Hats off to shake hands?

The phrase "hats off to you" come to mind... Respectful and always do it after the round.

Obviously I'm no pro or anything but I still find myself taking off my hat and shaking hands at the end around, no idea is just more of a reflex at this point I guess

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Depends who I'm playing with.

If it's one of my best friends then nah we'll just do our Will Smith/Jazz type hand shake and walk off.

Now if I'm paired with randoms or friends who take off their hat and give a classy handshake then I'll do the same.

Makes no difference to me.
Lol what's a will Smith/jazz type handshake???

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I've never been a hats off guy, but I'm gonna make an effort from now on after reading this.

It's interesting and I love a bit of tradition that makes people think.

So ... Hats off, look em in the eye, good firm handshake.

What about with ladies ???

Lol what's a will Smith/jazz type handshake???

[video=youtube_share;OCvmZ-lfkqM]https://youtu.be/OCvmZ-lfkqM[/video]

My grandfather taught me at a young age to remove my hat when shaking a playing partner's hand, whether friend or foe. He REALLY taught me not to wear it indoors when he slapped me over the back of my head for wearing one in his house...

The removal of the hat and the current handshake originated with medieval Knights. They would lift the visor on their helmet and show their face as a sign of respect, and hold out their empty hand to show they held no weapon. The military salute evolved out of this custom, as did the removal of headgear indoors.

The history of the handshake dates back to the 5th century B.C. in Greece. It was a symbol of peace, showing that neither person was carrying a weapon. During the Roman era, the handshake was actually more of an arm grab. It involved grabbing each other’s forearms to check that neither man had a knife hidden up his sleeve. Some say that the shaking gesture of the handshake started in Medieval Europe. Knights would shake the hand of others in an attempt to shake loose any hidden weapons.

I did not know that about knights opening their visors. Cool stuff.

The hat removal actually dates back to more Victorian times, where hats were a symbol of status. By removing ones hat, one would signal that, no matter your social standing, you are on the same level (for the moment.) A matter of respect or not, I believe it only makes sense for this tradition to find its way into sportsmanship.

If it’s just myself and normal playing partner, nope we don’t.

Add anyone else to the mix and I’m taking my hat off 100% of the time. Was taught at an early age it’s a sign of respect and the right way to end a round.

The removal of the hat and the current handshake originated with medieval Knights. They would lift the visor on their helmet and show their face as a sign of respect, and hold out their empty hand to show they held no weapon. The military salute evolved out of this custom, as did the removal of headgear indoors.

The history of the handshake dates back to the 5th century B.C. in Greece. It was a symbol of peace, showing that neither person was carrying a weapon. During the Roman era, the handshake was actually more of an arm grab. It involved grabbing each other’s forearms to check that neither man had a knife hidden up his sleeve. Some say that the shaking gesture of the handshake started in Medieval Europe. Knights would shake the hand of others in an attempt to shake loose any hidden weapons.

Thank goodness there’s more behind the tradition than what’s on TV. Thanks

I've started to do it. Up north, it was the rarity when a player would remove his cap to shake hands. Here in NC it's way more likely than not to have players remove their hat or visor.

I don't ever remember making a conscious decision, but I've found myself removing my hat for a while now.

Up north must be a relative term. I’m above the 45th parallel at my home in Minnesota and hats off has been followed for 95% of my rounds here in the last year, public or private clubs. In my 20 years in California, hats off was much, much less common.

I always take my hat off to shake hands. It's a mixed bag whether the others I'm playing with do. It doesn't really bother me, but I make a concerted effort to make sure I do every time.

Up north must be a relative term. I’m above the 45th parallel at my home in Minnesota and hats off has been followed for 95% of my rounds here in the last year, public or private clubs. In my 20 years in California, hats off was much, much less common.
NY, munis... a rarity in my experience.

100% hats off.

Did you know that shaking hands originated as a way to show you had no weapons and were not going to hurt the other person?

Also in Louisville, I don't notice whether people do or don't, but we always shake hands and we enjoyed the round.

Last edited:
It’s an old tradition. I try to remember to, but I 99% of the time play with my dad and kids so it’s generally pretty rare that I’m golfing with strangers. I don’t think anyone but the stuffiest of golfers would truly get upset if one doesn’t, but I also haven’t read the thread yet so I could be in the minority with thinking folks wouldn’t be offended.

just a sign of respect/manners. I do it almost 100% of the time. Depends on who I am with and if my hands are full or not haha.

I’m a hats off guy. Mainly has become a habit as I was taught and have been doing for over 40 years! Doesn’t bother me either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday I watched from various points on the course 3 sets of people on 18. 2 had no hats off, one didn't even have the handshake. Anecdotal of course but I was fascinated.

When you take your hat off at the end of the round, its a not so subtle way to let the opponent know how bad the got taken by the handicap you told them pre-round. They'll see that tan line on your bald dome and know you're not "around a 14"...

I’m a hat off, sunglasses off, firm handshake and ‘thank you. I enjoyed the round’.. no matter who I’m playing with..
I’m also pushing our club for a ‘ no hats inside the clubhouse ‘ rule!! We already have rules , all shirts must be tucked in and the bill on baseball caps must face forward..

Nope. Hat stays on when I shake hands.

... It's the little things in life isn't it? I see quite a few young people (although not all of them younger) that do not say thank you when I hold a door open for them. Respect may seem like a little thing but it is indicative of being aware of others and as many have already stated ... respectful. It isn't aways easy to remove your hat on 18. Cold or hot, it would be easier to leave it on. Those of us with hair have to re-arrange because hat head becomes apparent after removal and those without hair may just refer to keep their dome covered. So the little bit of extra effort, makes the gesture mean something and I think every little bit of kindness and respect for our fellow man is something we need to hang onto as long as we can.

... It's the little things in life isn't it? I see quite a few young people (although not all of them younger) that do not say thank you when I hold a door open for them. Respect may seem like a little thing but it is indicative of being aware of others and as many have already stated ... respectful. It isn't aways easy to remove your hat on 18. Cold or hot, it would be easier to leave it on. Those of us with hair have to re-arrange because hat head becomes apparent after removal and those without hair may just refer to keep their dome covered. So the little bit of extra effort, makes the gesture mean something and I think every little bit of kindness and respect for our fellow man is something we need to hang onto as long as we can.

Then again, as Freud might have said, sometimes a hat is just a hat.

Always off for me because that's the way my grandpa taught me when he taught me the game. Even if playing a twosome with my best friend

100% always take my hat off before shaking hands on the 18th green. It is simply a gesture of respect and I would do the same if I met you and your family for the first time in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Back