Driver swing vs iron swing

Different is my take. Mainly because we're not taking a divot with the driver, and trying to get a 0 or + AOA with it. We with our irons, we're trying to strike down on the ball creating a divot.

I don't feel like my swing is different from driver to irons. Mostly I think about where the ball is in stance and where my hands are at impact, and with driver I'm at or just in front of ball.

so, just so we are clear here, is the question asking whether we intentionally swing differently, or we just think that the swing itself is different? i think those are two different things.

the swing HAS to be different because the length of the club is different and the ball position is different. but your sw swing is different from your 6i swing for the same reasons. the fact that you're not taking a divot in my opinion has less to do with intention and more to do with setup and club design.

Sure the driver will have an open face if you had the ball placed in the same position as your irons. Not even worth continuing this debate though

Different is my take. Mainly because we're not taking a divot with the driver, and trying to get a 0 or + AOA with it. We with our irons, we're trying to strike down on the ball creating a divot.

I have no idea what my AOA is, but when I start thinking it needs to be more on the plus side things get ugly.

For sure that brings trouble. I know it well lol

Oh yes. Doesn't take much of miscue for me to fin a lot of it ha.

I have no idea what my AOA is, but when I start thinking it needs to be more on the plus side things get ugly.

Oh yes. Doesn't take much of miscue for me to fin a lot of it ha.
Angle of Attack

I don't feel like my swing is different from driver to irons. Mostly I think about where the ball is in stance and where my hands are at impact, and with driver I'm at or just in front of ball.

Imo this has always been a (for lack of a better word) confusing topic. One thing I think a lot of us at least believe is that we "feel" like its a different swing. But due to the things mentioned in the above quotes and perhaps some other differences it not only feels different but also does make it somewhat easy to then (right, wrong, or indifferent) say its is different. One we are hitting down, the other at (usually) zero to up. One with hands ahead, the other not so. Both are different swing planes, both different ball position or for some players the same ball position yet different leg position for that same reason.

Imo these are enough differences for many of us to certainly at least "feel" like the swing is different and also may be enough to debate that it is. I guess it depends how one views it. Even if one might view this as still being the same swing, we are contacting the ball at a different place in the swing are we not?
Would it not be fair to say that the energy transferred to the ball and where everything with the body, arms, hands, etc.. (via timing) must come together at point of contact including a square (or desired) face angle needs to arrive in a slightly different place in the swing for the two strikes? Are we not delivering all this at a different place and time even if the swing is the same? Doesn't that technically make the swing different? If we hypothetically spent our energy and all our timing and alignments the way we would for hitting our 7iron even though we have a driver in hand, then wouldn't we then horribly mishit the driver? Isnt there enough differences here that not only is the swing going to feel different but to also perhaps make the case that it is different?

MOI matching is nothing new, pretty sure Tom Wishon has been doing it for a long time. Just a different way to do it instead of swing weight.

Golfers slice because they have face open to the path. The longer the club the higher the ball speed, the higher the ball speed the more spin is imparted, the more spin the more the ball curves. No need to over think it.

Why do you think most golfers are slicing their driver but not the other clubs?
Because the longer driver accentuates swing flaws.
The shorter wedges mask those same flaws.

I think it's naive to think equipment is the only answer, and swing flaws aren't an issue.

MOI matching is nothing new, pretty sure Tom Wishon has been doing it for a long time. Just a different way to do it instead of swing weight.
I'd venture a guess that MOI matching doesn't magically fix everyone's slice.
If it were that easy, no one would slice the ball with their driver.

Equipment can only attenuate some of the things a golfer does. Truth is most golfers play standard equipment that doesn't fit them, and most golfers don't understand what causes a slice or hook and any adjustments they make usually only make things worse and develop into worse habits, no moi matching, equipment fitting or magic dust you can use to fix what a golfer decides to do with his mind and body.

If your driver swing is about control then it's very similar to an iron swing. But if it's about power and giving up some accuracy while doing it, then no it's not like an iron swing.

It's supposed to be the same, I think it just feels different due to the bigger arc.

Because the longer driver accentuates swing flaws.
The shorter wedges mask those same flaws.

I think it's naive to think equipment is the only answer, and swing flaws aren't an issue.
I believe the biggest reason is loft. I also believe it is largely mental. A lot of golfers grab the big dog and try to drive it eleventy billion yards

I think that the distance traveled by the ball accentuates the miss/swing flaws between clubs.

I have two different swings, probably more, but driver is different, in part because of body position and in part because of length of club.

I agree, there is no magic. Just simple physics. I do not know why, but physics is pretty much ignored in the golf industry. The advantage of having a matched set of clubs is that you then only have to ingrain one swing that can be applied to all your clubs. This happens at a subconscious level, commonly referred to as muscle memory. When your clubs are not matched your brain has to store 13 sets of muscle memories, one for each club. It is difficult for the brain to recall any such set of muscle memory on command. The game becomes so much easier when you only have one swing to learn and practice.

Signature and reference to a kickstarter campaign removed, it goes against THP rules and policies.

but physics is pretty much ignored in the golf industry.

i'm pretty sure there are some highly compensated highly educated engineers among many specializations who would beg to differ and probably take a little offense to that. and yes, i am sucking up just a bit to don at project x in hopes to get into the handcrafted event!

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks gg

Play it back in your stance, I'll bet you take a divot.

I just came back from the range and I went there today with this topic in mind. And I gave it a serious effort and now I am sorry I ever did. My swing for my driver even though its suppose to be the same swing as a 7iron is all screwed up now. Trying to establish the same motion and feeling just didn't work and then I couldn't get back my normal feeling driver swing.

Its just much too different feeling imo for it not to be considered different. Hitting down on the ball, earlier in the arc, leading with the hands, the swing plane, the length , etc, etc...all changes (or somewhat moves) for the driver and is in fact different variables that need to take place differently vs the 7iron. That imo is perhaps enough for one to say that the swing is different. If hitting down on the ball, hitting it earlier in the swing, and leading the hands, and taking the club back less and on a different plane all feels the same vs hitting up and basically changing most those things including where and when you spend the energy for the strike....I'm just not seeing how that doesn't only feel different but may be argued is different. Whether there are some certain swing variables I mentioned here that I am incorrect about or not, I don't think we can deny there are indeed at least "some" differences and therefore its different. Perhaps it doesn't just feel different but actually does so because it is different. If nothing else its interesting to discuss this :) imo

I did the same thing today at the range too - tried to really make my driver swing the same as my iron swing. Can't make it a true comparison, as the wind was gusting 30mph+ from left to right, so all shots tended to drift off on their descent. But I did notice when I really tried to make the same swing as a 7i that my launch was a lot lower.

I used this thought at the range as I have been struggling with my driver. It took a few swings to,get the concept and after 4 balls and remembering to not come out of my swing I hit two straight shots with good launch and ball height.

its definitely something I need to remember more when practicing so I can groove it

As I said earlier in this thread, play how you want, do what feels good to you and above all else have fun. Subscribe to what ever you want on the range and on the course. If you don't play this way, it won't happen in one range session but to each his own.

I spoke to three other teachers this evening about this exact topic. I ask flat out if they were the same and all three, that work with the best in the world, said it is the same. So if you don't believe me then believe them.

I need to know for those that have two different swings, how exactly do the swing differ?

I need to know for those that have two different swings, how exactly do the swing differ?
I think that what most describe as different is in fact the point you are trying to get accross... as you say the action is the same, but feels different due to setup changes and length of shaft

I said it was different at first. Thinking back about it and your comments...I need to get to the range. Maybe tomorrow. I know I set up different spine angle wise...even head placement. Could be a reason I hit it so high (for me) aside from several other issues. I think those are the major thoughts for me as to why I said different.

Back