Does aiming left make me slice?

TIGolfer1996

Reaction score
Handicap
So a bit of background. Usually after a long lay-off or start of season, I block everything right. Lately, I’ve been getting good at turning that slice into a gentle fade with every club except my driver.

I aim left on just about every tee shot trying to counteract and compensate for the slice. Part of me wonders if doing that is mentally preparing myself to slice and I end up doing it anyway.

I’m considering a one-off lesson at Golf Galaxy or the course I play at to help me correct the slice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swinging with your club face open to the path makes you slice, if the ball is slicing to the right of your line then your clubface is open to your line also. I would definitely get a lesson.

Swinging with your club face open to the path makes you slice, if the ball is slicing to the right of your line then your clubface is open to your line also. I would definitely get a lesson.

I probably will. I mean I know the mechanics of my slice, just not the correction. I’m making solid contact 90% of the time, just can’t get it straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This^^^^^^

This is not the whole story, but:

For me the club face at address is where the ball is headed. Where my feet are aligned is where the ball flight will start.
Therefore, opening my stance (a part of aiming left) would cause my ball flight to curve more.

Tempted to say yes, but going to say yes to the lesson instead.

This is exactly how Jack Nicklaus and Phil Mickleson shape shots. Seems counter intuitive it may help to aim your body into your miss. The better idea would be to aim as neutral as possible and develop good swing habits before worrying about shot shaping.

This is exactly how Jack Nicklaus and Phil Mickleson shape shots. Seems counter intuitive it may help to aim your body into your miss. The better idea would be to aim as neutral as possible and develop good swing habits before worrying about shot shaping.
My best friend was slicing bad and I saw he was aiming more left every drive. Told him to line up aiming to the right (which actually was making him line up more down the line) and his slice was reduced immensely. Took him a while to get used to it but it works for him. His slice is more pronounced with the driver. He hits everything else pretty straight.

Freddie told me after I get lined up to pull my right shoulder back because my shoulders were open to the line of my feet. It helped a lot for me.

In my history aiming left I open up my body which accentuates a slice. Not the cause, but usually is not a solution. Need to keep my shoulders and feet square to the target line, or possibly closed.

Back