May is Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) Awareness Month

KY Golfer

It's for Kentucky, Lol #Paradise4Life
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Bourbon
I've pondered making this post on the forum for over a week now. But I felt if it would help one person, it was well worth it.
This is simply what the title states, an Awareness post.

Almost three years ago now, after probably two years of not knowing what was going on, my Wife was diagnosed with EDS.
We had no idea what it was, what it meant and how we would be affected. She unfortunately was diagnosed with the worst
form and without going into a long rant, I can tell you it not only changed our lives, but consumes our lives. Especially Hers.
She is without a doubt the strongest human being I know. She is my Hero. She fights every single day without a word of why
Me and with the best smile she can put on her face. Of course, I'm biased!! We've decided to try and spread the word about
EDS to as many folks as possible.

The're are people out there right now having issues and can't get a diagnosis from anyone. We speak with many who went years
before they knew what was going on. And like my Wife, finally figured it out thru their own research. I can't tell you how many times
Doctors have told her, "I've never heard of EDS". Still happens today. This is why we need to spread the word.

So what is EDS? I took this directly from the website posted below.

Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are a collection of thirteen multi-systemic, heritable disorders affecting connective tissue, the most abundant
tissues in the body. Common features among the types include:

1. Joint Hypermobility (dislocations, very flexible or double jointed)
2. Skin Fragility (stretchy skin, easy bruising, slow wound healing)
3. Chronic Pain
4. Fatigue.

In layman's terms, the body doesn't produce collagen normally therefore weakening the connective tissues in the body. Things like
tendons and ligaments that hold parts of the body in place, loose joints, and thinner skin. More severe types, such as Vascular EDS,
can be life-threatening, as fragile blood vessels and internal organs can spontaneously rupture.

As of now, there is no cure for EDS. Symptoms, if caught, can be treated and managed.

We are not Doctor's or part of any organization, but if you or someone you know has or may have EDS, please feel free to reach out
to us and we will do our best to help in any way possible. The website below is full of great information, even if you don't know anyone
battling this disorder. We use it a lot.

https://www.ehlers-danlos.com/

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Thank You for the post. Even if it helps one person, or just knowing that it exists out there is well worth it.

Prayers for your wife and family. I know it can't be easy

Sent you a PM

Thanks for the post. Sending nothing but positive energy your way @KYGolfer ! I have seen this up close and it can be devastating, but as mentioned previously in certain instances it can be managed.

I appreciate you spreading the word on this. Unfortunately, there are a lot of diseases out there that don't get enough coverage when compared to others, but are just as difficult for patients and their families.

My wife is one of those that can't get a diagnosis, but only because our insurance doesn't cover genetic testing.

She had adrenal failure at 23 that they thought was Addison's Disease. Then at 29 she had a stroke from a vertebral artery tear and found out while her adrenal system doesn't work properly it was not Addison's as she did not have the auto-immune markers. She has since developed two herniated disc's in her lower back that will eventually require surgery. The doctors at Baylor Genetics here in Houston believe it is likely EDS or a similar connective tissue disease as it would unify her symptoms. Given the stroke, our concern is a spontaneous abdominal aortic aneurysm at a young age (she's still 34).

Despite taking a large amount of daily medications, you couldn't tell by looking at her that any of this has happened to her. And she works as a registered nurse.

I didn't know this was EDS awareness month, but I'll be sure to let her know.

I've pondered making this post on the forum for over a week now. But I felt if it would help one person, it was well worth it.

Almost three years ago now, after probably two years of not knowing what was going on, my Wife was diagnosed with EDS.
We had no idea what it was, what it meant and how we would be affected. She unfortunately was diagnosed with the worst
form and without going into a long rant, I can tell you it not only changed our lives, but consumes our lives. Especially Hers.
She is without a doubt the strongest human being I know. She is my Hero. She fights every single day without a word of why
Me and with the best smile she can put on her face. Of course, I'm biased!! We've decided to try and spread the word about

The're are people out there right now having issues and can't get a diagnosis from anyone. We speak with many who went years
before they knew what was going on. And like my Wife, finally figured it out thru their own research. I can't tell you how many times
Doctors have told her, "I've never heard of EDS". Still happens today. This is why we need to spread the word.

Ehlers-Danlos syndromes are a collection of thirteen multi-systemic, heritable disorders affecting connective tissue, the most abundant

3. Chronic Pain
4. Fatigue.

In layman's terms, the body doesn't produce collagen normally therefore weakening the connective tissues in the body. Things like
tendons and ligaments that hold parts of the body in place, loose joints, and thinner skin. More severe types, such as Vascular EDS,
can be life-threatening, as fragile blood vessels and internal organs can spontaneously rupture.

As of now, there is no cure for EDS. Symptoms, if caught, can be treated and managed.

We are not Doctor's or part of any organization, but if you or someone you know has or may have EDS, please feel free to reach out
to us and we will do our best to help in any way possible. The website below is full of great information, even if you don't know anyone

Thanks for your time.

Y'all have our thoughts and prayers. I've never heard of EDS until your post. Getting people more aware is a great thing to do.

Y'all hang tough.

May is Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS) Awareness Month

My wife is one of those that can't get a diagnosis, but only because our insurance doesn't cover genetic testing.

She had adrenal failure at 23 that they thought was Addison's Disease. Then at 29 she had a stroke from a vertebral artery tear and found out while her adrenal system doesn't work properly it was not Addison's as she did not have the auto-immune markers. She has since developed two herniated disc's in her lower back that will eventually require surgery. The doctors at Baylor Genetics here in Houston believe it is likely EDS or a similar connective tissue disease as it would unify her symptoms. Given the stroke, our concern is a spontaneous abdominal aortic aneurysm at a young age (she's still 34).

Despite taking a large amount of daily medications, you couldn't tell by looking at her that any of this has happened to her. And she works as a registered nurse.

Sorry to hear that CRW but I know exactly what you mean. They are very tough people for sure. Mine just turned 40. She gets all the starring and stuff at the stores because she rides in the chairs. Looks fine on the outside. I’ve almost said some things before but she tells me to let them stare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Chronic Pain
4. Fatigue.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry to hear that CRW but I know exactly what you mean. They are very tough people for sure. Mine just turned 40. She gets all the starring and stuff at the stores because she rides in the chairs. Looks fine on the outside. I’ve almost said some things before but she tells me to let them stare.

Although we are going through very similar if not the exact same struggles, its good to know we aren't they only ones. Some days it seems like no one will listen and she is out on an island with no relief in sight. I will be the first to admit, when it comes to medical terms and such I don't do very well at all. Its something I cant grasp because its all so overwhelming to me. The only thing I can do is help when I can and support when I can. I have been to a few of her doctor visits, and let me tell you one or two of them I think the doctors felt threatened for their life after it was over. I was not happy and made sure they knew it. Simply because they wont listen and since she is very knowledgeable her self because of all the research she has done when she fires back with questions or questions the doctors decision they get irritated and then don't seem to want to help at that point. She has been to Vanderbilt and Mayo clinic and Mayo was a joke. It seemed like Mayo was get in and rush to get you out and didn't really "listen" to her. We were highly banking on that visit and came out more disappointed before she went in because they were supposed to be "the best" and we found out that wasn't the case. The amount of pills over the years that have been prescribed by numerous doctors is simply staggering. "Here, take this. If this doesn't work, take this" "if any of that doesn't work I really don't know" I just don't understand WTF takes to long and why no one can figure this out?

Difficult doesn't even describe it and im not even the one in pain.

Although we are going through very similar if not the exact same struggles, its good to know we aren't they only ones. Some days it seems like no one will listen and she is out on an island with no relief in sight. I will be the first to admit, when it comes to medical terms and such I don't do very well at all. Its something I cant grasp because its all so overwhelming to me. The only thing I can do is help when I can and support when I can. I have been to a few of her doctor visits, and let me tell you one or two of them I think the doctors felt threatened for their life after it was over. I was not happy and made sure they knew it. Simply because they wont listen and since she is very knowledgeable her self because of all the research she has done when she fires back with questions or questions the doctors decision they get irritated and then don't seem to want to help at that point. She has been to Vanderbilt and Mayo clinic and Mayo was a joke. It seemed like Mayo was get in and rush to get you out and didn't really "listen" to her. We were highly banking on that visit and came out more disappointed before she went in because they were supposed to be "the best" and we found out that wasn't the case. The amount of pills over the years that have been prescribed by numerous doctors is simply staggering. "Here, take this. If this doesn't work, take this" "if any of that doesn't work I really don't know" I just don't understand WTF takes to long and why no one can figure this out?

Difficult doesn't even describe it and im not even the one in pain.

She usually has one or two appts a week here at home and we go to the Cleveland Clinic every 3/6 months depending on how she’s doing. We seen Heart, Lung and Rheumatology doctors the first couple trips. Now we only see heart. And he helps her. Lung did everything they could I suppose. But Rheumatology flat pissed me off. Pretty much told her all of it was in her head. I had to get up and leave. I’m a pretty laid back guy. I have all the same questions as you. None of them know, I think the whole process is still too new unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awareness Bump!!

Thank You!!

May 2020 Awareness Bump!!! See first post.
More and more people are being diagnosed with EDS without knowing what it is. All I ask is that you make yourself aware.
I know with all this Virus stuff going on people are tired of health issues, but people live with it every day of their life. If this
post helps even one person out there, it's worth it to me. If anyone out there is battling EDS or knows someone who is that
needs someone to talk to, message me. My Wife will be happy to share.

I had never heard of this - thanks for sharing.

I know this is a golf forum, but it's also a family forum to discuss life issues. If I want to talk about EDS Awareness Month,
I thought I might as well make you aware. So because there are people out there that don't even realize they may have EDS,
I thought I would share a new fact every day for the month. It took years for my Wife to come across EDS, while doing her
own research. After countless Dr's visits and tests upon tests with no answers, she lead her Dr's down the EDS path. If we can
help 1 person figure it out and start the road to managing it, it's all worth it. Thanks for your time.

EDS Awareness Month - Fact 1

EDS3.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how I missed this last year! Tell that awesome wife of yours we are behind her! Hugs to both of you!

I know we've talked about it before, and our wives suffer from different issues, but you definitely have our support and our thoughts and prayers!

EDS Awareness Month - Fact 2

EDS5.jpg

Thanks for making us aware of this, as I had no clue. Prayers to all that fighting this.

Sorry to hear that. I hope your wife finds some comfort and a cure

EDS Awareness Month - Fact 3

EDS1.jpg

Last edited:
EDS Awareness Month - Fact 4

823CDF96-0505-4D13-87D9-062499D2B742.jpeg

Last edited:
EDS Awareness Month - Fact 5

EDS2.jpg

Kudos to you for sharing this, and positive thoughts to you and your wife. Awareness is a huge part in overcoming many things.

Kudos to you for sharing this, and positive thoughts to you and your wife. Awareness is a huge part in overcoming many things.
Thank You!!!

I just know how much it sucked for her going years without knowing what was wrong and if she'd ever find out. We still see Doctors who know nothing about it.
There are others on this forum going thru the same. If someone can see this post and help them move forward, it's all worth it. Gotta start somewhere!!!

EDS Awareness Month - Fact 6

6D337529-611F-4A37-A40F-F104DF0B24B0.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. I hadn’t heard of this before. Awareness raised.

Back