Looking for some advice...

Running is getting really hard on my knee so I'm going to try cycling. My dad is giving me his back-up bike (aluminum frame Trek road bike). Really looking for advice on what else I need to get started.

Looking for some advice...

Running is getting really hard on my knee so I'm going to try cycling. My dad is giving me his back-up bike (aluminum frame Trek road bike). Really looking for advice on what else I need to get started.

Cycling shorts are a must. Save your ass on a tiny road saddle.

You going clipless pedals or platforms?

Cycling shorts are a must. Save your ass on a tiny road saddle.

You going clipless pedals or platforms?

Currently has clipless but I think I'd like to get/try clip pedals.

Currently has clipless but I think I'd like to get/try clip pedals.

Clipless is clip pedals. Yeah I know, makes no sense.

haha, gotcha

I would suggest a few things, first being a bike computer or phone app to track your rides and a heart rate monitor. Really keeps track of your workouts, and since cycling is such an aerobic sport, monitoring your heart rate is key.

I would suggest a few things, first being a bike computer or phone app to track your rides and a heart rate monitor. Really keeps track of your workouts, and since cycling is such an aerobic sport, monitoring your heart rate is key.

Is there an app you suggest? I was planning on bike shorts and jersey, helmet (obviously) and strongly considering shoes/pedals depending on the cost.

Is there an app you suggest? I was planning on bike shorts and jersey, helmet (obviously) and strongly considering shoes/pedals depending on the cost.

Go with Strava, it's free and has a great UI.

Shorts, jersey, helmet are a must. Go to your local shop and see what they have, I can give recommendations in case you get overwhelmed.

Budget $200 for shoes and pedals, don't get over sold on those.

Go with Strava, it's free and has a great UI.

Shorts, jersey, helmet are a must. Go to your local shop and see what they have, I can give recommendations in case you get overwhelmed.

Budget $200 for shoes and pedals, don't get over sold on those.

Awesome! I appreciate it. I have a local shop one block from me and will be getting the bike this weekend. A lack of cardio has been driving me crazy.

Awesome! I appreciate it. I have a local shop one block from me and will be getting the bike this weekend. A lack of cardio has been driving me crazy.

Awesome dude!

Just got this surprise birthday present for Mrs. Cowdog. She was so mad at me at first for spending the money -- we each work 2 jobs to make ends meet -- but quickly became very excited. Her old bike was 17 years old, heavy, and didn't fit her very well.

IMG_0698_0.medium.jpg

Got a helmet and bike shorts yesterday. Set out this morning and road 13.9 miles in 53 min. I'm a bit sore, lol. My focus has been on getting comfortable with shifting and maintaining a good pace.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Going to put this here for Jrod. Just finished my build up on it.

f545beb508f34d0fb31ecd40daa88ba5.jpg

Pretty sweet whip, how do you like the 1x setup?

For down here, I love it. It's a great setup for some of the flat road races and Crits I've been doing.

Won't replace my Venge, but it's a fun ride.

6 hour mountain bike race today at Alafia River State Park.

Took 6th place. Was hoping for a top 5, but haven't been on my MTB since January, so happy with the result.

My legs are toasted. Fun day with some buddies, and some beer hand ups before, during and after the race made it a great time.

ccfa08b389cffbe4013ed49747a59800.jpg

I think war should wear that outfit to the next THP event

I think war should wear that outfit to the next THP event

Lycra is surprisingly good at moisture wicking.

I'm sure all those dudes would love to see that at club clash.

Lycra is surprisingly good at moisture wicking.

I'm sure all those dudes would love to see that at club clash.

Plus that and a fresh shave and you would by flying on the course.

Congrats dude, awesome ride

Congrats again beags thats a solid finish.
And i believe hammock has a no spandex policy

Plus that and a fresh shave and you would by flying on the course.

Congrats dude, awesome ride
Would probably get a few stares from the members.

Congrats again beags thats a solid finish.
And i believe hammock has a no spandex policy

That's a good thing.

Beags, can I get some advice on shoes (pedals have the ability to clip in, Shimano I believe my dad said) and seat? I've acquired a couple pairs of shorts and jerseys and a computer is on order. I feel like shoes and a better seat are the next steps to really maximize my experience. I rode 15 miles today and wasn't sore afterwards. I had adjusted the seat I have per my dad's recommendations but feel like it's a bit to big (it's definitely a comfort focused seat). I'm really enjoying not having knee pain and getting a good workout in!

Beags, can I get some advice on shoes (pedals have the ability to clip in, Shimano I believe my dad said) and seat? I've acquired a couple pairs of shorts and jerseys and a computer is on order. I feel like shoes and a better seat are the next steps to really maximize my experience. I rode 15 miles today and wasn't sore afterwards. I had adjusted the seat I have per my dad's recommendations but feel like it's a bit to big (it's definitely a comfort focused seat). I'm really enjoying not having knee pain and getting a good workout in!

What kind of bike are you on?

Back