Motorized/Power Push Carts

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
Who uses a battery powered push cart? What do you have and what are your thoughts about it? Does it make enough difference that the cost and extra hassle of use merits it relative to a high end push cart, such as a Clickgear 3.5+?

I am testing a Club Booster eWheels 1.0 right now with a clicgear 3.5.

I have Bat Caddy with lithium battery pack & remote. While I don’t use it much anymore, I did find it easier to use and kept me a tad fresher at the end of the round not having to push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Bat Caddy with lithium battery pack & remote. While I don’t use it much anymore, I did find it easier to use and kept me a tad fresher at the end of the round not having to push it.

Which Bat Caddy do you have and how is the quality?

Seriously considering a Motocaddy M5 or a Powakaddy C2i but can’t convince myself to pull the trigger. Pushing a Sun Mountain for now but the idea of sending it ahead and just walking is pretty appealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had to look it up, I have the X4R. As far as quality goes, I haven’t had any issues with mine other than the front wheel bearing going out but I had a couple rounds on it by that time. The last time I used it, the remote was acting up but that’s was 4-5 months ago and I haven’t used it since. I would recommend it but I found that I enjoy carrying so it sits in the garage.

I use Club Booster Ewheels with my CaddyTek push cart. Most of the guys walk at my course in league and during group play and about 1/3 of those have electric carts so I decided to give a try. It really is nice. I can play 18 and be fresh after. That was not the case with just a push cart and all the hills.

This is going to be my next big purchase I think. Was looking at one at Golf USA when I was there Sunday, and it looks pretty easy to take down and fold up.

I am entering my 5th year with my Bat Caddy XR4 and other than tires (tread) and battery (not lithium), both of which were normal wear items, it has been flawless. The thing that I always liked about Bat Caddy and some others that you can do all maintenance yourself and parts are readily available. I walk >100 rounds each year and the remote makes the walk so much more enjoyable.

I am entering my 5th year with my Bat Caddy XR4 and other than tires (tread) and battery (not lithium), both of which were normal wear items, it has been flawless. The thing that I always liked about Bat Caddy and some others that you can do all maintenance yourself and parts are readily available. I walk >100 rounds each year and the remote makes the walk so much more enjoyable.

What kind of bag are you using on this? Will it work with a stand bag or cart bag?

I'm leaning toward the eWheels setup for my ClicGear 3.5+ and hopefully, I can make something happen in the next couple of months.

What kind of bag are you using on this? Will it work with a stand bag or cart bag?

I am using a cart bag, have used a Sun Mountain H2NO and a Cobra bag, both were fine although you do get occasional shifting to off-center (probably impacted more due to a weight distribution within the bag) but just a quick twitch to re-center and all is good. I probably could Jerry-rig something to stop but it is not a big deal. I have never used my carry bag though on the cart so I can’t comment.

About 80% of the rounds at my club are walked and there are about 40 guys with electric push carts mostly used by the over 60 golfers. They all seem to work well. This is my first year not carrying - I bought a Bag Boy Triswivel push cart before the season. For me after the first couple weeks of golf season my legs and lungs get into golf shape for easily walking 18 or 27 holes. I’m a gadget guy and though about getting one but I know my regular golf buddies would give me a ton of grief if I bought a motorized cart before age 65. :act-up:

For those looking, I'd highly recommend Powacaddie. Solid battery reliability and fantastic customer service.

About 80% of the rounds at my club are walked and there are about 40 guys with electric push carts mostly used by the over 60 golfers. They all seem to work well. This is my first year not carrying - I bought a Bag Boy Triswivel push cart before the season. For me after the first couple weeks of golf season my legs and lungs get into golf shape for easily walking 18 or 27 holes. I’m a gadget guy and thought about getting one but I know my regular golf buddies would give me a ton of grief if I bought a motorized cart before age 65. :act-up:

That’s a terrible reason for not doing it. They are everywhere in Europe and I think over time, their popularity will catch on here in the states. I’m glad I didn’t wait 20+ years to get one!

About 80% of the rounds at my club are walked and there are about 40 guys with electric push carts mostly used by the over 60 golfers. They all seem to work well. This is my first year not carrying - I bought a Bag Boy Triswivel push cart before the season. For me after the first couple weeks of golf season my legs and lungs get into golf shape for easily walking 18 or 27 holes. I’m a gadget guy and though about getting one but I know my regular golf buddies would give me a ton of grief if I bought a motorized cart before age 65. :act-up:

I got mine in my mid 30’s. All the guys in my group have motorized carts & before our course went semi-private, another story all together, more of them were showing up.

I got mine in my mid 30’s. All the guys in my group have motorized carts & before our course went semi-private, another story all together, more of them were showing up.

I might get one as I often play 27 or more holes in a day. The hassle is my club doesn't charge the batteries so I'd have to take them home to charge every few rounds.

I might get one as I often play 27 or more holes in a day. The hassle is my club doesn't charge the batteries so I'd have to take them home to charge every few rounds.

That is an issue you’ll have to get used to & don’t forget the occasional “I left the battery at home”. I saw that a few times.

That is an issue you’ll have to get used to & don’t forget the occasional “I left the battery at home”. I saw that a few times.

Yep, dragging the battery around would be a bit of a hassle, and so far at age 54, I have no problem walking 36 holes with a push-cart. My course opened April 19th and even with a couple of rainouts, today will be my 14th round at home.

Pushed mine around a fairly hilly course today, finger paused over the Powakaddy C2i button. Trying to convince myself I’m not just lazy or gadget lusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am testing a Club Booster eWheels 1.0 right now with a clicgear 3.5.

What do you think? Can it turn the cart despite a fixed front wheel?

I decided to walk this year and bought a clicgear 8. My course is very hilly and after 54 holes I decided to purchase the ewheels kit. I just ordered it last night!

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about a bat caddy lately. Printed out the comparison sheet to figure out all the differences so I can decide from there.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'll weigh in here. I currently own a Clicgear 3.5+, which is a great push cart, that I keep for wet days. I've owned 3 electric caddies, and still have the 3rd one, a Bat Caddy X3R. My 1st electric caddy was a cheap one that I can't even remember the name, but it snapped in two after a few months (the seller wouldn't even contact me back). My 2nd electric caddy was a Black Max that lasted 4 years.

I bought my X3R from TGW.com during one of their 25% off sales, so I got the caddy for just under $522. At the time, I was walking approximately 70 rounds per year, thus it paid for itself in a short period of time. Until the SLA battery gave up the ghost here recently, I've only suffered 2 issues with it. (1) The original anti-tip wheel was very cheap plastic that snapped after just a couple of rounds. A friend made me a metal one that looks like the jury-rig it is, but it's effective. (2) the caddy has always had a maddening tendency to pull to the left. I've tried everything Bat Caddy recommends including adjusting the front wheel, shifting bag weight to the right, and putting as much weight up high as possible. I even went as far as buying a super light bag that only weighs 4.9 lbs by itself. I won't say the effect of all this was non-existent, but the issue remains. Do I regret the purchase? Absolutely not. I used the caddy for 3 years until I ran into some health issues, and I'm actually contemplating restarting with it.

A few tips based on my experiences for those contemplating buying their 1st electric caddy. (1) Spend the extra money to get a remote controlled electric caddy. You don't have to use the remote all the time, but you'll appreciate having it. (2) Carry extra batteries for the remote in your bag. (3) Physically put your hand on the handle when near water, sand, etc. Otherwise, you'll find these things suddenly have a mind of their own if not physically controlled near such things. (4) If you run the caddy sideways on a rather steep hill, it WILL tip over. There is no cart made that will not. I've seen some consumer reviews that actually complained about such tip overs. (5) Practice with the caddy before taking it to the course to get a feel for the controls. (6) Whatever the range of your remote (I can run my Bat Caddy almost 150 yards away from me), keep the caddy relatively close. If not, it will find holes you never knew existed on your course.

I'm sure there's more I could say, but that's all that comes immediately to mind.

Those are all good and valid points.

I now have 6 rounds on the one I purchased. I admit that it makes a difference at the end of a round on a hilly course. I am not sure it makes a difference in how I feel on a flat course, relative to my Clickgear 3.5+

My motorized caddy is slick to set up, but I have struggled to keep my bag sitting tight within it, which has been frustrating. I absolutely would not spend the money on one unless it had a remote and the wheelie wheel in the back to prevent it from flipping over on an incline. Even then, I stay close by mine when going up a slope.

Back