Bridgestone
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: How would you compare the Callaway Apex CF19 vs Ping G410?

  1. #1
    Club Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Omaha, ne
    Posts
    468
    Member
    40019
    Handicap
    12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    185
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

    How would you compare the Callaway Apex CF19 vs Ping G410?

    I know that you might want to consider the Apex CF19 a distance players iron and the G410 a game improvement iron and that the G410 might be more comparable to the Callaway Big Bertha, but I'd like to get some feedback in the following areas.

    Forgiveness
    Distance
    Feel
    Appearance

    If anyone has played or compared them both, I'd appreciate the feedback.

  2. #2
    Major Champion Antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    1,162
    Member
    47829
    Handicap
    21.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,253
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,087
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    I recently tried both during a fitting.

    I was fit into the Apex---and it wasn't close---so I am seriously biased.

    The feel to me was substantially better with the Apex.

    The Pings felt "dead" to me.

    I could also feel my misses with the Callaways (thin, toe, etc.). Pings no idea.

    I was also not a fan of the look of the Pings.

    My comment to the fitter was "these look like the G400 Crossovers I used to game in the 3 and 4."

    My smash and ball speed was also much better with the Callaways as well.

    I would strongly recommend a fitting to compare clubs from mutliple manufacturers.

    Every swing is different.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Antihero For This Useful Post:

    Canio (05-22-2019), CobraX51 (05-22-2019), McLovin (05-21-2019)

  4. #3
    Ima lil Gcup shortNstout

    McLovin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    24,295
    Member
    23812
    Handicap
    5.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    43,579
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20,758
    Thanked in
    10,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
    I recently tried both during a fitting.

    I was fit into the Apex---and it wasn't close---so I am seriously biased.

    The feel to me was substantially better with the Apex.

    The Pings felt "dead" to me.

    I could also feel my misses with the Callaways (thin, toe, etc.). Pings no idea.

    I was also not a fan of the look of the Pings.

    My comment to the fitter was "these look like the G400 Crossovers I used to game in the 3 and 4."

    My smash and ball speed was also much better with the Callaways as well.

    I would strongly recommend a fitting to compare clubs from mutliple manufacturers.

    Every swing is different.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    i think it’s important to add some context for irons you have enjoyed in the past. did the cf19 replace your 718 ap2? if so, to me that says a lot about the look and feel you prefer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    awesomeness
    perfection
    innovation
    excellence
    brilliance
    pioneering
    leading
    redefining

    Humbled, honored, and beaming with excitement to be the Captain (what, CAPTAIN???) of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McLovin For This Useful Post:

    Antihero (05-21-2019), DataDude (05-21-2019)

  6. #4
    Major Champion Antihero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    1,162
    Member
    47829
    Handicap
    21.0
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,253
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,087
    Thanked in
    531 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    i think it’s important to add some context for irons you have enjoyed in the past. did the cf19 replace your 718 ap2? if so, to me that says a lot about the look and feel you prefer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fair comment. And yes.

    Love the AP2-but not for looks.

    I didn't find my way into those due to ego (waaay too bad at this game for that) or looks---purely feel and happenstance.

    And they do feel great on well struck shots. Love the ball flight on good strikes. Nice high draw.

    Also love that I can always tell where I missed.

    That being said---the Apex smash and ball speed averages were enough to persuade me to move away from them.

    They're just a lot more forgiving and it's not close.

    But they don't look too chunky to my eye---and the feel factor is still there (though maybe a bit muted).



    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  7. #5
    Ima lil Gcup shortNstout

    McLovin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    orlando
    Posts
    24,295
    Member
    23812
    Handicap
    5.9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    43,579
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    20,758
    Thanked in
    10,299 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
    Fair comment. And yes.

    Love the AP2-but not for looks.

    I didn't find my way into those due to ego (waaay too bad at this game for that) or looks---purely feel and happenstance.

    And they do feel great on well struck shots. Love the ball flight on good strikes. Nice high draw.

    Also love that I can always tell where I missed.

    That being said---the Apex smash and ball speed averages were enough to persuade me to move away from them.

    They're just a lot more forgiving and it's not close.

    But they don't look too chunky to my eye---and the feel factor is still there (though maybe a bit muted).



    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    i gamed those irons for a bit too, but gave up a ton of distance. the cf19 are a fantastic blend of what so many of us want, AND what so many of us need.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    awesomeness
    perfection
    innovation
    excellence
    brilliance
    pioneering
    leading
    redefining

    Humbled, honored, and beaming with excitement to be the Captain (what, CAPTAIN???) of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McLovin For This Useful Post:

    Antihero (05-21-2019), CobraX51 (05-22-2019), obedt (05-22-2019), Tenputt (05-21-2019)

  9. #6
    Team THP for Life
    mpeterson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    20,024
    Member
    17872
    Handicap
    9.5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,159
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    15,524
    Thanked in
    7,358 Posts
    CF19 are a very forgiving iron, but I think that needs to be taken into the context of the profile - they’re still relatively compact. The G410 are similar in size if not slightly bigger than the AP1 my wife plays and I was surprised how much more compact the CF19 looked side to side with the AP1 when I compared them. Dnevs said the target handicap for those is about a 10 and that feels right to me - obviously the range they’ll work for is wider but I can see that as the target.

    If you’re looking at the G series and you tend to miss heel-toe I’d at least give the Bertha irons a shot too. They’re probably slightly larger but the performance is great and feel I think was better than the PING.

    If you tend to center up the ball pretty well but miss more low, there is no iron in its class that’s better there than the CF19.
    Proud member of Team THP in the 2018 Granddaddy with

    Driver: Epic Flash With Custom HZRDUS Smoke
    Fairway: Epic Flash with Tensei Blue 75
    Hybrids: '19 Apex 3h and 4h with Catalyst 70
    Irons: Apex Forged 5-PW w/ Elevate 95
    Wedges: MD4 48-54-58 w/ Modus 105
    Putter: Stroke Lab Three
    Ball: Chrome Soft X

    Thanks to PX and THP for an incredible Handcrafted Experience!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to mpeterson For This Useful Post:

    ddec (05-22-2019)

  11. #7
    Club Pro BlkNGld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    363
    Member
    16098
    Handicap
    loft
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    54
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    101
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Forgiveness - Depends on how you miss. Left to right I'd give the nod to the Pings, but the CF19s are really good for their size. If you hit fat a lot, 410s are likely to be more helpful. Apex is really good on thins.

    Distance - I'd give Apex the nod here by about 1/2 club on the irons with the cup face.

    Feel - I prefer Apex, but someone accustomed to the Ping feel may go the other way.

    Appearance - Apex for me by a mile.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkNGld For This Useful Post:

    McLovin (05-22-2019)

  13. #8

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    8
    Member
    52879
    Handicap
    36
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    8
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
    Fair comment. And yes.

    Love the AP2-but not for looks.

    I didn't find my way into those due to ego (waaay too bad at this game for that) or looks---purely feel and happenstance.

    And they do feel great on well struck shots. Love the ball flight on good strikes. Nice high draw.

    Also love that I can always tell where I missed.

    That being said---the Apex smash and ball speed averages were enough to persuade me to move away from them.

    They're just a lot more forgiving and it's not close.

    But they don't look too chunky to my eye---and the feel factor is still there (though maybe a bit muted).



    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Went for a fitting a few weeks ago and I went with the Apex as well. My ball speed was down compared to the other heads but the smash factor was a lot higher than any of the others I tried.

  14. #9
    Club Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Omaha, ne
    Posts
    468
    Member
    40019
    Handicap
    12
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    185
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    I've played the Cf16 in the past (for about a year), then for no reason that makes sense to me, I move on to the Ping i500's. I tended to have too many mishits with the i500's for my liking. I had subsequently traded-in the CF16's for some woods and wish I still had them. Hence the interest in the CF19's.

    My misses end to be "thins" rather than "fats". I know my specs so the fitting probably isn't necessary. I've had a couple fittings in the past and the results are always the same.

    Did anyone opt for the smoke irons? I'd go for it but concerned about the finish wearing off. I have MD4's in the dark color and after one season, it starts to wear off. Performance is still good and the color wearing off doesn't really bother me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •