Golf Publications Worth Reading

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
As Golf Digest sinks even lower into the abyss that is click-bait and picture-book-esque journalism (ala Buzzfeed, Business Insider,) what's left?

Before you jump in and say "Just stick to THP," I prefer to read my periodicals in print (I know, I'm a dying breed.) I get a lot of information here, but it doesn't always quench my thirst to just turn off, sit down, and read.

The Golfer's Journal is a fantastic publication, but doesn't tick all of the boxes. There's no club comparisons, or stories from secret insiders on tour. I know there's not a lot out there, I'm just wondering what I should pick up.

I still read golfweek to get college and am coverage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

As Golf Digest sinks even lower into the abyss that is click-bait and picture-book-esque journalism (ala Buzzfeed, Business Insider,) what's left?

Before you jump in and say "Just stick to THP," I prefer to read my periodicals in print (I know, I'm a dying breed.) I get a lot of information here, but it doesn't always quench my thirst to just turn off, sit down, and read.

The Golfer's Journal is a fantastic publication, but doesn't tick all of the boxes. There's no club comparisons, or stories from secret insiders on tour. I know there's not a lot out there, I'm just wondering what I should pick up.

what are you looking for? golf equipment content, "tour talk", course information?

like you the golf magazines that are left haven't been great for a while and I've found some podcasts that have helped fill that void. THP has a lot of information, but it's usually equipment related and not enough of the other stuff. Try podcasts and you might be surprised what you find.

what are you looking for? golf equipment content, "tour talk", course information?

like you the golf magazines that are left haven't been great for a while and I've found some podcasts that have helped fill that void. THP has a lot of information, but it's usually equipment related and not enough of the other stuff. Try podcasts and you might be surprised what you find.
Do they offer them in print?

Posted by my thumbs.

Do they offer them in print?

Posted by my thumbs.

HA! I knew you were going to say that. As a fellow print admirer, podcasts are a good bridge to content imo.

Seriously? Are any of them worth reading? All the magazines do is promote equipment of their advertisers or the latest quick fix. As for what's happening on the tour, I can check online.

Seriously? Are any of them worth reading? All the magazines do is promote equipment of their advertisers or the latest quick fix. As for what's happening on the tour, I can check online.
Seriously. I'm glad you can check online, but if you read the whole post, you'll see I don't always want to do that.

Posted by my thumbs.

HA! I knew you were going to say that. As a fellow print admirer, podcasts are a good bridge to content imo.
I've been driving more, so books on tape have become a thing for me. Maybe I need to venture into the podcast world.

My issue is that I've always imagined them as two people I don't know or care about talking back and forth to each other and not presenting information in a timely manner.

Posted by my thumbs.

I don’t pay monthly for golf magazines anymore. If something piques my interest, I’ll pick up the latest issue of Golf Magazine from Kroger. Golf Digest doesn’t really do it anymore for me (even though Golf Magazine and Golf Digest are very similar.)

But, if I want detailed equipment talk, THP is my new go-to. Love the Podcasts JB and the crew put out.

As a former journalism major and journalist fresh out of J-School, it disheartens me to see print being gobbled up by big, non-newspaper industry business and the online versions of print having to resort to click-bait articles, but that’s another rant entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Golf Magazine just went through a revamp and they are putting more of their efforts into long-form stories. I've been pleasantly surprised by their content since the new version came out at the start of this year.

Golf Magazine just went through a revamp and they are putting more of their efforts into long-form stories. I've been pleasantly surprised by their content since the new version came out at the start of this year.

I agree. I found the Michelle Wie feature in the latest one really captivating and interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back