Rules question - club head

InTheRough

Course Botanist
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 16.2
Is it legal to put colored electrical tape on the top of say a hybrid to indicate the top line of the club face and the center line so long as it doesn't go into the club face itself? I wouldn't see this as any different than paint. The reason is that the club head is matte black. I can't see how I have it aligned.

I’m not positive, but I would think it would be allowed since lead tape is allowed. And if the alignment aid was painted on it wouldn’t be a problem.

You didn't go down far enough. This is what is written on page 14.....

Attachments to the clubhead (other than the face), such as protective coverings, decorative items or alignment aids, provided the item is semi- permanent. However, such items must not excessively protrude from the clubhead and must conform to the shape of the clubhead. Also, for driving clubs, such attachments must not serve to cause any confusion with the correct identification of a club on the Conforming Driver
List. Such attachments should, therefore, be subtle, plain in appearance and discreetly positioned. Permanent additions to a clubhead would be considered part of the head and, therefore, the head, in its modified state, would have to conform to Part 2, Section 4 of the Equipment Rules (i.e. for dimensions and “plain in shape”).

I would interpret this to mean it is legal. Putters already have alignment aids.

You didn't go down far enough. This is what is written on page 14.....

Attachments to the clubhead (other than the face), such as protective coverings, decorative items or alignment aids, provided the item is semi- permanent. However, such items must not excessively protrude from the clubhead and must conform to the shape of the clubhead. Also, for driving clubs, such attachments must not serve to cause any confusion with the correct identification of a club on the Conforming Driver
List. Such attachments should, therefore, be subtle, plain in appearance and discreetly positioned. Permanent additions to a clubhead would be considered part of the head and, therefore, the head, in its modified state, would have to conform to Part 2, Section 4 of the Equipment Rules (i.e. for dimensions and “plain in shape”).

I would interpret this to mean it is legal. Putters already have alignment aids.

It would come under "decorative items and alignment aids". It would conform to the shape of the club head. It would also be "semi-permanent." I would interpret this to mean legal.

Tape on the clubhead; other than lead tape which is specifically
called out, has been considered illegal. The question really comes to the interpretation of semi-permanent which I don’t believe tape would be considered. Also if the tape starts to peel I believe it would be considered altering the playing characteristics of the club and then deemed an illegal club.

Best option to clarify would be to email the USGA, they are generally pretty responsive to questions about rules interpretation.

Is it legal to put colored electrical tape on the top of say a hybrid to indicate the top line of the club face and the center line so long as it doesn't go into the club face itself? I wouldn't see this as any different than paint. The reason is that the club head is matte black. I can't see how I have it aligned.

Just out of curiosity, was this in response to Shawn Clement's recently released training video?

Would it matter if it was not considered for an official handicap round?

Would it matter if it was not considered for an official handicap round?

Would matter to me. Golf Association Rules do not equal the Rules of Golf.

There is no handicap requirement to play the game.

Just out of curiosity, was this in response to Shawn Clement's recently released training video?

I have a set of the Cobra One Length with the hybrid. Like I said the hybrid is matte black. I have not been able to tell where the top of the club head is very well. Shawn Clement gave me an idea with that video. If I got some colored electrical tape and trimmed it to conform with the top of the club along the club face and one to go back along the center line (it's legal for a manufacturer to paint such a marking), it would let me know if that really is the problem. I can't hit the hybrid well at all, but can hit the 6i very well.

I generally hit my driver/3 wood well enough when it comes to centered contact, but they are matte black and I have plenty of issues with missing fairways (some days more so than others). I saw the video and was tempted to try the tape at least on the range to see if it would help with path for me to try and tighten up my face to path relationship and the consistency of how I present the club at impact.

If you do some experimenting, less us know how it works. I'll do the same if I can get around to trying it. It's supposed to rain here most of this week, so I don't know when I'll get around to testing Clement's suggestion.

I used it today at the range and yes, the tape worked great.

I have a set of the Cobra One Length with the hybrid. Like I said the hybrid is matte black. I have not been able to tell where the top of the club head is very well. Shawn Clement gave me an idea with that video. If I got some colored electrical tape and trimmed it to conform with the top of the club along the club face and one to go back along the center line (it's legal for a manufacturer to paint such a marking), it would let me know if that really is the problem. I can't hit the hybrid well at all, but can hit the 6i very well.

Why not use car pin stripping from an auto parts store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autozone!!!

Back