Cobra One Length irons question.

Hamfist

I promise not to murder Canadan.
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
Having recently gotten a set of these (thanks, Stew!) that range from 19* hybrid to G wedge (49 degree IIRC) my question goes to the SW.

Do most people opt for a non-one length SW versus a set SW? The 54* has been my wedge of choice for 50 and in, and I'm unsure if a non-set length would detract from the whole idea.

I don't think it would, but am curious to hear input regarding it.

Thanks in advance.

Having recently gotten a set of these (thanks, Stew!) that range from 19* hybrid to G wedge (49 degree IIRC) my question goes to the SW.

Do most people opt for a non-one length SW versus a set SW? The 54* has been my wedge of choice for 50 and in, and I'm unsure if a non-set length would detract from the whole idea.

Thanks in advance.

I opted to go with standard length wedges because well, I'm comfortable with the ones in my bag currently. If you're comfortable with what's already in your bag, no sense in changing them.

I know some other's have gone full on OL and have had success...

I am playing the PW and GW in the one length setup, and then have 52 and 56 wedges in the normal wedge length. Some people have discussed using a "two length" set up with 4i though 9i being one length and the wedges being a second, shorter length. I think that may be there I end up at some point shortly.

I opted to go with standard length wedges because well, I'm comfortable with the ones in my bag currently. If you're comfortable with what's already in your bag, no sense in changing them.

I know some other's have gone full on OL and have had success...

I was leaning toward that, since I still have my set SW. Might be time to start wedge pondering.

I think if you are very comfortable with your current wedge game, then you may as well stick with it. But if not, then I'd suggest trying OL wedges. Personally, I love having OL all the way down to 60*, but everyone is different. When I pick up a regular wedge, it feels very weird to me, while the OL wedges just feel right.

I am playing the PW and GW in the one length setup, and then have 52 and 56 wedges in the normal wedge length. Some people have discussed using a "two length" set up with 4i though 9i being one length and the wedges being a second, shorter length. I think that may be there I end up at some point shortly.

Since my SW is the "do-everything under 50 yards club", I vary my stance/grip/choke-down a lot, so I may just find a 54 of some sort that I like and go from there.

I think if you are very comfortable with your current wedge game, then you may as well stick with it. But if not, then I'd suggest trying OL wedges. Personally, I love having OL all the way down to 60*, but everyone is different. When I pick up a regular wedge, it feels very weird to me, while the OL wedges just feel right.

Thanks for the input. The wedge game has been pretty consistent, but can always get better. I like the current one, but am not afraid to find one that performs better if I can.

Edit: slightly OT, but I had a much better experience with the OL this time at the range. Just a matter of them "clicking".

Last edited:
I stayed with the One Length concept in my additional wedge.

Thanks in advance.

I have “normal” length wedges in my bag but I play the One Length hybrid and irons. It’s all a personal preference. I got the yips with the long wedge in my hand when I was close to the green.

I’d try them out against your wedges and sweet what feels good to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have “normal” length wedges in my bag but I play the One Length hybrid and irons. It’s all a personal preference. I got the yips with the long wedge in my hand when I was close to the green.

I’d try them out against your wedges and sweet what feels good to you!

This is my biggest concern.

Do you ever find yourself choking up on it for differing shots?

Not who you asked, but I do choke up, depending on what shot I'm making. 3/4 and 1/2 shots are about halfway down the length of the grip, green side chips are basically at the end of the grip. With awkward lies I occasionally grasp some of the shaft, but that goes both ways, sometimes I need the extra length if the ball is way below my feet. (FWIW I will hit full shots with my 56* as well, which is just my normal OL setup.)

It ultimately just takes some practice to find what's most comfortable.

I use standard length wedges that I am more comfortable with.

I don't feel it's a 1 length set unless using irons all 1 length. You can use standard wedges if you want but I couldn't go around saying I play a 1 length set because its not true. They make 1 length wedges for a reason, because they go with the 1 length set. I even have the 1 length hybrid

I don't feel it's a 1 length set unless using irons all 1 length. You can use standard wedges if you want but I couldn't go around saying I play a 1 length set because its not true. They make 1 length wedges for a reason, because they go with the 1 length set. I even have the 1 length hybrid

Meh to each their own, my irons are one length, my wedges are not and I still say I play one length.

Play what works for you and makes you happy. What you call it is completely up to you.

Meh to each their own, my irons are one length, my wedges are not and I still say I play one length.

Play what works for you and makes you happy. What you call it is completely up to you.

Exactly! That's why I call my Camry a Corvette. Even though it's clearly a Camry i'm happy calling it a Corvette!

I went to the F8 One lengths last year in 5-P. The slightly stronger lifts and combined with the longer length have created a bit of a yardage gap in my set.

I play standard wedges, Callaway Mack Daddy 4s. The F8 PW is about 130 and I have step on the 50* to get to 120. I’ve learned to choke down and punch the PW to get 120-125.

I’ve often thought maybe I should have gone with the One GW but I’ve found a reasonable solution

Not who you asked, but I do choke up, depending on what shot I'm making. 3/4 and 1/2 shots are about halfway down the length of the grip, green side chips are basically at the end of the grip. With awkward lies I occasionally grasp some of the shaft, but that goes both ways, sometimes I need the extra length if the ball is way below my feet. (FWIW I will hit full shots with my 56* as well, which is just my normal OL setup.)

It ultimately just takes some practice to find what's most comfortable.

Indeed.

Back