Buying Driver/FW Heads without Shafts

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I've seen a handful of driver heads and fairway wood heads lately offered in BST that are brand new - some still in the plastic. In addition I always see them on eBay, yet when I buy drivers or fairway woods I can never get the head only. It doesn't matter if I've bought locally or on-line.

So, how/where are people getting these heads? I prefer not to go the eBay route to stay away from counterfeit clubs?

Thanks in advance.

A lot of different ways, but one that comes up as of late are with the free shaft upgrade program, if someone wants a particular shaft, they buy the whole package, keep the shaft and then sell the head and recoup a portion of their money.

I never thought of that. What a great idea. I'll keep that in mind next time I'm looking for a non-stock shaft - sell the head and recoup some of the cost. Sweet!

Buying anything off ebay can be a minefield especially if the item is a recent release. just make sure its offered for sale by a reputable seller such as a golf retailer or club builder and check the reviews on the seller.

I remember a long time ago I was in an Edwin Watts Golf store and was speaking to a rep. I was young at the time and asked if it was possible to buy just the driver head to which he responded no. I asked why considering I could go on eBay and purchase a driver head. The sales rep told a young CJ that the heads on eBay are probably stolen. He informed me that one day he was walking the store one day and in the Taylor-made section, all the drivers had the head missing and it looked like they had been cut from their shafts. I think at the time they were r7 Superquads. The looked at the security camera and some guy in a trench coat came in, cut all the heads off and left the store. He then stated they ended up catching him a few months later when he tried the same stunt again. Not really sure if everything he said was the truth but for a while I believed the driver heads on eBay were stolen.

Back