Rory Skipping The Par 3 Contest

He is a competitor and if he thinks it helps his play from a mental standpoint It makes sense and I have no issues with it. His best finish in the masters was a year he didn't play the par3 as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesnt bother me one bit. I always thought of the par 3 contest as more for players with families anyway.

Doesn't matter to me.. I would want to play it with my family and other guys families as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was televised then yes, it would be an issue - more of an issue for patrons going to watch this event IMO

It is televised, is it not?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wednesday from 3-5p on ESPN, iirc. I usually DVR it and watch it after work.

OP: I don't mind if he skips it, but "too much hassle" sounded harsh.

I do not have an issue with this. Rory sees this as a distraction to what he is trying to accomplish. While I understand it's tradition and all that, I also understand it from the Professional standpoint that Rory is looking at it with. He has won every major, except this one, and he wants to focus on the goal of winning. If something is perceived as a distraction, then avoid it.

Wednesday from 3-5p on ESPN, iirc. I usually DVR it and watch it after work.

OP: I don't mind if he skips it, but "too much hassle" sounded harsh.
Forgive me. I thought it wasn't. I personally have never watched it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The Masters is about tradition, not happy he's doing this. Maybe it reminds him of his ex.

I don't blame him. I skipped the par 3 contest both times I was at the Masters on Wednesday. Me and my buddies went and played golf rather than fighting the crowds at the par 3.

I love the par 3 contest and am sad he's not going to be there. But I totally understand that focusing on the main event comes first.

It's for the fans, what a bummer.

i enjoy the par 3, wouldnt of been a big deal but not sure calling it a distraction and kind of disrespecting it was appropriate.

I don't know a lot about this event, but is everyone in the Masters field playing in the Par 3 or is it invite only?

As for him skipping it, no big deal. Have any of you ever skipped an event that your company has put on? I don't see it being a whole lot different.

I'll agree that it's entirely up to him, but I don't personally like it.

The par 3 is a unique and awesome element to the Masters, and I'd love to see the big names take part out of respect for the tournament and the fans.
I'm with you. Par 3 contest is all for the fans and without the fans these guys wouldn't be getting the checks they are when they win. Suck it up, put on a fake smile and go out and have fun. If he wants to purposely disqualify himself because of the jynx no biggie but at least participate.

I recall a lot of people raking Rickie Fowler over the coals for skipping Bay Hill, because if you get a chance to interact with the legends of the game, you do it. I feel like the Par 3 Contest is one of those times. I know there's a bit of a circus atmosphere to it, but to me, it's also part of the tradition that is the Masters. I can't really fault someone who's in his shoes for doing what he thinks he needs to to win on Sunday, but I also can't shake the feeling that it's wrong somehow.

He'll redeem himself if he shows up this Sunday and makes an appearance at the Putt, Chip and Drive event. I still think he should have played in the par 3 contest though.

I'd be a little ticked if I was attending the par 3 event. I guess I'd say I am not bothered by it if he has a really good showing in the Masters, and only slightly bothered by it if he doesn't play well in the Masters.

Did Tiger every play it before he had kids? I can't remember if he played when he was younger.

I have no problem with it.

I don't think it's a big deal, but I couldn't imagine skipping it if I was a player.

Not sure I would care whether he played or not. I guess it's his decision and he should be left alone about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back