Contest - Bushnell Tour V4 Rangefinder - TWO Winners

Knowing distance is crucial for shot decision-making and scoring. Rangefinders give everyone the ability to have that data. Slope takes that one step further and improves distance calculation for differences in elevation, pretty much most shots around here. I am happy to hear rangefinders with slope ability are now approved for tournaments. I am not sure why they have to turn slope off, but it is nice to know I could use the V4 both day to day and in a tournament.

I think that the USGA needs to loosen up not just this rule but many more. Anything to make it easier to get people into the game. It is so much harder to get someone to invest their time and money when the rules say you can't do this or you can't do that instead of saying yes you can use this equipment in there circumstances. For this particular rule, as long as it is easily recognizable when the function is on/off I think it is great. We need to encourage all we can to to increase pace of play and this will certainly help.

I don't have a device with slope and have avoided them in the past as I didn't want to have to worry about having a non conforming device during a tournament, etc. Having the Tour V4 make it easy to switch back and forth makes so much sense and would be very easy/convenient to use during tournament and non tournament play!

I think the rule change is a positive step moving forward. With technology continuously evolving, I think this helps the game of golf, especially the average golfer. When I've played with a rangefinder, I found it to be a tremendous help in not only determining how far I had to the pin, but also helped in finding how far some of my clubs went.

Using slope is great because it provides another tool for golfers to use to improve. Though it is not impossible to find which club one should hit into an elevated green, it takes some of the time and guesswork out of it.

This rule change is much needed one in my opinion. First of all I think it shows a great step forward in a game mostly known for keeping it close to the vest in terms of its tradition and seems to advance with the ever changing times/ technology. Second it just makes sense. It's only used during practice rounds and it's available to everyone. Third it might have the added benefit of speeding up the pro game or tournament play ever so slightly if caddys and players can arrive at their distance quicker from getting these numbers during their practice rounds. Win win win in my book and I would love to try one of these for myself.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My current laser doesn't have slope and I don't really play in tournaments that would require myself not to use slope. Obviously, this would be an awesome asset to have for my casual rounds. I personally don't have an issue with tour players using such devices but I think it would take away from their game though and possibly the importance of caddies.

I like the rule change and think it makes sense. It allows me and other golfers to use the slope function in all non tourney rounds and can use it for a practice round before the tourney starts. I am getting ready to play in a tourney in two weeks and would love to have a range finder with the slope function for my practice round. I could easily make notes about elevation changes and use it to hopefully hit the correct distance shot on to the green. I personally do not have a range finder because I have not had the extra $400 to drop on one. As much as they can do for me if I had the money think I would use it for more golf.

In the thread about the device I mentioned that I think they made everything go through one button because it makes it harder for someone to simply click on the slope and click it off during a tournament round. We all know that people cheat and I think having one button do it all will cut down on people trying or thinking about "bending the rules"

I think it's a good move. Honestly it hasn't worried me much either way, because a) my rangefinder does not have slope and b) I haven't to date played in a tournament where I needed to worry about it. But nothing says I won't in the future, particularly if I can get my handicap down a bit and really be competitive. So this would definitely make me consider a slope feature in my next rangefinder, since it would be really cool to know how elevation changes are going to affect my shots rather than just guessing like I usually do, since I (and most other ams) don't have the help of a caddie to lean on.

I think the rule change is long overdue. In many tournaments, players don't have the opportunity to use a caddy or the caddy doesn't have the ability to walk the course prior to chart the yardage. Understand at the PGA level, where there are caddies for every player and they get to chart the course well ahead of time.

At the end of the day, the player still needs to make the shot.

I don't enter any tournaments that this comes into play, but I like this rule change a good bit. I think those that do play in tournaments can benefit their pre-tournament prep. Go out do a little homework with the slope feature on and then hopefully you don't have to do as many calculations during the course of the tournament round. Could even speed up play and we are all for that.

I think the rule change makes sense, as long as the slope feature can be turned off the device becomes like any other DMD, so it should be allowed. As far as impacting me it really doesn't. I don't have a DMD (unless I win of these) and I never play tournament golf, or at least haven't yet (never say never).

It's pretty flat here, so when I do run into slope, I have no idea how much to compensate. It would be cool to actually know. I've never had a range finder, but did play with someone who did once and it was pretty nice. As for the rule change, I think it's overdue. Really, no one is getting any info or advantage that any tour pro doesn't have...you just get it quicker and a lot easier this way. ...and likely cheaper compared to a caddie.

This is a rule change I like. I actually think it should go a step farther and not require slope to be turned off. Us regular Joes do not have professional caddies so us being able to use the slope gets us close to having a professional caddie
I have a laser range finder now, but it is non slope version as I do follow the rules of golf.
Thanks to THP and Bushnell for this great opportunity.

This rule change needed to happen! 99% of the golfers out there are NOT Professionals, and don't have caddies. Having the correct distances can improve results AND thus build confidence while also growing the game. Amen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the change even though my Tour V2 doesn't have slope capabilities. I would definitely consider purchasing a device now with the slope feature with the new rule change. I think a DMD with slope is hugely beneficial because many courses have significant uphill and downhill shots and this data would be beneficial for every player.

Last edited:
I like the change but think it is just a start. I think the game should be made as easy as possible. Players with a caddie still have far more advantage than just me even with this terrific technology. Let players use the slope feature for handicap purposes and tournament play. Less rules the better.

I don't think the slope is that big a deal - ultimately, you still have to hit a good golf shot, and if the PGA tour pros don't have this during tournaments, I don't see an issue at all with it. But adding slope and laser to the PGA would speed up play, I hope!
I would imagine that the caddy's all have a laser w slope to prep for the tourney, anyway.

I bet Ddec has a few more comments this morning.

I’ve stayed away from rangefinders with slope in the past because I felt it was a form of cheating, but now that I’m coaching competitive golf, I have noticed how important planning yardages from different positions and knowing how much the slope will effect the yardage is important. We've even purchased caddie books online to draw yardages to hazards and other obstructions. I like the rule change and how it can help competitive golf at all levels. I currently use the V3 and I’m sure the V4 with slope technology will be a big help in preparing for matches.

It’s my opinion from a professional standpoint, knowing the distance to a target and even slope is such a small part in their club selection. These guys and gals are also taking into account wind, elevation, lie, and who knows what else. At the professional level, it’s such as precise game.

From an amateur standpoint, this is wonderful. This now serves as your full time caddy. But again, this only gives you a piece of the information. You still have to take into account all the other factors.

I’m a big fan of the rules change. I do feel they should also allow the slope function though.
Also feel that the rules are quite outdated and need to be revamped, but in due time. This is definitely a step in the right direction.

I'm all for slope. Some greens are so deep that just having a watch like I have (a Bushnell neo xs) which only gives to the middle of any green is not so great for wedge shots! As far as being ok for tournaments, sounds very good to me. Also, it really can help with greens that can be as much as 5-15 feet higher than the fairway. As others have stated, it could very well help speed up play. I've played with people who have actually walked off distances from the 150, 100 or other markers. Sometimes, it makes for slower rounds.

Since you are already seeing the slope during practice, just take notes of what shots to hit, and then look back at your notes during tournament play. I say that this is great device.

I like the change but I honestly think it doesn't go far enough. It helps that people don't have to choose between having to buy 2 devices or having to debate getting one over the other. I tend to think that anyone playing actual tournament golf wouldn't have much reason to bulk at the expense (after factoring in equipment, fees, travel, accommodations, etc.) so cost considerations are minimal. Competitive balance shouldn't be a factor either since lasers are so ubiquitous that it really is a matter of choice to have or not have one as opposed to access. Finally, it doesn't impact pace of play any more than a non-slope laser.

Back