Chipotle Burgers?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Chipotle filed for a trademark with the name Better Burger and looks to be expanding.

“It’s a growth seed idea we are exploring,” he said in an e-mail. “We have two non-Chipotle growth seeds open now -- ShopHouse and Pizzeria Locale -- and have noted before that the Chipotle model could be applied to a wide variety of foods.”

Chris Arnold, a spokesman for the Denver-based company.

Better Burger - Now with NO E-Coli :act-up:

That might be interesting but they'll have a hard time making a burger cost wise that would be beat the alternative that could be purchased at in & out or habit burger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw Chipotle and felt obligated to open and comment in this thread! Damn that e-coli nonsense...I think they'll change burger game!

• Admin
I don't understand the want to be part of a market dominated by already established places.

I like the idea of the build your own burger as you go down the line model, assuming you could figure out a good way to keep the burgers warm without overcooking, but not from Chipotle!

They will need to market this well, as JB stated, it is a very competitive business.

• Admin
I don't understand the want to be part of a market dominated by already established places.

And newcomers that are killing it right now like Shake Shack.
The model for Chipotle works brilliantly, but partly because there were no other major players in the game outside of Moe's which was mostly regional at the time. Then add the power or McDonalds marketing that was involved in Chipotle and it was a brilliant move.

If they keep this small scale like their other places, I could see it working, just not sure on the national level long term.

I'm always up for trying a burger from anyplace as long as it does not have mayo on it. Picking my own toppings would be fun.

I'm always up for trying a burger from anyplace as long as it does not have mayo on it. Picking my own toppings would be fun.

I share your disdain for mayo :D

The model for Chipotle works brilliantly, but partly because there were no other major players in the game outside of Moe's which was mostly regional at the time. Then add the power or McDonalds marketing that was involved in Chipotle and it was a brilliant move.

If they keep this small scale like their other places, I could see it working, just not sure on the national level long term.

I agree. Chipotle was killing it before the whole e. coli fiasco because really no other Mexican fast food place was doing what they were doing. Moe's as JB mentioned and Qdoba are the only two I can think of with a similar concept. Given the choice between the three, I'm 110% choosing Chipotle. But burgers?
I'm all about coming up with new ideas and changing the game, but this is a saturated market. They would have to do something really unique and different to take market share from the already established giants. I for one have no interest in going to a place where all the burgers are sitting in a tub waiting to be made into "your perfect burger".

I had a Shake Shack burger for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was incredible and very cheap.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Haha. You should be hired.

On a serious note, this is a very crowded market.

Isn't Chipotle owned by McDonald's? If so, I'll pass...e-coli or not.

****Nevermind...I just read your post about the tie in of Chipotle and McDonald's...I'm still passing.

Ummm no thanks.

Isn't Chipotle owned by McDonald's? If so, I'll pass...e-coli or not.

They haven't been owned by McD's for years. From t3h interw3bz:

Founded by Steve Ells in July 1993, Chipotle had 16 restaurants (all in Colorado) when McDonald's Corporation became a major investor in 1998. By the time McDonald's fully divested itself from Chipotle in 2006, the chain had grown to over 500 locations.

They haven't been owned by McD's for years. From t3h interw3bz:

Founded by Steve Ells in July 1993, Chipotle had 16 restaurants (all in Colorado) when McDonald's Corporation became a major investor in 1998. By the time McDonald's fully divested itself from Chipotle in 2006, the chain had grown to over 500 locations.

Thanks Josh...I thought I heard about those two companies in the same sentence before. I'm no fan of McDonald's so I'll just leave it at that.

Fuddrucker's does this same thing with burgers. Add in the e-coli and I'll pass.

It's a tough market, but done the right way, and perhaps "differently" than current options, I could see it sticking. We know it would be unlikely to beat the prices of typical fast food joints, so it'll have to be a "better burger". In our area (if they were to attempt this in my local market), they would be up against the typical fast food places plus Five Guys, and some local places. I guess I'd see them competing more with Five Guys than anything else - around my locale, anyway.

I could see them working in the right markets. It will have to be more of a 5guys price point, maybe a bit more like a $10 burger, vs going after fast food. If the burger is good and they keep it simple I can see it working.

I get that they want to try to expand. Obviously, to stand still is to take no new ground. However, like you said JB, that's a pretty big market to try and expand into. You'd better have a REALLY awesome burger if you expect me to eat a $8 quarter pound cheese burger that looks and tastes like one from the bar down the street, and there is cost $5.

Sure why not, as long as everything is safe and the employees don't have norovirus

Back