Hats off to shake hands?

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I noticed today that some people take their hats off and some people don't when shaking hands at the end of a round?

Anyone know why? or have a preference?
What's the "right" way?

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I'm one that takes my hat off, but I honestly don't know why I do it that way. Maybe because that's how all the pros do it on TV?

~Rock

Removing a hat used to be a sign of respect, but the culture has changed a lot, so it’s much less common now. Golf moves with the though (geological times that is) so it’s starting be more common to see players not remove their hats. I’m about 50/50 on it myself, I’ll do it if I don’t have a handful of crap or if I’m playing with strangers

tradition. the right way? not sure there is one anymore. It was how I was taught so I do. But I have noticed more and more people don't.

What I do know is I have never been offended by either someone leaving it on or taking it off nor has anyone else said anything. Mores are changing

I think its because thats what the guys on tv do so guys who actually watch golf probably take their hats off and guys that don't...don't.

I do, but I was taught to before I started golfing. Hat off in the house and to shake someone's hand.

I think it is just a sign of respect, like taking your hat off indoors but not many men follow that any more.

I do, but I was taught to before I started golfing. Hat off in the house and to shake someone's hand.

this.

hats off indoors, hats off to shake hands. i don't know the origin of it, but it's a sign of respect and that's all i need to know to be on-board.

Combination tradition, formality, and just being proper IMO.

Its actually one of the big things I hammer into my golfers heads post round.

Depends who I'm playing with.

If it's one of my best friends then nah we'll just do our Will Smith/Jazz type hand shake and walk off.

Now if I'm paired with randoms or friends who take off their hat and give a classy handshake then I'll do the same.

Makes no difference to me.

I usually take my hat off for the hand shake. Sometimes not if I remember my sunglasses are propped on the brim on sweat dripping days. (Hat off is so automatic that I usually forget and drop my glasses) I don't think there's necessarily a 'right way'. Hat off is still a little more common, especially for those of us who still have our hair. It's respect.

I will try to remember, but won't get offended if the rest in my group doesn't.

100% etiquette thing that goes back forever. It's not just a golf thing - same reasoning we take off our hats during the national anthem - it's a sign of respect.

Always hat off to shake hands post round. Never bothered if others don’t. Now, in the clubhouse eating or having a drink, I hate seeing a hat on. Comes from younger days a moms dinner table. Your hat on the floor. Either you put it there or she or dad knocked it there. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I don't.

And I certainly don't do like the guys on TV, take my hat off, run my hand over my sweaty head, then shake hands with it. I get a little queasy every time I see that ritual on TV.

When you're raised by a Marine, it's always Hats off and look the other person in the Eye. 100% Respect!!

I'm a hat off guy when playing with new people or during league.
Just out with a buddy or 2 and it's 50/50 on if there is even a handshake, but if there is, I take the hat off 99% of the time.

I always take my hat of if it was a proper match. But if it’s mostly with my friends I’d just keep my hat on and tell them good playing today with a fist bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a respect thing. Take my hat off to shake hands after a round. That's how I was taught.

Removing a hat used to be a sign of respect, but the culture has changed a lot, so it’s much less common now. Golf moves with the though (geological times that is) so it’s starting be more common to see players not remove their hats. I’m about 50/50 on it myself, I’ll do it if I don’t have a handful of crap or if I’m playing with strangers

And imo it is changing for the worse. its just that people are continually becoming more and more lacking in general as for common courteous, respect, and etiquette's. I dont really find the hat removal thing after a round to be any big deal at all because we are kind of in an athletic sort of mode or environment at that moment. And i can see a hat as sort almost part of golf attire especially for sun purposes. That said i only wear one when its sunny so often enough i dont even have one on and hence when i do I tend to forget to remove it because im just not use to it. I dont at all feel anything towards anyone who leaves it on. But imo there are times it should come off and im not a fan of people wearing hats in many social scenarios. In the given situations it is one small part of what is imo a continuously dwindling display of common courtesies, etiquette and respect.

I didn't last week at the end of our league match.
The response on this thread will get me back on track. When I walk into the club house, or shake hands: the hat will come off.

To be honest, I've missed seeing it in my local community. (On and off the course) It is the 'right' way, and I appreciate the THP community for the reminder.

Nope, I always thought it was stupid

If one wants to show respect for one's fellow man, there are lots of meaningful ways to do it. Taking off a sweaty hat that's keeping the sun off your head isn't one of them.

I didn't see one golfer in ten was doing that until Tiger Woods popularized it.

My son thinks it's one of the coolest parts of golf, that no matter what, we take our hats off and shake hands at the end.

I wear a hat less often to play these days, but when I wear a hat, I take it off to shake hands, especially when playing with strangers. It's my way of thanking them for putting up with me for 4 hours.

Back