Sean Toulon Interview

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
About 15 minutes in so far and will be finishing up later today. Wanted to stay in the car and finish and not head into work this morning lol

We should make "doctors notes" that you can hand to your supervisor to allow you to listen to the podcast at work. :golf3:

Great listen. I find it interesting that Sean stated the grip could be anywhere from 100-110g and still be perfectly fine. I guess that’s how there are still so many options of grips on their site. As they just need to get the balance within a 10g window. I’m excited to get my hands on the one I picked for the odyssey experience event, as the times I’ve tried them in stores they have been pretty good.

Great listen. I find it interesting that Sean stated the grip could be anywhere from 100-110g and still be perfectly fine. I guess that’s how there are still so many options of grips on their site. As they just need to get the balance within a 10g window. I’m excited to get my hands on the one I picked for the odyssey experience event, as the times I’ve tried them in stores they have been pretty good.

I picked up on that as well. I also picked up that depending on the grip, the weight in the end of the shaft has to be adjusted also. Which makes sense since SuperStroke grips are lighter without the weight.

I also like how he described counter balancing and how the Stroke Lab is a true rebalance

"Beatdown ... great landslide smackdowns in THP events. Luke has been offered condolences." Sean is confident!

Sean pointed out many important things when it comes to tinkering with your clubs. There's a lot to consider when doing anything to your clubs, even as simple as changing out grips.

I wonder if, as technology in design continues to get more complicated and innovative, DIY tinkerers become limited in the number of custom jobs they can create.

At least to me, Sean made a great point about changing the putter if you want to improve. For a long, long time, I played the same putter. A BJ-9 half mallet. I would fiddle fart around with other putters but they were always similar to what I had. The results didn't change much. Making a change to the 7s SL, has worked out for me. I make more short to mid-range putts and I'm consistently much closer to the hole on longer putts. I burn a lot more edges and my distance control is better. If I miss badly now, it's usually a bad read.

Consistent putting is something i am looking forward to. That podcast is a great insight to the thought process into designing the stokelab putters. Next week is going to be information overload and i cannot wait.

Consistent putting is something i am looking forward to. That podcast is a great insight to the thought process into designing the stokelab putters. Next week is going to be information overload and i cannot wait.

I've never been much of a student of the technical aspects of golf club design. But, I have to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about the SL. A big motivation for that is not only our event, but also seeing the improvement it was designed to give.

Hearing Sean tell us all this in person during #TheGrandaddy was amazing and cool to hear this as it gave me some flashbacks to December! Sean is an amazing person and super humble and makes bada$$ putters!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's crazy to think that there's not much of an adjustment to go from a putter in the F range to 1 in the C. Obviously it's working as I see a bunch being used on all Tours.

I've never been much of a student of the technical aspects of golf club design. But, I have to say, I've thoroughly enjoyed learning about the SL. A big motivation for that is not only our event, but also seeing the improvement it was designed to give.

Same here never even thought about the design aspect of it.

Loved the smack talk at the end!

So much information was covered in just the 30+ min interview, but I am still curious as to how the SL helps with Tempo. Is it the rebalanced club or having more feel in the head?

So much information was covered in just the 30+ min interview, but I am still curious as to how the SL helps with Tempo. Is it the rebalanced club or having more feel in the head?
To my understanding it's the overall rebalancing bc it promotes a more methodic stroke.

It's crazy to think that there's not much of an adjustment to go from a putter in the F range to 1 in the C. Obviously it's working as I see a bunch being used on all Tours.
I think I was likely in the Z range.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed that interview. Sean is such an interesting and smart guy you could really just sit and listen to him for hours. I really liked his explanation of the rebalancing of weight vs counter balance. Plus his quote of "Phil does Phil things" is gold.

great stuff here, and i appreciate adam asking some of our questions for us. sean is one of those guys i could listen to for hours on end. the smack talk was hilarious! the odyssey event guys are in for a real treat.

Thanks again to all who offered questions in the other thread to ask Sean.

Sean Toulon Interview

Just got done listening. I’d like to say Sean and the entire team couldn’t be more spot on. I’ve had a Stroke Lab Palm Beach since March. I am up to 28 birdies as of Saturday with it. We’re talking about 7 weeks. I don’t think i had 28 birdies all last year!
Also i did change the grip to a SS Pistol 2.0 the weight came out easy and the combo SS grip and 50 g weight balance it out perfectly in that 105 g range. Now they need to see the shaft separately so i can put it in my other Toulons!!
Stroke Lab works period!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got done listening. I’d like to say Sean and the entire team couldn’t be more spot on. I’ve had a Stroke Lab Palm Beach since March. I am up to 28 birdies as of Saturday with it. We’re talking about 7 weeks. I don’t think i had 28 birdies all last year!
Also i did change the grip to a SS Pistol 2.0 the weight came out easy and the combo SS grip and 50 g weight balance it out perfectly in that 105 g range. Now they need to see the shaft separately so i can put it in my other Toulons!!
Stroke Lab works period!

I've had putting performances of 32, 29, 36, and 31 with my SL. The 36 was an outlier. I just lost all interest in that round near the end. The 29 was a legit good putting round and I think I even had 1 or 2 three putts that day. My other two round have been acceptable even with a couple 3 putts due to excellent chipping.

I don't think the SL is the end all, be all, but I'm doing fairly well with it so far. I'm not ready to declare it the greatest thing for mankind since Jesus died on Calvary, but it holding its spot in the bag firmly so far.

I've had putting performances of 32, 29, 36, and 31 with my SL. The 36 was an outlier. I just lost all interest in that round near the end. The 29 was a legit good putting round and I think I even had 1 or 2 three putts that day. My other two round have been acceptable even with a couple 3 putts due to excellent chipping.

I don't think the SL is the end all, be all, but I'm doing fairly well with it so far. I'm not ready to declare it the greatest thing for mankind since Jesus died on Calvary, but it holding its spot in the bag firmly so far.

Agree, not end all, be all, but for now it’s pretty darn good. Has improved my stroke immensely. So much so I’m tinkering with a shaft combo of my own since I can’t get one after market for my other Toulons.

Agree, not end all, be all, but for now it’s pretty darn good. Has improved my stroke immensely. So much so I’m tinkering with a shaft combo of my own since I can’t get one after market for my other Toulons.

I just saw one sell for $30 on WRX. I was kicking myself when I saw it.

I just saw one sell for $30 on WRX. I was kicking myself when I saw it.

Man I would’ve jumped on that.

Back