Cobra KING Wedge Preview

This comes out April 1st, will there be a write up from one of the staffers?

This comes out April 1st, will there be a write up from one of the staffers?

We should have one here in the next few days and then review will take place.

We should have one here in the next few days and then review will take place.

Cool, definitely looking forward to this one. Just bought a new wedge but if it doesn't work out, this one will be on the ponder list.

Just got mine in last night. WAY TO GO COBRA! leaving for bandon today. new wedges in bag. awesome. they look great. hope I like em. LOL.

not sure where else to put this, but I have played 3 rounds with this wedge and I have been really happy with it. I am playing the 56 degree wedge. It looks really good. Chipped in my first shot today. I like it on half shots and shots around the green. I am still getting my distances dialed in with my full shots, but I have hit some good ones (just not consistent yet)

Is there a review thread for this somewhere? Hoping to get the 56* out for some swings later today and am looking for the place to post my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one works just fine.

As someone new to golf who hasn't spent a ton of time working on the short game, I'm probably the wrong person to attempt to review the new Cobra King wedge, that said I will give it my best shot.

I took the 56* out on the course and practice area for the first time just now and the following are some of my thoughts:

-- Club feels slightly heavier than the 56* Nike SV Tour that I have in my bag.
-- The face of this club also appears to be slightly smaller than that of the Nike.
-- I wasn't swinging well with either wedge so I won't really comment on that as it's definitely the Indian and not the arrow.

After my 9, I went to the short game practice area and asked a couple other golfers their thoughts on the wedge.

Golfer #1 was your typical amateur golfer out getting some practice swings in. He thought the club was very nice looking, considerably heavier than what he was using which he liked, and liked the way it felt. When asked would he game it, he answered "Oh, yeah!"

Golfer #2 is on the golf team at one of the local colleges and was excited to hit it as he had just added a set of the Cobra King forged irons to his bag. He liked the look of the club a lot as well as the feel of the club. To compare with his current Titleist Vokey 54* he first grabbed a couple Pro-V's from his bag. It was only the one swing each, but the ball hit with the King wedge didn't check up as much as he was expecting. When asked later if he would consider playing it, he mentioned he would need some more swings to be sure but that he felt that he would with no problem.

I'll continue this same approach whenever I get out to play to give you my thoughts as well as the thoughts of people a little more experienced than me. If you have specific questions that I can answer just let me know.

Got greenside and pitch/chipping today during the round and it's a great wedge. Definitely going to get more fans with this wedge

5df175d3aceddb3e34c2adbdd07a06c5.jpg
60264e99923e262517ce33a9ac053731.jpg
8ce965f1ddb04483e5d4f74e9c5086e5.jpg

As someone new to golf who hasn't spent a ton of time working on the short game, I'm probably the wrong person to attempt to review the new Cobra King wedge, that said I will give it my best shot.

I took the 56* out on the course and practice area for the first time just now and the following are some of my thoughts:

-- Club feels slightly heavier than the 56* Nike SV Tour that I have in my bag.
-- The face of this club also appears to be slightly smaller than that of the Nike.
-- I wasn't swinging well with either wedge so I won't really comment on that as it's definitely the Indian and not the arrow.

After my 9, I went to the short game practice area and asked a couple other golfers their thoughts on the wedge.

Golfer #1 was your typical amateur golfer out getting some practice swings in. He thought the club was very nice looking, considerably heavier than what he was using which he liked, and liked the way it felt. When asked would he game it, he answered "Oh, yeah!"

Golfer #2 is on the golf team at one of the local colleges and was excited to hit it as he had just added a set of the Cobra King forged irons to his bag. He liked the look of the club a lot as well as the feel of the club. To compare with his current Titleist Vokey 54* he first grabbed a couple Pro-V's from his bag. It was only the one swing each, but the ball hit with the King wedge didn't check up as much as he was expecting. When asked later if he would consider playing it, he mentioned he would need some more swings to be sure but that he felt that he would with no problem.

I'll continue this same approach whenever I get out to play to give you my thoughts as well as the thoughts of people a little more experienced than me. If you have specific questions that I can answer just let me know.

Well done. Good start with the review.

How does this wedge fit in with your current set? Did you have to make adjustments to your bag because of the loft?

Solid looking wedge. I like the looks at address. Will have to look out for this and give it a try.

Well done. Good start with the review.

How does this wedge fit in with your current set? Did you have to make adjustments to your bag because of the loft?

My Fly-Z PW is 45* and both this and my Nike SV Tour are 56*, so a pretty big gap to be sure. I was recently gifted a 54* Titleist Vokey SM but that obviously does very little for my gapping issue. Suffice it to say, wedges are on my golf must have list.

None of the stores around Grand Rapids has them yet, it will take
a lot to kick out the MD3 Milled.

My Fly-Z PW is 45* and both this and my Nike SV Tour are 56*, so a pretty big gap to be sure. I was recently gifted a 54* Titleist Vokey SM but that obviously does very little for my gapping issue. Suffice it to say, wedges are on my golf must have list.
Makes sense. I have the Amp Cells and the PW is 44 degrees so I got a 48 Vokey to fill the gap for me.

What do you like about the wedge so far?

Just before I left the course (I wrote the previous while still there) I let one of the workers who I've gotten to know hit it as well. When I first showed it to him, he seemed to fall in love with it and couldn't wait to hit it.
He took about 10 swings with it in total and said he liked the way it felt when hitting with it but preferred a slightly heavier shaft. That said, he thought the bounce was perfect in its interaction with the grass/dirt.
When asked if he would game it he said yes as he liked the club a lot, but he didn't think it would beat out his current Titleist wedges.

Went back out twice today to get some more swings with this club.

On my lunch I went to the short game practice area and tried to work on pitching and chipping, which again is not necessarily a strength of mine. That said, the club performed well and was equal to the Nike SV Tour that I had been playing in just about every way. I find that I tend to "dig" when hitting a chip due to leaning the shaft too forward, too steep a swing, or in my case probably a combination of the two. I only found myself getting stuck once that I can remember, but with the number of swings that I attempted that was actually doing well. Was it because of the club or was it just a half-way decent day I couldn't tell you, but it was working relatively well either way. Pitching was decent as well. I'm not a good enough golfer to get balls to check up or spin back so I can't speak to that, but I was able to pitch it up there nice and soft. There was definitely some run out, but nothing excessive and I was actually very pleased considering I often have shots run off the green.

After work I went and hit a large bucket of balls, probably half of which were 3/4 swings with my wedges. Again the King wedge equaled or exceeded my 56* Nike. With good swings, I was seeing a very consistent and predictable ball flight. My swing's not truly consistent yet, but I still felt like I knew where the ball would end up distance wise. That said, while not an apples to apples comparison, I found that I liked the 54* Titleist Vokey SM better than both of the 56's for those 3/4 swings.

Great thread Tkp, really like seeing the feedback from others as well.

The pic is great really like the look of the wedge. Glad you're seeing a softer landing than your gamer.

Hope it continues to work for you

Playing in a charity scramble and just chipped in from about 2 yards off the green and about 9 or 10 yards out total. First ever chip in, thank you Cobra!

Played 18 after work on Friday on a par 3 course which gave me plenty of chances to hit the KING wedge including full swings from 70-80 yards as well as the typical short chips/pitches.

Ultimately I was very pleased with the performance of the club as I was able to put myself in very good positions for putts including a handful of near chip-ins.

I only carry a 54 and a 56, so for the most part I play the KING 56 exclusively which means it gets used it situations that are probably less than ideal, but it always performs as good as can be expected. That said, I have 2 56* wedges and this one has effectively replaced the Nike making me consider getting the Nike bent to a more useful loft.

All in all I'm not a good enough golfer yet to compare spin between the KING wedge and some other brand, but I do think any golfer in the market for wedges should give these wedges a chance.

Went to the driving range yesterday after work which gave me a chance to get some swings in with the new 60* KING wedge.
I found the 60* to be surprisingly easy to hit with very few if any mishits. I'd like to think I'm just becoming a better golfer, but I don't want to take away from this club either. I started and ended the range session with the 60* for about a total of 35 - 40 shots of all types. I found the full swings were very consistent (for me) with all shots ending in about a 10-12 yard circle. I wasn't on the practice green to see roll out, but the shorter chips responded as I expected.
All in all, I am super excited to be able to add this new wedge to my bag and can't wait get a round in with it as it should make me a lot more versatile not having to rely on the 56* for every shot.
Thanks again Cobra for such an amazing club and I look forward to adding a 50 or 52 to the bag next.

any more reviews on this wedge? anyone compare it to the Cleveland rtx 2.0 wedge?

I don't have experience with the RTX 2.0s, but I have been gaming these for a few weeks now, and I am enjoying them. I feel like the 60 with the wide sole I can pull off any shots around the green I need, and I think it gets through the sand really well too.

The 56 is just the standard grind, and I find myself using it a lot from 110 and in. I am seeing a good amount of spin with them as well.

So far so good with these guys. I was fortunate enough to receive the 56 and 60 from the UST event, and paired with the Wedge Proto shafts I am seeing some promising results.

To me they do everything I was used to with the MD3s, but I am not ready to say they are better for me than those. I have played these exclusively over my last 3 rounds, and I have seen some good shots, especially from just off the green. The 60 degree in the higher bounce has been really good for me out of the bunker, reminds me a lot of the W grind I have on my MD3 60.

I find myself turning to the 56 with the versatile grind for most of my chips and pitches around the green, and I don't have any issue going full swing with it on shots up to 110-115 yards, in fact I hit a really good 110 yard shot out of the rough this past weekend with it. I am notoriously a steep swinger, and I was a bit worried that the versatile grind wouldn't work as well as the 56W MD3 I have, but so far I have zero complaints.

Back