Head weight different in x-stiff v reg?

manhattan01

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.8
Quick question,

Are iron heads in an x-flex setup heavier than if I ordered them in a reg setup?

Simply, I have a set of iron heads in x-flex and I want to re-shaft them to stiff.

Thanks.

Should be the same. Normal tolerances are in play, but nothing drastic.

Xflex shafts may be heavier, which will change your swingweight. Your headweights will be constant but they may have or need additional weight added or subtracted for desired feel.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

In my experience it depends on the manufacturer. Some will adjust/select the correct headweights for the x flex shafts but in the past I’ve had to add lead tape to some of the iron heads in a set to get the get the swingweights consistent through the entire set. My Srixon Z565/765 set has the X100 AMT shafts which get progressively 4 grams lighter as you move from the wedge at 130 grams down to the 3 iron at 112 grams. They came from the factory all at the same swingweight so Srixon is one that makes the necessary adjustments. Maybe not a surprise with them being made in Japan instead of China.

In my experience it depends on the manufacturer. Some will adjust/select the correct headweights for the x flex shafts but in the past I’ve had to add lead tape to some of the iron heads in a set to get the get the swingweights consistent through the entire set. My Srixon Z565/765 set has the X100 AMT shafts which get progressively 4 grams lighter as you move from the wedge at 130 grams down to the 3 iron at 112 grams. They came from the factory all at the same swingweight so Srixon is one that makes the necessary adjustments. Maybe not a surprise with them being made in Japan instead of China.

+1
CC.jpg

From what I've read/been told the majority of OEM's produce 1 head weight for a given design that is progressive from the 3i to the PW (or G/S/L when part of a set). The longer irons are lighter to accommodate the added shaft length.

One exception is Mizuno who has a lighter head option for over length clubs to try and keep the swing weight close to the advertised/specification swing weight.

The OEM's or aftermarket builders typically modify swing weight through other means (tip weights, metal powder, replacement weights when an option for a given head, lead tape, etc.)

So it is highly likely that you will end up with the standard swing weight if you install the heads into shafts trimmed properly to the original factory specifications for the heads you have.

Back