Ping G Driver - THP Review

I ordered a 9* ls Tec with the tour 65 stiff today. Will update thread when it arrives. First driver I've purchased that wasn't sight unseen! I was producing some impressive spin numbers on the launch monitor with this driver and that, coupled with the forgiveness was enough for me to pull the trigger

I currently game with a G30 LS 10.5 with the Tour 65 stiff, finished length is 44.25" and I have a G LS coming. Its 9* and should be finished in 44.5" and D3 swing weight. I'll see how I do with the G LS head but the G30 is definitely AWESOME, a total surprise.

This will be my next driver (ping G) in the upcoming next couple weeks! As I have not bought a new one in the last 10-12 years.. just couldn't give up whats in my bag for what it is and how good its been.

Ping G Driver - THP Review

Just got mine in.
She'll play at 45" with the Tour 65 R.

f55de64794f1f7ce9405f697dadd76ba.jpg
fc04dbfbe13a7d894b851ebdd27e9e0f.jpg

58d9906833d62b9b8352339e71fde09f.jpg

Great review Dan. The dragonfly technology along with turbulators makes and interesting look but it's nice to know the saved weight was moved down and back. I like hearing that the miss resulted in a flight that stayed on the starting line.

Thanks for the review Dan. Sounds like Ping has improved on a very solid driver. The Dragonfly technology was pretty interesting to read about.

Nice review Dan! Never been a Ping fan but I will have to give this a try. Well written!

Great review, thanks Dan! I've long been a fan of Ping drivers, but I've always had to sacrifice distance for the accuracy I've seen with them. The G Series may not require that same sacrifice anymore! I've hit the LS and was very impressed, I can't wait to hit more of the G series soon!

Another great review Dan. Sounds like another solid driver from Ping that should attract a lot of interest from many golfers.

Perhaps Callaway may be inspired to introduce their version of dragonfly technology to their lineup next year. LOL.

Finally got out to play 18 with the new G LS Tec in 9*. I am really impressed with this driver and saw some impressive distances and really like the ball flight. I am also surprised by just how forgiving it is. Although it's quite loud, I can look past that in return for the solid performance.

9* G LS hits the ball low for me but damn, its really, really low spin and a ton of roll.

I have a 10.5 G LS coming next week to compare. I hope to get a little more launch out of these G heads.

"There can only be one"

I'm in love with this driver but I've only been with my G30 for less than a full season. I'll try to pick up a used one at some point but dayum I love this thing.

Bought the G 9* driver on Monday. In the hitting bay, I was hitting this baby 265 consistently while hitting my current R7 around 250 to 255. I also hit the M2, the XR16, and the G30 and the G really fit my eye better and was a lot more consistent for me.

Took it out to the range last night and this thing is a beast. I will say it is very loud! I was getting some curious looks from others on the range. But that is okay because I was blasting drives down the middle of the range. I pulled a few to the left (my miss when I get too fast) and pushed a few when my swing got a bit lazy. I noticed that the side spin was much less as the balls to the right didn't go THAT far right. They seemed to settle down rather quickly. The shaft is a bit longer, but I think I can live with that.

I noticed a huge difference dropping down to my 3 wood. That club suddenly felt weird in my hands and I was way too quick on my first swing. So I will need to work on that part for sure. Maybe extra practice swings.

Love the club so far. Huge advancement over my old R7 (which I love).

Last edited:
My first round with my new g. I hit 5 terrible drives and one personal record. Even my terrible shots were still in play and fairly long. I was fit for a tour stiff at 9.6*
12a897f1c681106425b9bfb37c819658.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice. Thanks for the thoughts and keep them coming as you get more time with the driver.

Got a 9* G from THP today. Can't wait to get it to the range & on the course.

Got the driver to the range for the 1st time today & hit it next to my D200. I'll give a little comparison below.

Looks: Both have the matte black crown that I like. I got over the "dragonfly" design of the G pretty quickly, but the D200 still wins out. It's just a great looking driver at address. Advantage D200

Sound: Based on the feedback I've read about the G being loud, I was worried I wouldn't like it. I didn't notice it being loud at all. At least not a tinny metal loud anyway. Just an authoritative crack. The D200 sounds great when you hit the center IMO, but can get pretty tinny when not struck well. Advantage G

Feel: The D200 is a really light driver. On good tempo days, I love the feel. On bad tempo days or when the wind is really blowing, I can lose the feel of the club pretty easily & start spraying it all over. The G had a little more heft to it & felt more solid at impact, but it didn't feel heavy like my friend's SLDR. Advantage G

Distance: My D200 is about 1.5 inches shorter than the G, so I was surprised that it was longer than the G on my best drives with each driver. On my average swings, they performed about the same. The forgiveness of the G really shined on poor swings. I tested the toe & heel with some pretty bad swings & the ball still got out there & stayed in the general area I was aiming at. Advantage: Push

Accuracy: When I focused on just making a smooth swing, the accuracy of the G was uncanny. I hit the trunk of the tree I was aiming at on the range several times. When I tried to add an extra gear, my accuracy suffered quite a bit. Several pulls that went dead left would have caused penalty strokes on the course. The D200 was pretty accurate as well, but not in the league of the G on normal swings. On the other hand, when I really went after the ball with the D200, my accuracy stayed pretty close to a normal swing. Advantage slightly to the G.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results of the G after the 1st range session. I hope to get it on the course tomorrow afternoon. Based on the on course results, I may put it in play for my 1st round match of our club's summer match play bracket.

I'm not sure this drivers for me with the lower launch stated in the review. I hit slightly down on the ball. Will still try it at some point.

I'm not sure this drivers for me with the lower launch stated in the review. I hit slightly down on the ball. Will still try it at some point.

Interesting. I've never heard Ping G and low launch in the same sentence.

I've found the opposite. I play a G 10.5 set at 11* and it launches higher than the G30
SF tec that I played at 11* as well.

Also I've tested many other drivers and to match the launch of the G 10.5 I've had to loft up to their 12* heads.

Now the LS Tec version is a different beast. Its lower spinning and had difficulties launching it adequately.

Interesting. I've never heard Ping G and low launch in the same sentence.

I've found the opposite. I play a G 10.5 set at 11* and it launches higher than the G30
SF tec that I played at 11* as well.

Also I've tested many other drivers and to match the launch of the G 10.5 I've had to loft up to their 12* heads.

Now the LS Tec version is a different beast. Its lower spinning and had difficulties launching it adequately.

Do you know your angle of attack?

Do you know your angle of attack?

Never had it measured but I've I know it's positive. I can put a ball sleeve box about 3" in front of the ball and completely miss the box.

Cool I will try it. Ping drivers feel so solid on decent contact. I have this and the xr 16 line on my short list.

I'm playing the SF Tec version and it definitely is not low launching. My AoA from a couple of weeks ago was averaging +2.2. I have the 10* head.

Back