimize your spin performance.

The rest is up to you."

I can't stop pondering. It's not in my nature.

Oh now I don't want to stop, but the wife does not care and I tend to ask the wrong questions out load.

Really can't wait to follow along

I thought this part of their most recent communication was particularly interesting (emphasis added):

"Our single mission here at the new Ben Hogan is to help you . . . and all golfers . . . improve your proficiency with all the clubs in your bag. We have started with your wedges and irons, but we’ll have lots more coming in the months ahead."

Last edited:
Back