If you want it go for it

So what does everybody think?

I love the looks of it, but I know I won't fit comfortably in it as I'm 6'5". Its a good price point and I imagine it will continue to sell like crazy even after all 110,000 preorders are filled.

I'm intrigued. This is what I have been waiting for from Tesla.

Challenge for me in Savannah is limited charging stations. Just not a lot of them. I also occasionally drive to some pretty remote areas in South Georgia, and I'm concerned whether the 250 range will be sufficient round trip if I don't have the ability to charge.

If I was still in Atlanta, I would have a deposit in now. Need to do a little more research on available charging stations here first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We bought a Model S 85D last April and couldn't be happier. We have 26,000 miles on it with zero maintenance. I haven't even had to rotate the tires as it's all wheel drive and they are wearing evenly. The main reason we bought it was so my wife could get in the carpool lanes when she drives 150 miles down to work almost every Monday or Tuesday and returns home on Thursday. It chops her commute time from 3.5 hours to 2.5 hours twice each week so that alone is worth a lot. We saved over $3,000 on fuel costs last year and her company still reimburses the normal $.60 per mile for her commute. This will definitely not be our last Tesla!

attachment.php

If I ever buy a car to go with my Truck, it will be this for sure. I just love the Model S. Unfortunately for me only having a car is impractical.

i have a tesla dealership 1/4 mile from my house. serious ponder with the $7500 tax credit.

I love the looks of it, but I know I won't fit comfortably in it as I'm 6'5". Its a good price point and I imagine it will continue to sell like crazy even after all 110,000 preorders are filled.
Ate you sure? Early reports are it's pretty roomy. Room for a 6'3" driver and still have room for a 6' passenger in back, I would think it could accommodate a larger driver and smaller person behind.

The issue I have with the price point is where does it go? Is it 30k to 45k? 30k to 35k?
I can see the lobbyists now with their check books out saying that what they are doing is illegal and putting dealerships out of business. Ridiculous.

I can see an issue however. Lets assume that 100k of the preorders they take purchase the car. Lets assume they sell another 400k more over the lifespan. Thats 500k of people not paying taxes on gas and our roads are already awful. Plus getting the tax credit on top of it. And because the dept of transportation is already corrupt and completely inept, where does that leave us?

They have a tremendous business model, although the stock is very overpriced right now for what they have delivered. I would put the deposit down for GG's next car if I thought 30k would get us what we want. Instead I think it goes to 40k or higher.

I like that they are developing a product at a price point that works for more people.

The replacement battery cost seems like a hidden expense that most don't think about. And I'm just not sure about buying a product where you can't easily road trip to a different city.

I can see an issue however. Lets assume that 100k of the preorders they take purchase the car. Lets assume they sell another 400k more over the lifespan. Thats 500k of people not paying taxes on gas and our roads are already awful. Plus getting the tax credit on top of it. And because the dept of transportation is already corrupt and completely inept, where does that leave us?
This very thing is leading to Oregon developing a plan to track and monitor miles driven by electric cars. The state is losing gas tax revenues and wants their money. Other states will follow suit, I'm sure.

I like the car, it looks really good. I think even at $40K it's a decent price. Not knowing what the final pricing will be is a huge barrier to purchase. They've done a really good job with finding space in the car, but those trunks did not look big enough. Being able to put a surfboard in the car is a good sign, but how does it fit in there? If I have to take up the entire passenger side of the car from trunk to front seat, that won't work for me. It would make a good commuter for my wife, or even for me. But certainly not an only car for us...the beach is about 140 miles from home, so need 300 mile+ range, or charging stations on the OBX.

We are about 3 years out from a new car purchase (Lord willing the two we have hold up). If the price point and Tesla reputation remain then it is certainly at the top of our list. Even in hillbilly Tennessee I can find a charge station along the majority of my travel routes.

I am still curious to hear how it affects electric bills at home.

Another thing i worry about with brand new model cars the first year they are bound to have problems. i will watch and see if they can work out the bugs maybe look at getting one the 2nd year of production. It might be 2020 by that time.

Depending on what the base feature set is for $35K, I could definitely see this as the electric car that finally gets me interested. The range would work fine for all but a couple car trips a year (depending on supercharger availability and time...it may work for all my needs).

If these become prevalent, the states will definitely be reevaluating the gas tax.

We are about 3 years out from a new car purchase (Lord willing the two we have hold up). If the price point and Tesla reputation remain then it is certainly at the top of our list. Even in hillbilly Tennessee I can find a charge station along the majority of my travel routes.

i know someone with a model S he said his electric bill raised by $50 a month. He also has not had good luck with reliability.

If we were in the market for a car I would definitely give this a look. One of my concerns would be a point JB made though, it starts at $35,000 but how much does it take to jump up to 40k+?

From what I read a while ago at normal rates it will be between 35-70 a month. But if your energy company offers the different rates for different times of the day, it could drop considerably by setting it up to charge in the late night early morning hours.

honestly if we are talking $50+ a month in electric bills then, at current gas prices, this wouldn't be beneficial but I have a feeling gas wont be under $2 in 3 years (or for much longer really). will be fun to keep an eye on

This very thing is leading to Oregon developing a plan to track and monitor miles driven by electric cars. The state is losing gas tax revenues and wants their money. Other states will follow suit, I'm sure.

Simple option seems to be to add a tax on the "quick charge" stations. Honestly, that would be a reasonable measure to allow for money for roads (that, of course, is following the hysterical presumption that the government would actually use that money for roads... )

I agree with JB. Oil lobbyists will be coming out of the woodwork with ways to try to slow things like this down.

honestly if we are talking $50+ a month in electric bills then, at current gas prices, this wouldn't be beneficial but I have a feeling gas wont be under $2 in 3 years (or for much longer really). will be fun to keep an eye on

From what I remember the cost per mile was still around 1/2 of that of a Prius, and much less than a comparable luxury sedan. I would also expect the Model 3 to be more efficient.

I actually think the National Auto Dealer Association and the auto manufacturers will be going with their check books as fast or faster than big oil.

Simple option seems to be to add a tax on the "quick charge" stations. Honestly, that would be a reasonable measure to allow for money for roads (that, of course, is following the hysterical presumption that the government would actually use that money for roads... )

I agree with JB. Oil lobbyists will be coming out of the woodwork with ways to try to slow things like this down.
Yep. I vaguely recall the plan here is to have a device installed to monitor usage which sends mileage info to the state, which generates a bill. That's probably not exactly right but it is something like that.

Last edited:

The battery in our 85D would cost about $9 to fully charge at home assuming your electric costs are near the national average of around $.12 per kilowatt hour.

Here in California there is a special electric car rate we get from our utility company. We have solar as well so our electric bill went down last year when we added our Tesla because the lower rate is on all of our electricity used. Combined with the gas savings it added up to $3,500 lower costs for us last year.

I think some people forget that natural resourced(mostly coal and natural gas) are being burning to charge a Tesla and you are paying taxes on those as well, although certainly a lot less than the gas taxes. Neverless, the "zero emissions" claim is false. My sister-in-law is very green and was bummed out when I pointed this fact out to her. If your electricity comes from coal driving a Tesla pollutes more than a traditional gasoline car.

i think these cars are so bada$$ and i would love to own one. but the car i'm driving right now is a 2003. i'm probably going to drive it until the wheels fall off because i don't have the budget for something new every few. for that reason, i'm very hesitant to make a 15+ commitment to such a new company.

Back