BigCountryStein

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 1.1
I did a forum and Google search and found nothing, but mods please merge if possible.

How many of you stretch before a round? Or even practicing?

The reason I ask is because I've been underswinging lately and I feel super stiff and can't take the club back 100% of the way which is pretty odd being only 20. What I thought was a full swing was 75%, and even when I work at the range and I take a longer swing, I can only manage 90%.

I think a lot of it has to do with my recent weight gain (mostly fat, but muscle bulk as well) and lack of stretching before and after working out, as well as before and after my rounds and practice sessions.

I'm going to start stretching my bi's, tri's, shoulders, chest, lower back, glutes and calves before and after every time I workout or play golf, just one stretch each to start. I'm hoping that eventually that, getting monthly massages, going to the steam room and hydating properly will make me more flexible and have a overall healthier body.

What is your stretching routine? Do you do anything special to stay limber?

I need to dig a little, but I believe that dynamic stretching is the best to do before an athletic endeavour. The slow static stretching will not lossen you up as effectively. I think I read that somewhere on the Internet. I could be very wrong on that.

Thankfully, with the workouts I do I keep some pretty flexibility and usually walk up to the first tee pretty loose. Typically, the first ball I hit is my opening tee shot.

I need to dig a little, but I believe that dynamic stretching is the best to do before an athletic endeavour. The slow static stretching will not lossen you up as effectively. I think I read that somewhere on the Internet. I could be very wrong on that.

Thankfully, with the workouts I do I keep some pretty flexibility and usually walk up to the first tee pretty loose. Typically, the first ball I hit is my opening tee shot.
That is true from what I've been taught. I will definitely get the blood going a bit first before stretching out, either with my Orange Whip or swinging 2 wedges at once.

That is true from what I've been taught. I will definitely get the blood going a bit first before stretching out, either with my Orange Whip or swinging 2 wedges at once.
I am not sure what long static held stretches actually do. I would think that those orange whip swings should loosen you up plenty fine. If you have limited range of motion caused from lifting weights, you may need to reexamine how you're lifting weights.

Just my .02¢ so take it for whatever you believe it to he worth.

I am not sure what long static held stretches actually do. I would think that those orange whip swings should loosen you up plenty fine. If you have limited range of motion caused from lifting weights, you may need to reexamine how you're lifting weights.

One step ahead of ya buddy. I doubled my rep count and dropped my lift weights from 50-75%. I'm also using the static stretches after each set of reps, apparently it makes the muscles "leaner" and lets the muscle group recover faster.

One step ahead of ya buddy. I doubled my rep count and dropped my lift weights from 50-75%. I'm also using the static stretches after each set of reps, apparently it makes the muscles "leaner" and lets the muscle group recover faster.

Ok. I meant more about movement patterns and exercise selection. I also don't know what "leaner" muscles are. I hope you have success.

I do the long static stretch thing before everything athletic activity I do. I can't give you science on why or how i feel that it works, but I can't deny that I feel more loose and spry when I stretch compared to when not. This is especially true with snowboarding. My body just can't hit it and go like it used to so ten minutes of stretching the legs and back is necessary to get going and I've sustained a few minor muscle pulls on days that I didn't stretch first.

I like my old baseball stretches for loosening up my arms and shoulders, in particular. I surprised at how stiff they can get.

Last edited:
The movement selection is pretty solid IMO. What I meant by leaner was working less towards bulk and having strong compact muscle groups and stretching them out with lots of reps, as well as the static stretches.

Solid advice from Blu. I did static stretching religiously after a back injury in my 20's with little to no benefit. Dynamic stretching is much more effective for me.

There was a thread here late last year on stretching, those moves are actually what I use before every round and range session.

Static stretching are what I use to stretch the limits of my muscles and joints, just to get them loose and let blood circulate in them.

Then I do some practice swings. I know I'm not young anymore, and it's better use of the lull on the first tee than smoking or goofing off.

I start with toe touch until the pain goes away. Then quad stretched to balance out the upper leg. Move to hip stretch and calf. Then I take a SW over head with two hands and straight arms. Drop the arms behind the head to stretch the shoulders and chest. Then I pull each arm
across my chest to stretch the shoulder. Club on shoulder twist to get the back and two club swings.

Stretching

I need to get better at doing this before just about every physical activity I do.

Before I play I typically do a little leg and back stretches as well as what panda said about holding an iron over my head and slowly going back. Also like to hold a club at my waist and so some twisting. After that it's really just starting with half swings working up to full swings with a lot of holding at the top and exaggerating my follow thru.

Stretching

Interesting that this thread showed up. Played my first 18 after work on Monday by myself in 3 hours. I was pretty sore afterwards. Went for a lesson on Tuesday and my coach said to me "I can't do anything help you today, you're too stiff" spent the rest of the time stretching. Going back today and will be spending the first 15 minutes stretching. Got to make it a habit!

I usually try do a little basic yoga in the mornings then a bit of dynamic stretching with a club in my hand, 3/4 swing type stuff where I make a swing but instead of stopping in the finish position just swing backwards. Seems to work all right but always curious on the subject because I honestly don't know much about it.

When I get better and hit the single handicapper mark, I'm going to stretch like Miguel Angel Jimenez.

I like the routine tadashi and thanks for the link JB.

Stretching is annoying and really is boring (IMO) while you're actually doing it, but it definitely makes a difference. Taking the club back farther was easier to do today, hopefully improvements come session by session. Going to the steam room right now.

Since I pulled a groin muscle last year, I always spend a minute or so stretching prior to hitting golf balls. That is something I don't want to endure again.

Since I pulled a groin muscle last year, I always spend a minute or so stretching prior to hitting golf balls. That is something I don't want to endure again.
I've pulled my hammy, I could only imagine the groin.

I was taking the club back 90% or more every swing today. Dynamic stretches to warm up the muscles help a lot, and the static stretches in the gym are helping me keep away some soreness and hopefully helping my flexibility as well.

Stretching is always important but even more so as you get older!

Back