Ozone injections for back pain

TYork

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, out of nowhere, I started having major back pain. Specifically lower back pain. I ended up going to a chiropractor 4 times with no results and finally went to my primary care doctor, only to be prescribed muscle relaxants and pain meds. Needless to say the pills have covered the symptoms but if I don't take them I am totally miserable. Not to mention, the side affects that come with pain meds and heavy muscle relaxants.

I heard a commercial today for Ozone/Oxygen treatment and scheduled an appointment immediately. The company has great reviews and seems to be able to treat major pain without surgery or drugs which sounds perfect. I am a bit skeptical but willing to try anything. Out of curiosity, has anybody in THP-land used this type of treatment? If so, do you mind sharing your thoughts and results? Positive or negative. Or if you happen to work in the medical field and have some insight I would love to hear it. Thanks again in advance.

I just want to play golf pain free ;)

Last edited:
Hadn't heard of this before so I'll follow along. My wife had back surgery 18 months ago and still experiences pain when she does too much every day stuff. Dr said this us her "new" normal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I would be sceptical of this kind of treatment as I would think the results will vary depending on the problem someone is having?
I hope it goes well for you and you get back to feeling normal soon

This is strictly my own personal opinion, but I would not have gone to a chiropractor myself, I would have gone to a physiotherapist

Having had a slipped disc just over 6 years ago that ruined the muscles in my lower back and left me with sciatic pain, a chiropractor is definitely not who I would have seen
Fortunately I have a friend who is a very good physiotherapist (and is employed by a local football team) and he treated me for a period of time and even got me back to playing badminton

My advice would be to find yourself a good physio, get them to diagnose the problem (meds are just a cover-up and not resolving the underlying issue) and they should then be able to sort it with treatment and exercise

My advice for anyone is the same as above. Go to to a physical therapist and start stretching and strengthening the area. When you're treatment is done get a workout plan from them to help prevent future problems. Also do not go around reading the internet about back pain, there is too much info out there from quacks and wacks imo.

A few weeks ago, out of nowhere, I started having major back pain. Specifically lower back pain. I ended up going to a chiropractor 4 times with no results and finally went to my primary care doctor, only to be prescribed muscle relaxants and pain meds. Needless to say the pills have covered the symptoms but if I don't take them I am totally miserable. Not to mention, the side affects that come with pain meds and heavy muscle relaxants.

I heard a commercial today for Ozone/Oxygen treatment and scheduled an appointment immediately. The company has great reviews and seems to be able to treat major pain without surgery or drugs which sounds perfect. I am a bit skeptical but willing to try anything. Out of curiosity, has anybody in THP-land used this type of treatment? If so, do you mind sharing your thoughts and results? Positive or negative. Or if you happen to work in the medical field and have some insight I would love to hear it. Thanks again in advance.

I just want to play golf pain free ;)

I wouldn’t do anything until I had an MRI or CT to determine whether a structural issue is the cause of the problem. Only at that point can you be reasonably certain that the type of problem you have is one that the ozone/oxygen injections supposedly addresses or one for which other treatment options are more appropriate. Just diving into some sort of something to get relief without knowing the cause of your problem can make things much worse.

Hadn't heard of this before so I'll follow along. My wife had back surgery 18 months ago and still experiences pain when she does too much every day stuff. Dr said this us her "new" normal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Both my wife and I have had lumbar fusions. The “new” normal is a pain but is so much better than what we had prior to surgery.

I am a long time "sufferer" from back issues. I recommend as much physio as you can take before bordering on intolerable pain. Ask around for a very good pt in your area and get yourself an evaluation, stretch and exercise regiment. I know the pain and discomfort really sucks. You will get better. GL

Do you know what the root cause of the pain is? Disc, arthritis, muscular issue? I can't see getting any specific treatment when you don't know what the real issue is. As mentioned above, maybe schedule an MRI. What has helped me in the past was a taper of Prednisone. It takes the inflammation down in about 4-7 days. If it's simply swelling, that could be all you need. Last year, my back finally gave out. I went into my new primary doctor expecting him to prescribe the same prednisone taper everyone else did. He actually recommended an MRI. I went in and found that I had a bulging disc and arthritis. So, with that knowledge, I could actually get treatment for specific things vs just general back pain. My back is better now than it's been in a while and that is through a combination of a very good chiro and mobility and strength training. Dr's wanted to do cortisone and nerve ablation. I tried that route and got minimal relief.

There is just so much going on in someone's lower back. There is no consensus on treatment either. But, you can't really hope to treat something you don't know enough about. I haven't heard of this treatment. If you do go that route, I would love to hear your results.

I just did a quick search on the treatment and it appears to be specific for a herniated disc? Did they confirm that is your issue? If so, do they even know which disc? I would be skeptical until you have more information.

Do you know what the root cause of the pain is? Disc, arthritis, muscular issue? I can't see getting any specific treatment when you don't know what the real issue is. As mentioned above, maybe schedule an MRI. What has helped me in the past was a taper of Prednisone. It takes the inflammation down in about 4-7 days. If it's simply swelling, that could be all you need. Last year, my back finally gave out. I went into my new primary doctor expecting him to prescribe the same prednisone taper everyone else did. He actually recommended an MRI. I went in and found that I had a bulging disc and arthritis. So, with that knowledge, I could actually get treatment for specific things vs just general back pain. My back is better now than it's been in a while and that is through a combination of a very good chiro and mobility and strength training. Dr's wanted to do cortisone and nerve ablation. I tried that route and got minimal relief.

There is just so much going on in someone's lower back. There is no consensus on treatment either. But, you can't really hope to treat something you don't know enough about. I haven't heard of this treatment. If you do go that route, I would love to hear your results.

I just did a quick search on the treatment and it appears to be specific for a herniated disc? Did they confirm that is your issue? If so, do they even know which disc? I would be skeptical until you have more information.

I agree, a lot of back pain is from muscle and tendon strains and has nothing to do with your spine. I think people just assume that it's always the spine in the back when that's not the case. Often spine problems cause pain in places other than the back and a lot of time back pain is actually muscular. The problem with this assumption is that when the Docs look at your spine with imaging they are going to find problems with your discs, that's part of being a human being. When they find those problems they like to do surgery and that's not always the best option.

I wouldn’t do anything until I had an MRI or CT to determine whether a structural issue is the cause of the problem. Only at that point can you be reasonably certain that the type of problem you have is one that the ozone/oxygen injections supposedly addresses or one for which other treatment options are more appropriate. Just diving into some sort of something to get relief without knowing the cause of your problem can make things much worse.
I couldn't agree with this more! I was ready to call one of those TV clinics, but decided to consult with an orthopedic doctor first. He ordered an MRI, and the image showed arthritis in L4/L5, along with stenosis. From there we made a recovery plan: my path started with spinal injections, PT, more injections, and finally to a laminectomy about nine weeks ago. After at least a dozen years of lower back pain, I can now walk without having to hunch over in pain every minute or so! I still have three weeks of surgical recovery until being allowed to resume golf, but the wait is well worth it!

tl;dr - Go get an MRI and talk to an ortho doc!!

I agree, a lot of back pain is from muscle and tendon strains and has nothing to do with your spine. I think people just assume that it's always the spine in the back when that's not the case. Often spine problems cause pain in places other than the back and a lot of time back pain is actually muscular. The problem with this assumption is that when the Docs look at your spine with imaging they are going to find problems with your discs, that's part of being a human being. When they find those problems they like to do surgery and that's not always the best option.

I understand all of that but there is too much going on with the spine. For me, I'd rather know that any muscle pain isn't caused by some structural problem. Of all the neuros and orthos I saw for my back pain over a 5-6 year period, every one of them said they wouldn't consider surgery until everything else failed to provide meaningful relief and I couldn't take the pain any longer. I saw the same thing with all the docs I've deposed in worker's comp or other injury cases.

Never in a 10000000 years would I get an injection for nonspecific low back pain. Back pain is common in humans. Low back pain is not indicative of any problem whatsoever. It's nothing new or worrisome. Most people have lingering back pain because they're lazy and sit on their asses day and night. The best thing you can do for your low back is strength train and not catastrophize every low back owie.

Back