The Bryson Dechambeau Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
On constant length irons the swing weight, lie, and MOI are typically matched as well. Each club in the set swings exactly the same as the others if done correctly. It's VERY hard to convert standard irons to single length, but not too difficult if you build them with a set of heads made to be single length. Check out the pinhawk SL if you want to see the difference in specs in an iron set that is actually manufactured to be a single length. Tom Wishon has a set out now as well that look to give more custom fitters the option.
So overall weight changes per club?

The Bryson Dechambeau Effect

Depends on what you want all your irons to match. I'm setting mine up equal to my current 8 iron. To use my standard off the shelf mizunos I would have to add something like 63 Grams of weight to the head of my 3i and adjust the lie by 3.5 degrees iirc. It's not impossible to change my standard clubs but it would drastically change their intended feel if I didn't distribute the additional weight properly to maintain the club's feel. On my 7,8,9 irons the changes are much less drastic, but still in the end it was easier for me to just build a second set of clubs to try the single length irons out. You'll notice with the pinhawks they are all the same weight and lie from the start, which obviously is much simpler than converting clubs that weren't designed to be single length from the get go.

Interesting little equipment nugget: Cobra built him a single-length iron set of their King Forged MB irons that he put into play at an amateur event on Tuesday.
http://golfweek.com/news/2016/mar/31/bryson-dechambeau-plays-cobra-irons-georgia-cup/

He's played Edel irons and wedges for years and I thought he'd stay with that company when he turned pro. However, he's already got the Cobra King F6+ driver in the bag, and now the irons. He'll be an amateur at the Masters, then turn pro and play his first professional event the next week at Hilton Head. I wonder if he's a Cobra staffer by that time.

It would be interesting to try this method!

Interesting little equipment nugget: Cobra built him a single-length iron set of their King Forged MB irons that he put into play at an amateur event on Tuesday.
http://golfweek.com/news/2016/mar/31/bryson-dechambeau-plays-cobra-irons-georgia-cup/

He's played Edel irons and wedges for years and I thought he'd stay with that company when he turned pro. However, he's already got the Cobra King F6+ driver in the bag, and now the irons. He'll be an amateur at the Masters, then turn pro and play his first professional event the next week at Hilton Head. I wonder if he's a Cobra staffer by that time.

Now that is fascinating. If there is one of the larger companies crazy enough to do something like this for the market, or even create a program for fitting ... Cobra would be it.

Definitely looking like Cobra has grabbed him, and frankly, I think its a good move for them. He's quirky as hell and people will always talk about what he is playing....if he has success of course.

The media has been aware of his different contracts for a while now and I am sure info will be posted immediately following his announcement. Im still not sure he is great for any company, but time will tell.

The media has been aware of his different contracts for a while now and I am sure info will be posted immediately following his announcement. Im still not sure he is great for any company, but time will tell.

YA!. How do you market that (and make money) when 99.999% of your market is the way it is today?
Gotta be a highly incentivized deal, I would think.

Definitely looking like Cobra has grabbed him, and frankly, I think its a good move for them. He's quirky as hell and people will always talk about what he is playing....if he has success of course.

no press is bad press for the most part, and this kid moves the needle, maybe not as much with tv viewership (yet) but definitely with golf people like we are. when's the last time this many people talked about a kid fresh out of college, and the kid remained relevant this long?

no press is bad press for the most part, and this kid moves the needle, maybe not as much with tv viewership (yet) but definitely with golf people like we are. when's the last time this many people talked about a kid fresh out of college, and the kid remained relevant this long?

Let me ask it like this.
Lets say Titleist sponsors him for the golf ball. And in half the interviews he discusses how he has to balance the golf ball because half of them are no good. Is that good for Titleist?

Now obviously an extreme, but I am not sure he moves the needle yet and while I am rooting for more great golf and equipment talk, I think sometimes overkill, for the sake of overkill, can be detrimental too.

Let me ask it like this.
Lets say Titleist sponsors him for the golf ball. And in half the interviews he discusses how he has to balance the golf ball because half of them are no good. Is that good for Titleist?

Now obviously an extreme, but I am not sure he moves the needle yet and while I am rooting for more great golf and equipment talk, I think sometimes overkill, for the sake of overkill, can be detrimental too.

a very good point. I guess what I'm thinking is if he is slathered in a particular brand logo, and he gets tons of interview time and on course coverage, that's good for the brand regardless of how whacky his setup is.

a very good point. I guess what I'm thinking is if he is slathered in a particular brand logo, and he gets tons of interview time and on course coverage, that's good for the brand regardless of how whacky his setup is.

I tend to agree there, however the early stages to me, wreak of the other side with his obscure setups. Obviously that will change over time, any brand will hope, or they better get ready to start a re-education process on why their other clubs are so different and start making these.

Wouldn't it just be another option for consumers if companies started offering single length sets of clubs?

I would think it might be attractive to beginners based on the point below.

“If you have never played the game before, being able to use the same swing on multiple clubs is potentially a huge advantage for the player. And then, appealing to the logic of a player who has been playing golf a certain way, as Bryson has for years, the logic of having just one swing through a majority of your golf clubs is appealing to players.”

Wouldn't it just be another option for consumers if companies started offering single length sets of clubs?

I would think it might be attractive to beginners based on the point below.

“If you have never played the game before, being able to use the same swing on multiple clubs is potentially a huge advantage for the player. And then, appealing to the logic of a player who has been playing golf a certain way, as Bryson has for years, the logic of having just one swing through a majority of your golf clubs is appealing to players.”

Re-education of consumers is a VERY expensive task.
One should technicially have one swing anyway.

Re-education of consumers is a VERY expensive task.
One should technicially have one swing anyway.

One should, but I know when I go to the lesser hit long irons there seems to be a higher probability to "chunk" it for whatever reason.
Doesn't ball position change too from wedges on up? Wouldn't that not be an issue with single length clubs?
I would think anything to make the game easier for beginners and amateurs would be well received.

One should, but I know when I go to the lesser hit long irons there seems to be a higher probability to "chunk" it for whatever reason.
Doesn't ball position change too from wedges on up? Wouldn't that not be an issue with single length clubs?
I would think anything to make the game easier for beginners and amateurs would be well received.

No. Ball position should be about flighting.
And Im not sure how this makes the game easier. It COULD make the game easier, it could also make it harder. Which do you hit better, your PW or your 6 or 7 iron? What makes you think all of teh sudden you will hit a full set of 6 or 7 iron length clubs better?

And Im not sure how this makes the game easier. It COULD make the game easier, it could also make it harder. Which do you hit better, your PW or your 6 or 7 iron? What makes you think all of teh sudden you will hit a full set of 6 or 7 iron length clubs better?

That's actually what i don't get with the single length irons. Around the green, I chip/pitch a lot more with my PW these days. I don't know if I'd enjoy those touch shots with a club at 7 iron length.

I think his logic is completely flawed, but I guess time will tell. can't help but wonder if he'd be a player with a traditional set based on talent alone, but honestly it really doesn't matter much to me. As a person, and as a player, he doesn't bring much to the table to produce any interest from me, so i guess "move the needle" and "any press" isn't really factoring.

Plus, I don't subscribe to the "any press is good press" logic. I've seen it an awful lot, and it usually revolves around a strange concept/style.... and it's usually met with a 50/50 split of people saying it's good for the brand or bad for the brand.

That's actually what i don't get with the single length irons. Around the green, I chip/pitch a lot more with my PW these days. I don't know if I'd enjoy those touch shots with a club at 7 iron length.

I think about trying to hit a bunker shot with a 7 iron length club and all I can do is laugh at the idea.

Does this dude ever choke up on any shot? Wouldn't that destroy his logic entirely?

Everything said is all speculative. Like you said it could make it easier or could make it harder. I think there needs to be some testing done.
Would be interesting to take someone that has never played golf before and hand him/her a set of traditional irons and a set of single length ones and see which he/she hit better from one end to the other.

Everything said is all speculative. Like you said it could make it easier or could make it harder. I think there needs to be some testing done.
Would be interesting to take someone that has never played golf before and hand him/her a set of traditional irons and a set of single length ones and see which he/she hit better from one end to the other.

There has been testing. Single length clubs are not a new concept. I think some forget that. Heck THP covered a set in mulitple THP Radio interviews called EQL from Tommy Armour by John Hoeflich.

I really can't imagine that it's pure speculation. Hit a PW at PW length. Then one at 7 iron length. Then one at driver length. I wouldn't bet the farm, but I'd be a delicious Chipotle bowl you'd be most accurate with the PW length.

It kind of blows my mind that deviations of a slightly altered spine angle and a steady head would drive someone to play such a strange set of clubs.

Regardless of the validity of his system, he's had a fair amount of success with it so if Cobra wants to go through the hassle of making his clubs in exchange for him being plastered in PUMA gear, I'm all for it.

JB made a good point about the golf ball that I'd never really considered much. It doesn't look good when you're sponsored by the company who's equipment you're bashing. Cobra is a good fit for him because they're not in that market, and to some extent it will work the same way with putters even though you're seeing toe-up putters in some larger brands now.

There has been testing. Single length clubs are not a new concept. I think some forget that. Heck THP covered a set in mulitple THP Radio interviews called EQL from Tommy Armour by John Hoeflich.

What did the testing show?

The idea has been tried before. In the late 1980s, Tommy Armour Golf pushed a set of irons called E.Q.L., based on the idea of a single swing. These clubs were built to 6-iron length. That set never gained real traction, perhaps in part because the company’s 845 irons were exceedingly more popular. While there is something of a technology lull in the iron market today, Dechambeau’s method is at least getting some buzz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back