Shell Houston Open 2016 (Spoilers and Discussion)

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Coming off an entertaining WGC Match Play event the tour heads east to Houston for the Shell Houston Open. Surprisingly enough with this being a week before the Masters we will see a star studded field. J.B. Holmes will be set to defend his title from 2015 against the likes of Jordan Spieth, Sergio Garcia, Dustin Johnson, Phil Mickelson and Rickie Fowler.

Course: Golf Club of Houston (Tournament),*7,441 yards, par 72. The 2005 Rees Jones design, with David Toms consulting, celebrates its 10th year as the lead-in venue for the Masters and earns praise for its ability to replicate Augusta National’s setup. Built*across a wooded landscape in Houston’s suburbs, Jones took care to preserve the natural lakes and wetlands throughout the layout. For this event, though,*club officials have done well to deliver shaved banks, collection areas around the greens and a Stimpmeter reading of 13 or more.

Prize Money:
Purse: $6,800,000
Winning Share: $1,224,000
FedExCup Points: 500

Will we see a repeat winner, a Top 10 player or a new face make their first PGA title prior to the Masters? The hype will be there along with the play.

Follow along and discuss the happenings of the event here with the entire THP community.

Will there be very few of the top players in this event after the WGC marathon?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

5 of the top 10, 9 of top 20. So should be a good lead up to the Masters.

That's a decent amount of top players. I think we see an unfamiliar face as the winner.

This course is pretty tough. Should be a great watch!

Here is the complete list of players that are playing this week and in the Masters next week. It's about 1/3 of the Masters field.

CepCkrJW8AAz-b7.jpg

Just made sure I got my picks in this week. Thinking we see a new face win a piece of hardware this weekend. Course looks demanding.

I'm going Sunday.

Defending champion JB Holmes is a late WD with a shoulder injury.

I would really like to see Stricker win this one!

Well it looks like we won't have the same winner two years in a row.

I am a fan of Vaughn Taylor's swing, so smooth. Seems like a decent swing for an am to look at

The Shell Houston Open, such a great PGA Tour stop and for some a springboard into Masters week as a final tune up. Should be fun to follow.

This is a fun track. The angles off the tee are a lot tighter than appear on television and a lot of second shots require some thought because there isn't much around the greens where these guys can be bailed out. I think water comes into play more than you think and the par3's are pretty long. I was out there last month to walk around and the rough was grown in pretty good, so i'm curious to see if they have let it grow more or made it more playable.

Some guys going out low this morning.

Some guys going out low this morning.

Soft conditions with the rain we've gotten the past couple of days I would guess is allowing these guys to be more aggressive.

Looks like DeLaet got his putting stroke back!

Back