JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching a documentary this morning on the flight, one of the people talked about PEDs in all sports including golf.

My question is do you believe that and how prevalent do you think it is?

I believe it exists in all sports but kind of doubt it is large scale in golf.

I don't know how prevalent it is but I'm sure it exists. It has to. People are always looking for some short of advantage and some guys are willing to bend the rules to achieve that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

PED in golf would imo be more about how to calm you down vs building muscle strength / endurance / etc. So that's why the CBD debate will be an interesting one to follow as as I understand it it does calm you down and may improve your competitive results.

We’ve already seen some of it with the beta blockers several years ago.

I would imagine therapeutic use exemptions are fairly commonplace for some drugs.

• Admin
PED in golf would imo be more about how to calm you down vs building muscle strength / endurance / etc. So that's why the CBD debate will be an interesting one to follow as as I understand it it does calm you down and may improve your competitive results.

I think there are a number of areas including recovery that is often overlooked.

I agree that recovery has to play a major role here. Every edge it's critical and that's a big one.

I think there are a number of areas including recovery that is often overlooked.

Yes, you are right. Especially with all the 40+ year olds doing quite well again :)

I think it’s more prevalent than we hear about, I’m not a big fan of it but there’s not a whole bunch anyone can or will do

gotta be on the recovery side, and maybe something like beta blockers during the round. it doesn’t surprise me, and it honestly doesn’t bother me that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My guess is they're pretty common. Muscle recovery is a huge part of it. I also wouldn't be surprised if use/abuse of adderal is pretty common. The ability to maintain rigid focus over a 4 or 5 hour round of golf is huge.

There are Ways to use PEDs specifically for muscle recovery, pain relief etc that would more advantageous to golfers be other sports.. probably lower dose for smaller testosterone boost vs muscle building.

Does the PGA enforce testing? Especially of say someone who had an avg drive of 275 year one and now is 325+?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I know the PGA had to institute testing once golf became an Olympic sport - but as we’ve seen from cycling and other sports, those programs often are jokes.

I would not be surprised if it’s pretty prevalent, especially on the recovery side. And I wonder how many guys were recently prescribed beta blockers for “medically necessary” reasons.

Athletes for decades have been looking for some kind of competitive edge. Of course that has spilled over to golf. To what degree... who knows as golf (the PGA and the players themselves) is known to handle matters that would lead to bad press internally as much as they can.

If there's a way to get a competitive advantage then there is surely some who will cheat. Unfortunate fact of life..

I think I was watching one of the Generation Iron movies on Netflix, which mentioned how prevalent PEDs are in other sports. They specifically mentioned golf and how many athletes this particular supplier had. I think it's more ubiquitous than we imagine, especially when we consider how much work goes into playing at the PGA level. There are a lot more guys trying to break out on tour these days who have regimens that are closer to Tiger, Koepka and DJ than Phil and Daly. Thinking about what these guys put their bodies through during the grind of a season alone (without the gym regimen) is enough to imagine a good chunk of them using something to keep their bodies going.

I definitely think it goes on more than people realize when they think of PED’s in golf. While it may not be to gain brute strength like athletes in sports like football and baseball may use them for, I think it absolutely happens for recovery and focus purposes. Which would be a huge help over the grind of a long season of golf.

I think I was watching one of the Generation Iron movies on Netflix, which mentioned how prevalent PEDs are in other sports. They specifically mentioned golf and how many athletes this particular supplier had. I think it's more ubiquitous than we imagine, especially when we consider how much work goes into playing at the PGA level. There are a lot more guys trying to break out on tour these days who have regimens that are closer to Tiger, Koepka and DJ than Phil and Daly. Thinking about what these guys put their bodies through during the grind of a season alone (without the gym regimen) is enough to imagine a good chunk of them using something to keep their bodies going.

You lump Phil in with Daly... have you seen Phil's calves lately??

Phil actually came to mind immediately as someone who would benefit from PEDs. He's hitting the driver longer than ever too, which in and of itself is curious.

Phil actually came to mind immediately as someone who would benefit from PEDs. He's hitting the driver longer than ever too, which in and of itself is curious.
Haha, that's a good call. Phil's calves are so swole they have their own hashtag.

Honestly though, I don't know why I wouldn't lump Phil in with the others. He probably does have a great workout routine, I just dont see the workout intensity there that I do with the others. PEDs effect people in different ways, it would be an absolute guessing game to try and pick out who is using and who isn't.

He and tiger both have gained speed.

He and tiger both have gained speed.

I think I was probably baseball that did it to me, but when athletes get in their mid to late 30’s and now even into their 40’s in golf and start to get stronger and faster it kind of makes me wonder, especially as a fan of both. Like I said...I blame baseball. I was young and naive during the steroid era. Now I’m just old and bitter. LOL!

I truly hope that nothing comes out about PED’s amongst some top golfers in the world, we don’t need asterisks in golf...I would guess it’s more the fringe player that would be trying to make the big tour than the superstars, but who actually knows.

I do honestly believe the use of PED is prevalent on the PGA Tour. I believe they’re in every sport.

I remember noticing in baseball years ago a ball player all of a sudden being bulked up after the off-season. Then performing lights out the next couple of years before injuries took them down.

I’d find it hard to believe golf is any different. Strength can equal distance. And that’s what today’s game is all about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. But I wouldn’t consider it cheating if it’s to help recover from an injury or get you back to normal. Scott Stallings comes to mind. He was suspended for a year or so because he was taking something to get his testosterone levels to normal. If he’s playing at levels lower than normal because of a medical issue he is operating at a disadvantage compared to the field.

If someone has a soft tissue tear or bone break I don’t see the problem with taking growth hormone to accelerate the recovery process. The goal there isn’t to get some kind of advantage. It’s just to get back to normal as fast as possible.

I want to say I believe some of the older guys on tour 30s-40s are using PEDs to keep up with the younger guys.

However in my opinion it’s kinda pointless to take peds in golf for recovery purposes. I know there are simple supplements to take to help with recovery and it comes down to diet as well.

The mental part of the game is the biggest thing. Focus, mental stamina, clear minds, etc. if someone is taking something in that area that is not natural to gain an edge, then I think it’s wrong. Something like adderal or potentially some type of illegal nootropics.

Depends what you you call a PED.

But I am sure there are more golfers on TRT and HGH than people realize

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back