Driver swing vs iron swing

kc720

Reaction score
Handicap
2manyclubs
So is it the same swing with different ball position?

I believe it to be different swings. For me (perhaps the reason for my struggles) my tempo is different. With driver in hand I tend to be bit more aggressive in the transition. Basic mechanics stay the same, but the difference in setup (ball position, spine tilt, and plane) makes it very difficult for me to visualize and execute the same swing. What say you?

It totally is 2 different ones to me. Whipes and stripes baby!!!

I'll try and hit whipes with my driver (adding dynamic loft and face angles with the hands that make the ball curve) and stripes with the irons (hitting down on the ball with my hands ahead and no wrist movement for better consistency in face angle and less side spin)

For me, they're different, but they're like siblings. The drive is just the biggest brother of the whole swing transition, from driver, to FW, to hybrids, to irons, etc.

All adjustments are due to the length of the club and the fact that in the drive, the ball is teed up.

Like you I struggle with the same things. I have heard several instructors say they are the same swing. Freddie has even mentioned he swings the driver like he swings a 7i.

i have tried to thing that way and can't get it down

They're definitely different for me; not light years, but different. With driver I've got more tilt away from the ball and I want to feel the clubhead passing my hands before or just at impact, while with irons I want my hands leading the clubhead.

When I try to hit the driver like I hit irons, I get a weak fade every time.

They are definitely different swings for me. I focus on creating width during my backswing with the driver, but I try to keep the same tempo I have with the irons. I also think the top of my backswing is shorter with driver than with irons. And the whole hitting the ball on the upswing rather than at the bottom arc of the swing. There was a time where I was able to hit the driver like my irons and it almost felt like I was compressing the ball. I saw distance, but definitely a lower flight than I'm used to.

For me the motion is the same but the setup is completely different. My posture, ball position and stance width are all different which makes it quite different. I agree with Kang about being more aggressives also. I'm much more aggressive with the driver as I don't typically need the same level of accuracy.

Tough one to describe really. For me, i use the same "swing" for each club, the motion is the same but the ball position alters. I also setup with more weight/pressure on the trail foot with the longer clubs. I think it all depends on your swing style. I have a more vertical, but sweeping, swing with all clubs but thats just me.

There have been many golfers who say the swing is the same for every club, Moe Norman springs to mind as does Don Trahan (i started using Don/DJ style swing lates last year and its starting to click at last).

i recall freddie posting responses to this question in previous threads, and always saying same swing just different club.

the only difference i try to build into driver vs iron is more lag. from the top really thinking about head lagging behind, then whipping through impact. iron swing is a lot more about control. but pretty much everything else stays pretty constant, in my mind at least.

It's supposed to be the same swing, and I'm not quite there yet, but my driver and iron swing are getting closer together.

I'm pretty sure it should be, but for me they aren't the same swing. They're closer than they used to be but the transitions are different, or at least they feel much different.

(Please note handicap as a disclaimer)

I do have a different swing for woods v. irons, especially the driver. Besides the "Low, wide, and Slow." take away, I set the wrists much earlier in the backswing with my irons.

Heck, I don't even think I get much wrist cock with the driver/woods, a la Stricker.

Mine a very different....hmmmm.

Same swing for me. Only thing that changes is ball position.

For me it's essentially the same motion but they just feel different. Setup things of course, but I also need to more consciously make an upright swing the longer the club gets. If I sneak flat, it usually results in snap hooks - and it gets worse the longer the club is.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wish mine were the same and I think they should be, I tend to go after it too much with driver in hand and it gets away from me. Trying to be tour long from watching Rory, Day, and Bubba too much:alien:

When I first started playing I couldn't hit driver to save my life. A lesson improved my contact, but I was still getting wicked slices about 80% of the time. The instructor had me swing much flatter than with irons, and trying to tilt backward instead of forward at contact.

Once I started trying to just swing my driver like my irons I started getting much better results. It's still a day to day proposition, but when I can make my body do what I want it works out much better.

I think its about angle of attack... with the driver, you want your weight behind the ball and hitting up on it with a positive attack angle since it is teed up. With irons, you want your weight to be far more to your left than with the driver with hands forward and a downward strike or negative attack angle.

Perhaps if you were hitting driver off the deck, then they would be more similar. Its like the graphic of the evolving man... the wedge swing is least like the driver swing, with them getting successively closer in relation as you move up your bag... (if you subscribe to that school of thought lol)

Wedge --> Iron --> Hybrid --> Fairway Wood --> Driver

Same swing just flatter. I don't hit driver often because I hit my Mini 1.5 straighter and far enough.

For me there are some key differences.

1. I have to focus on rechecking my hands quickly with the driver only
2. My swing path is different due to hitting up on the ball (as a focus).

Everything else (including my 3 wood) is the same swing.

Some of the responses hint that iron striking is good and driver has the struggles, there fore taking that iron swing and applying it in some mannerism to the driver... so what happens if you are like me in the past month where driver is almost automatic but struggle with irons?

Some of the responses hint that iron striking is good and driver has the struggles, there fore taking that iron swing and applying it in some mannerism to the driver... so what happens if you are like me in the past month where driver is almost automatic but struggle with irons?

you buy new clubs

For me, completely different swings.

you buy new clubs

I lol'd.

I've told myself they are different for the longest time, but as I continue to improve they seem to get more and more alike. I think the biggest conflict between my driver and iron swing is, like others have said, an attempt to swing the big club faster which leads to poor tempo, which leads to a poor impact position.

I honestly don't know if my driver swing is different than my iron swing. I suspect they are at least a bit different due to angle of attack, but maybe less so for me than some because I'm not very steep with my irons either. I will say though that I have the same swing thoughts for both, and I never think​ of them as different swings.

Back