Athletic vs Traditional

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Talking golf shoes and recently got a chance to try out a more traditional shoe that was saddle style and it brought me back to a number of other pairs similar to that I have enjoyed in the past. I still really like a number of athletic models as well, especially the new PUMA Ignites.

I go back and forth on the style side of it and while I have both, it ends up being a mood thing.

Am I alone or are you firmly in the camp of one side or the other.

I wear more athletic or Comfortable shoes when walking, Most weekends. If i go to a tourney where i know we will be riding, I go conventional because i have always believed that the firmer shoes help with making a good turn instead of just "rolling off the shoes" and swaying.

I prefer the newer shoes, more comfortable IMO.

When it gets to hot to walk I tend to wear a traditional shoe. When i walk it's always an athletic style. The new Puma's are pretty awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As someone who has gone spikeless for all my shoes, athletic are better for me. Puma is killing it right now in that department

I really like my Pumas. They’re a big departure from my past shoes and are incredibly comfortable. But looks wise, the DryJoy Tours still have my eye. I’ll most likely have a pair by the end of Summer.

Although traditional shoes tend to give my feet better support, I prefer athletic-type golf shoes for their comfort.

Because I walk about 99%of my rounds, I go with athletic spikeless shoes.

I tend to gravitate more towards the athletic style. I like the look of the traditional but my clothes jive better with athletic.

I don’t feel like anyone should be making their own decisions on what shoes to wear without getting fit by an experienced fitter at somewhere like Club Champion.

I have some of both, and can't decide. I like traditional better for the platform while swinging, but they are not as comfortable after walking 18 holes as more athletic styles. Overall lean towards athletic but I still like me a nice pair of DryJoy saddles.

I have a pair of FJ Classics that while nice, are not comfortable. It’s more of a tour shoe when some other dude is carrying your bag!

I prefer the look of athletic over traditional.

I prefer a more traditional style shoe like the MyJoys & Icons, about as close to athletic as I like are something along the lines of the DNAs & Boost 360s.
I tend toward old school stylings & walk 72+ holes a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to be a footjoy classics guy through and through. You and the rest of the forum got me hooked on athletic style shoes and I haven’t looked back.

I remember Ernie Els wearing spikeless Ecco shoes and thought...yuck. My opinion completely flipped. Athletic 100% now. I walk most rounds so spikeless athletic shoes is the answer. I also like the "athletic" look for golf clothes.

I have both and often switch depending on mood but my go to is traditional. For me the feel is better and since I can't walk a full round the weight isn't a concern for me.

I like both, given the right look & design.

My heart lies with Traditional stylings, but sometimes when I play after work I enjoy the lighter weight Athletic style.

I’m only wearing the Puma Titantour ignite from a couple years ago. I haven’t found any mesh style lighter weight shoes that I like the feel of. I have yet to find a spikeless golf shoe that has good enough traction for the wet, morning rounds that make up much of my golf. I do have more foot movement during the swing than most so that is likely why the spikeless shoes often slip when I'm taking a full swing.

Last edited:
Don't even own any traditional shoes. Right now its New Balance, a couple of differnt athletic styles, go spikeless most of the time, but have a pair of spikes for when its wet.

athletic. the traditional looks great with pants though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spikeless and athletic 100%.

Puma has really transformed me; I'm pretty squarely in the athletic camp

I like to go spikeless, so usually that's going to be an athletic shoe.

I have a mix of spikeless and spiked in both traditional and athletic. It's all about how I feel that day. I will say more traditional and spiked are almost always worn in wet conditions. Other than that it's mood and matching the rest of my clothing.

Back