The Classroom - What is Toe Hang?

I want to be able to share and it's not giving me that option. Nicely written James. I guess my question would be, how do you know what type of arch you have while putting? I wonder how many golfers are using putters that don't match their arch?

This question gets to the heart of the matter. Also, what are the mechanics that create more or less arc and are there pros/cons to each? Can a golfer change the putting arc, and would that even be a good idea?

Great kickoff for The Classroom, I think we're all going to love this new addition to THP, thanks Jman!

That is a much better and more concise explanation than I have heard anywhere else. I think club manufacturers could learn a thing or two from you.

On a side note, I need to have a putter fitting.

James has edumacted me. good write up.

A very informative and well written explanation on Toe Hang. I definitely feel like I understand it a little better and with my arc putting stroke - helps me understand a little bit better about what works for me putter wise.

Good read, actually wasn't familiar with the term.

#THPClassroom is a great idea. Gonna love reading and learning about the topics that get addressed. Nice first day.

Well done James, I never understood what toe hang really was, after reading that it was made pretty clear. Thanks dude.

I am not only educated now on toe hang but I just added another excuse for why I missed the putt. It was that damn toe hang!

Would a center shafted putter tend to have very little toe hang?

Would a center shafted putter tend to have very little toe hang?

Typically face-balanced. Some based on profile/weighting can have very minimal hang though.

Typically face-balanced. Some based on profile/weighting can have very minimal hang though.

And then you have the FGP from seemore which has full toe hang. Crazy world out there with putters.

And then you have the FGP from seemore which has full toe hang. Crazy world out there with putters.

But that comes into the profile/shape design and its weighting. The FGP also is an incredibly unique head design in that regard.

All shapes, all shafts, all heads can have the toe hang manipulated through placement, weighting, etc.

Just more options for us all, and options are good to find what fits one's needs/stroke.

Some fantastic knowledge from the THP Classroom. Jman, great explanation.

But that comes into the profile/shape design and its weighting. The FGP also is an incredibly unique head design in that regard.

All shapes, all shafts, all heads can have the toe hang manipulated through placement, weighting, etc.

Just more options for us all, and options are good to find what fits one's needs/stroke.

Oh I know, just pointing out that it's never cut and dry with putters. Most plumbers necks have toe hang, unless it's a long plumbers neck like some Pings and then it can become face balanced. It's a fun topic that has some interesting one offs that I don't think people are aware of. Even though I already knew of toe hang and some of its effects, I can always learn more and it was a good read/good topic that was nicely done.

Awesome, I'd actually show up for these classes!!! But Toe Hang is an interesting topic, always been on the fence and partially confused on it, great read, very informative!

This was a great read and I learned a bunch. I learned through trial and error that a face balanced putter doesn't work very well for me.

Makes sense to me..

Very informative and well written article. I'm going to enjoy the #THPClassroom series.

I love the concept and look forward to more!

I learned a lot, and well written.

A question: I always thought more weight on the toe would cause the club to be open more at impact, because the toe is "heavier" thus lagging back slightly

So if I had an issue with the toe coming open at contact and not squaring up, would I want to experiment with less toe hang (lighter toe) or more toe hang to help with the release?

Thank for the answer and I agree with what you have said. follow up question, if toe hang doesn't make that big od a difference, why are not all putters creaaated the same. Why are there such varying degrees of toe hang?
Its as simple as looking at your putting path, having someone watch your putting path, or even recording yourself and looking at it. I'm in the camp that HATES the terminology "Straight back straight through" because physiologically that is impossible, all putting strokes have arc, there just isn't very much for SBST, but it is there.

As to the fitting the arc to the putter thing, I'm not in the camp that its SUPER MEGA ULTRA important like some putter companies seem to make it out to be. Putting is a different beast in that comfort matters too, and if one isn't comfortable with a full toe hang design that fits their stroke then it won't matter that it is what they are "supposed" to use. I agree it can help fine tune putting, but I don't think it is a be all end all like some do (I putt with all different toe-hangs all the time for example, no massive result differences unless its a true 8802 style blade for me).

good quick read! had a brief explanation of it during my fitting last year. Enjoyed the refresher and looking forward to more Classroom articles.

Thank for the answer and I agree with what you have said. follow up question, if toe hang doesn't make that big od a difference, why are not all putters creaaated the same. Why are there such varying degrees of toe hang?

I didn't say it didn't make a difference, I said it didn't for me. For others, it absolutely does so options are good. Different shapes which aid in fitting the eye or in alignment necessitate different toe-hangs also, otherwise massive manipulation (in some heads) would need to be done to make it all the same.

Its a school with many thoughts. Look at what Odyssey (and Edel before them) is doing now with the toe UP putter, totally new and different school of thought on it all and how it effects the stroke.

That was a great read James. It cleared something that I was pretty clueless about.

Back