Hats off to shake hands?

I always do it, probably from seeing others. When I used to Caddie 25 years ago everyone always did it at the end of the round so that’s probably where I picked it up.

I always do, as a sign of respect. However, I have very little reasoning to justify it, it's just something I do.

I never have. Not because I’m an ass or anything (that may be debatable) I just haven’t played any kind of “formal “ round. I’m sure I will at the Hogan Event.

Have always taken my hat off before shaking hands. Always watched the pros do it on TV and it just seems like the right thing to do. It seems to be about 50 - 50 with the people I play with.

hats off indoors, hats off to shake hands.

It is a sign of good manners and respect for your playing partners. Those of us who are follically challenged always wear a hat and should always take it off to shake hands. Like many good manners , there may be little logic, but manners maketh the man.

I'll add to it, I even tell my girls to shake hands with other players FIRMLY.

None of that limp, dead fish, dainty hand shaking. Makes me queasy when someone doesn't have a quasi-firm handshake.

Hats off to shake hands, hats off in the house, hats off at the dinner table.

Regardless of the current times and the new world it was Mom's and Dad's rule, and ones that I am teaching my kid.

I always take mine off to shake at the end of a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do it if someone else in the group does it first, otherwise I'll leave it on. It's just not a big deal to me.

Regardless of the current times and the new world it was Mom's and Dad's rule, and ones that I am teaching my kid.

This is the right answer

Removing a hat used to be a sign of respect, but the culture has changed a lot, so it’s much less common now. Golf moves with the though (geological times that is) so it’s starting be more common to see players not remove their hats. I’m about 50/50 on it myself, I’ll do it if I don’t have a handful of crap or if I’m playing with strangers

Kinda of what I thought. I know removing your hat or a "tip of the cap" is a universal sign of respect or acknowledgement to others. I'll usually take it off, especially with strangers, but if it's a group I normally play with or good buddies its a 50/50

I take my cap off when I shake hands about 98% of the time. Every now and then I forget though. I like to do at as not only as a sign of respect for those I play with as well as reminding myself that no matter how bad I played that day that it is a game to be enjoyed with friends and friends should be honored.

I always take my hat off when we shake hands. Always have, not really sure why or how it started.

I've started to do it. Up north, it was the rarity when a player would remove his cap to shake hands. Here in NC it's way more likely than not to have players remove their hat or visor.

I don't ever remember making a conscious decision, but I've found myself removing my hat for a while now.

Honestly I am probably a 60-40 guy about taking off my hat. When it's just with friends, I usually don't take off the hat, but with strangers, I always do.
But I always make an attempt to shake hands. It's amazing how many people just finish the putt on 18 and walk away.

Removing a hat used to be a sign of respect, but the culture has changed a lot, so it’s much less common now. Golf moves with the though (geological times that is) so it’s starting be more common to see players not remove their hats. I’m about 50/50 on it myself, I’ll do it if I don’t have a handful of crap or if I’m playing with strangers

I agree. This is me as well.

Interesting thread. For some reason I think this is a new thing for golf. I remember Tiger doing it when he came on Tour and that it was talked about when he started doing it. Before that it wasn't really done. I remember Payne Stewart winning and not removing his hat way back when. I know there were others as well.

It can't be a military related trend, military personnel are taught to always keep their hat on outside. Further it really can't be a old etiquette trend, Hats off outside were normally reserved for when you were speaking to a woman or to a superior. Tipping the hat was more in line for greeting another male, maybe it evolved from that?

I don't do it but I will firmly shake your hand and look you dead in the eye when I speak to you. I think those two pieces are critical in a hand shake. Regardless of gender.

Now, having said all that I think I will start removing my hat, I'm respectful to everyone and adding another layer of respect will never be a bad thing. Especially nowadays....

I always take the hat off when shaking hands, just the way I was raised

I do and it is simply a matter of respect and the fun we just had. I have heard people who dont know the game mention that they didnt know Tiger had lost so much hair until the final shot of the Masters. Thought that was an intersting take.

I always take my hat and sunglasses off when I shake hands after the round. Before the round if I am meeting new people, I always take off my glasses. I am not sure why I take the hat off afterward? I think as a sign of respect, but I have never once thought it was disrespectful when someone else didn't remove their hat after the round. I have thought it was poor form post round for someone not to shake hands, but someone leaving their hat on never bothered me.

Forgot to add even if a play a round by myself, I take my hat off and say thank you to the course before leaving the green.

I now realize how weird that might look from afar, A guy by himself talking to a flag pin and tipping his hat to it?

I take mine off, and sunglasses usually as well.

Just a show of respect.

The removal of the hat and the current handshake originated with medieval Knights. They would lift the visor on their helmet and show their face as a sign of respect, and hold out their empty hand to show they held no weapon. The military salute evolved out of this custom, as did the removal of headgear indoors.

The history of the handshake dates back to the 5th century B.C. in Greece. It was a symbol of peace, showing that neither person was carrying a weapon. During the Roman era, the handshake was actually more of an arm grab. It involved grabbing each other’s forearms to check that neither man had a knife hidden up his sleeve. Some say that the shaking gesture of the handshake started in Medieval Europe. Knights would shake the hand of others in an attempt to shake loose any hidden weapons.

I was taught to do it that way 40 years ago so it's part of my routine. Many private clubs don't allow hats inside the clubhouse so it's the perfect time to stuff my hat in my bag. I certainly take no offense if others leave their hats on.

Back