Worst thing to happen to you on the golf course

lanoxrehab

Reaction score
Handicap
Was playing yesterday and a lady got stung by a bee on her neck. She started crying and her husband took her in (husband of the year)

I got to thinking what is the worst thing to ever happen to me on a golf course. I was playing this January at Coral Canyon in St. George and the rains had been bad. My ball had landed in a muddy area. I walked gingerly out to retrieve it and my foot got stuck in the mud. When I lifted my leg, my shoe stayed in the mud and I lost my balance and stepped in the mud with my stocking feet.

I finally got my shoe, but had to play with wet/muddy sock for 15 holes. It sucked. Got to remember to carry an extra pair of socks in my bag from now on.

My Father and his foursome one Sunday afternoon. One of his playing partners bent over in pain trying to pass a kidney stone, and before he received attention my father got hit in the ankle with a golf ball.
They both were carted off before finishing the first hole.

I've pulled three carts out of ponds. No, I was not driving them.

Heart Attacks. This is sad, twice now I've dealt with it (one fatality). All things considered though, I feel like it would not be the worst way to go. At least for myself.

Not me or my group, but last year there was an old guy in the group ahead of us who somehow managed to drive a buggy over a trolley and bag of clubs of one of the guys in his group

Everything got wedged under the buggy to the point that a couple of us had to lift the buggy so that another person could pull the trolley, bag and clubs out from under it

My Father and his foursome one Sunday afternoon. One of his playing partners bent over in pain trying to pass a kidney stone, and before he received attention my father got hit in the ankle with a golf ball.
They both were carted off before finishing the first hole.

I've pulled three carts out of ponds. No, I was not driving them.

Heart Attacks. This is sad, twice now I've dealt with it (one fatality). All things considered though, I feel like it would not be the worst way to go. At least for myself.

I've always said to Mrs Nut .... bury me on a golf course cause that's where I'll be when I go. Except maybe on my boat ... then just sprinkle me at sea.

To the OP question .... I was hit in the leg with a ball, not once, but twice in the same round. By two different people in the group behind us. It almost came to blows that day, let me tell you.

... I was hit in the leg with a ball, not once, but twice in the same round. By two different people in the group behind us. It almost came to blows that day, let me tell you.

I'm a pretty laid back person, but this might be one way to elevate my ire.

I'm a pretty laid back person, but this might be one way to elevate my ire.

Yeah once .... I get it, things happen on the course. But the second time!? They hit into us on a blind second shot into a par 5. Luckily it bounced first & didn't hit on the fly. I had a nice dimple bruise on my leg for a few days. I had to make sure my father didn't beat the crap out of the guy in the parking lot. He was more pissed than I was & he wasn't the one that got hit.

I broke my ankle being a douche and running downhill with a bag on my back... That was dumb.

Apart from that I had my hat hit off my head by a ball

somehow, I managed to pull a lower back muscle (badly) while teeing off on the 9th. I tried to walk/work it off to go and play the second shot and I could barely swing when I got there. Honestly it was difficult to even walk there. Luckily it was the 9th and I wasn't far from the clubhouse. I had to call it a day and basically crawled to my car. It took several days to get over just enough to function ok again and I couldn't play for about 2 to 3 weeks.

I stepped too close to a yellow jacket nest. I counted 18 distinct stings.

I've been lucky, the worst thing that's happened to me on the course is my actual golf game.

Was playing yesterday and a lady got stung by a bee on her neck. She started crying and her husband took her in (husband of the year)

I got to thinking what is the worst thing to ever happen to me on a golf course. I was playing this January at Coral Canyon in St. George and the rains had been bad. My ball had landed in a muddy area. I walked gingerly out to retrieve it and my foot got stuck in the mud. When I lifted my leg, my shoe stayed in the mud and I lost my balance and stepped in the mud with my stocking feet.

I finally got my shoe, but had to play with wet/muddy sock for 15 holes. It sucked. Got to remember to carry an extra pair of socks in my bag from now on.

Didn't even really think of it till you said it, but i did something similar to you about walking into an area I thought was dry/safe. unfortunately it was basically a bog and I went down to my knees in it.... actually scared me a bit becuase I didn't think I was going to be able to get out haha..

took my shoes and socks off, threw them away and rolled my pants up for the last 7 holes.....

Got nailed by a wasp on my finger. It was swollen for a couple of days.

I've always said to Mrs Nut .... bury me on a golf course cause that's where I'll be when I go. Except maybe on my boat ... then just sprinkle me at sea.

To the OP question .... I was hit in the leg with a ball, not once, but twice in the same round. By two different people in the group behind us. It almost came to blows that day, let me tell you.

You’re a better man than me, that’s for sure. Once, ok, crap happens. Twice, ehhhh. I’d have a hard time not coming unglued. I’m trying to be a kinder and gentler person but getting hit hurts like hell and it’s one thing if it’s an accident, but that could hardly be an accident. Yikes!

Worst thing? IDK I once got stung by a bee in the back of my heel/ankle and had to wear my shoe unlaced for the last 2 holes. Def. wasn't easy to swing, but nothing terrible.
Yesterday the guy I was playing with in league fell down a slippery/muddy hill and pretty much his whole backside was covered in mud.

Jamie Sadlowski outdrove me by 125 yards... I'm still having nightmares about it

Nothing really bad (knocks on wood).

I've had a wasp fly into my cart and sting me on the front of my leg. It hurt, but what do you do.

We also have deer flies at my home course that love to bite me, while bypassing my son all the time. I read it had to do with their vision and that they go after larger moving objects.

Oh, I've accidentally bumped my ankle/shins with my putter head a few times. That's rough.

Not watching where I was walking like I've should've been while off of the cart path, and stepped in a fire ant hill. Ate my ankles up to hell. Luckily it was on the 16th or 17th hole, so got to leave shortly after. Rode around in the cart like a goober holding an ice cold beer against my ankles.

Jamie Sadlowski outdrove me by 125 yards... I'm still having nightmares about it

At least you didn't get hit by it ... After he hit it downrange :act-up:

Played in an outing two years ago. Best ball scramble. Standard for a large charity outing. I drove our cart up the fairway trying to find a second shot on a par five, hoping to see it in the rough, but the ball went through and OB. I turned around in the rough to drive back to the other ball in the fairway. Not paying attention, I came over a little mound and completely forgot about the bunker on the otherside. I turned the steering wheel to not drive through the bunker. I was going to fast and I rolled the cart. As it fell, it landed on my leg. I was pinned under the cart and was of little help to my sister in-law, aunt in-law, and 165lbs friend trying to lift it off of me.

Gosh, this could lead to story time. I’ll try to keep it briefish, at least by my standards.

The absolute worst was the very first round on a big course that I took my kids on. It was hole 11. I’d hit my drive on the left side of the fairway. My middle son, probably 8 at the time had hit his 2nd shot to about where I was so we dropped my oldest son off about 75 yards behind us to hit and then walk up to us in the cart. We were in the fairway which is usually the safest place you can be when he’s hitting and we had the cart between him and us. So we’re crouching behind the cart and he hits. He hit a screamer that one hopped a mound 20 yards in front of us, took a weird hop, and hit my middle son right in the mouth. Very fortunate that he didn’t lose any teeth, I was shocked that he didn’t. I felt terrible as I put him in that position. His lip swelled up so bad that it split a day or two later. Once he stopped screaming his first words were “I don’t wanna golf anymore”.

I’m glad he didn’t quit right then and there and he actually finished the round. He hits high school golf in about a month and I’m anxious to see how good he can be practicing and playing every day for 4+ months.

In no particular order, just as they come to mind:

-First year playing in the early 90's, despite my protests, my friend takes the cart down a very steep fairway still wet with dew. He didn't temper speed and when he finally tried, he panicked and locked the brake. We skidded, then slid sideways, then the tires grabbed and flipped us over... twice(!). It was a roofless cart so less to impede its flipping, I guess.
Miraculously no major injuries, just bruises, he had a small cut. He had a broken club or two, mine (dad's, actually) were fine.

-Herniated discs during the swing on 5 separate occasions throughout the years.

-In Myrtle Beach at the old Wild Wing Falcon course, I hit a low flying rocket of a worm burning hook. It took out the leg of a wood-stork. Poor bird was instantly rendered lame and in pain. As we're riding down the fairway toward it, maybe 100 yards away, a large red fox sprints across the fairway and drags the helpless bird off. I felt awful, my buddy says, "silver lining? You fed a hungry fox. He loves you, anyway."

-On the 4th hole of Rotella golf course in Pamona NY on 9/11/01, we received word from the marshal that "somebody drove an airplane into the World Trade Center."

-Looking for a playing partner's ball on the side hill of a mound, I found it by stepping on it and rolling my ankle terribly. High ankle sprain, I couldn't play for nearly a month.

-Stung by a bee. No big deal, I don't like them but bee stings aren't a big deal to me, no allergies, no residual pain to speak of. But the initial sting does HURT. So the funny part was me dropping my bag and ripping my shirt off as I'm running. It got me on my right front delt anyway. In the fracas, I didn't see two ladies in a cart nearby on the adjoining fairway. One said through laughter, "don't stop now, I just checked my handbag and I've plenty of singles!"

-A lunatic on Beth Page Black threatened me and wanted to fight. I obliged, he ran away. LOL, I am not a scary guy so that was funny as all get-out. That was a dozen years ago now and my buddies still tell the whole story.

A while ago, my former boss ran himself over with his golf cart. Didn't set the brakes, it rolled down the hill and right over his foot. He broke a couple of bones in that foot, couldn't play for months.
I haven't had as bad an accident, but last November, slipped on an icy bridge, my butt hurt for a week.

I trusted a fart a bit too much haha

No injuries on the course thankfully

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's a tie between being accosted by an angry pit bull and having to dive in a bunker to evade stray bullets.

I trusted a fart a bit too much haha

No injuries on the course thankfully

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This is my favorite mishap told on here by far! I LOL'ed.

Back