PJSprog

Hack Musician / Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Tacos
He was given a medical exemption so no problem with it. The guy is well past his prime IMO.
Is it really going to help his game, probably not.

I'm cool with it. If they give the option as long as a player provides the necessary documentation and everything checks out, ride away!

Why does it matter whether he walks or rides? The PGA deemed it OK so there is no unfair advantage gained. I feel you should be able to do what you want .... if you want to ride, OK ... if you want to walk, great ... if you want to wear shorts during the tournament, by all means show us those calves (Phil). Whatever gives you the utmost enjoyment out of the game! You shouldn't have to ask "permission" to do these such things either

giphy.gif

I have never though of golf as a test of endurance. Just more of mental strength and skill with the clubs. Don't care at all if people drive/ride the cart.

I say let all pros use carts and wear shorts and drink beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think using a cart provides a competitive advantage to a player. I recall many years ago when Casey Martin was given permission to ride in a cart. Many people were up in arms about it. It's not like using a cart makes playing the hole any easier.

In recent years, the NBA eased their restriction on sneakers and it's added a little more fun to the game. I think restrictions on cart use should be lifted in professional golf.

Add me to group that’s fine with him (or any of them) riding a cart.

It doesn't bother me in the least.

Interesting that they said they will assign him a cart without a roof. No shade for JD!

He was given a medical exemption so no problem with it. The guy is well past his prime IMO.
Is it really going to help his game, probably not.

With you here medical exemption is totally fine

I don't think using a cart provides a competitive advantage to a player. I recall many years ago when Casey Martin was given permission to ride in a cart. Many people were up in arms about it. It's not like using a cart makes playing the hole any easier.

In recent years, the NBA eased their restriction on sneakers and it's added a little more fun to the game. I think restrictions on cart use should be lifted in professional golf.

I was pretty opposed to him using the cart back then and I now realize how foolish I was. I used to think that the tradition of the game was in jeopardy and small changes like would dilute the vision I had in my head, now I realize that the guy was honestly in a lot of pain and I’ll bet he struggled a lot more than he let on.

If someone needs it let them use it, they still have to hit the shot

For the tournament popularity, it's better to have JD play & use a cart than JD not playing.

I think it's fine. Geez a cart with no roof...the guy is a diabetic with a bad knee, no shade for him, they are really being nit picky.

I think he should ride one of those new golf scooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fine with it with the medical exemption.

I was pretty opposed to him using the cart back then and I now realize how foolish I was. I used to think that the tradition of the game was in jeopardy and small changes like would dilute the vision I had in my head, now I realize that the guy was honestly in a lot of pain and I’ll bet he struggled a lot more than he let on.

If someone needs it let them use it, they still have to hit the shot

Well said. I think our perceptions of how golf “should” be played are changing. I think the sport should evolve. It’s a small part of how we can grow the game.

I dont really care either way because he has a medical exemption. IMO, its only going to become a problem if he should actually win.

Last edited:
I dont really care either way because he has a medical exemption. IMO, its only going to become a problem if he should actually win.

If this gets Daly playing out there I am fine with it, crowds love him and it will be a good thing. However if we have a real contender for the title that would get this exemption I start to get more iffy. Let's say Rory, J.Day (who has back issues), or Tiger (back issues...) rolls up in a cart to the first tee I think the discussion gets a lot more complicated.

If this gets Daly playing out there I am fine with it, crowds love him and it will be a good thing. However if we have a real contender for the title that would get this exemption I start to get more iffy. Let's say Rory, J.Day (who has back issues), or Tiger (back issues...) rolls up in a cart to the first tee I think the discussion gets a lot more complicated.

See, and this kind of gets to my point. I don't understand how it could be OK for one guy, but not for anyone else. I do believe that walking has an effect on your play. I know it does on mine. By the time I get to the last few holes, I've expended a lot of energy just walking, especially if there are substantial hills on the course. That reduced energy definitely has an affect on my swing.

I guess my opinion is that if you're going to play a sport at a professional level, and you are not in decent enough physical condition (for whatever reason) to play at that level without some special considerations not afforded your opponents, then you should probably sit that one out. Plenty of players do that very thing all through the season, and for a variety of reasons.

I like Daly, and agree that his presence it a boost for the sport. But, I disagree that he should get special compensation to play. I also disagreed with the Casey Martin decision.

Just my opinion. I was wondering how other golfers felt about it. Looks like I'm in the very small minority on this one.

I say let all pros use carts and wear shorts and drink beer

I bet they can already drink beer if they want to.

Back