Homecoming: Back To Bethpage Black

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty fun short documentary by AJ Voelpel and Callaway Golf about the course that is hosting the next Major Championship.

A raw and unique look at the entire Bethpage Black experience through the eyes of a (former) local amateur.

Bethpage State Park is an incredibly special place for every golfer who visits, but it’s especially meaningful to those that call it their home course. In this mini documentary, we get a different perspective of all the things that go along with playing the Black Course through the lens of AJ Voelpel, who grew up playing at Bethpage.

From sleeping in your car overnight and praying for a reasonable tee time, to hitting a nearby deli for a proper NY egg sandwich, to battling some of the thickest rough you’ll find anywhere in the world…this is what the Black is all about.

As a fellow NY-er, I loved watching this. I've played the course twice and all I can say is that if you ever go play, make sure you have some high-lofted fairway woods (shout out 11 wood!) and/or hybrids because it's driver -> fairway wood all day on those Par 4s. Yeesh. It gets exhausting, but what a fun grind. And they mention it in the video -- when you're on that closing stretch you need to dig down deep for some energy because the walk from 17 up to 18 tee is no joke, and then the walk up the 18th fairway is similar. You pretty much fall into your car after you drop your bag in your trunk after the round.

One thing that surprised me when I moved here to CA and started playing Torrey Pines is that they don't do the wristband security check at Torrey. So *in theory* you could pull a switcharoo from checking in to pay and stepping onto the tee by the starter. I'm sure they've got some procedure in place to avoid that, or they are just not as suspect as are their counterparts in NY!

• Admin
I really enjoyed that.

Really great look at the total experience. I NEEEED TO get there one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a fellow NY-er, I loved watching this. I've played the course twice and all I can say is that if you ever go play, make sure you have some high-lofted fairway woods (shout out 11 wood!) and/or hybrids because it's driver -> fairway wood all day on those Par 4s. Yeesh. It gets exhausting, but what a fun grind. And they mention it in the video -- when you're on that closing stretch you need to dig down deep for some energy because the walk from 17 up to 18 tee is no joke, and then the walk up the 18th fairway is similar. You pretty much fall into your car after you drop your bag in your trunk after the round.

One thing that surprised me when I moved here to CA and started playing Torrey Pines is that they don't do the wristband security check at Torrey. So *in theory* you could pull a switcharoo from checking in to pay and stepping onto the tee by the starter. I'm sure they've got some procedure in place to avoid that, or they are just not as suspect as are their counterparts in NY!

that was crazy to see. Security is tight but I completely understand why.

I have a buddy who calls bethpage his home course. Such an amazing place looking forward to watching this.

Cool documentary. That would be fun to place a course like that. Only Top Tier course I have ever played is TPC Deer Run where they have the John Deere Classic and it kicked my butt.

i've seen some chatter about this on social and i'm really looking forward to watching it!

Oh man that was a great watch, would love to play out there someday. Thanks for posting that!

Pretty fun short documentary by AJ Voelpel and Callaway Golf about the course that is hosting the next Major Championship.

A raw and unique look at the entire Bethpage Black experience through the eyes of a (former) local amateur.

Bethpage State Park is an incredibly special place for every golfer who visits, but it’s especially meaningful to those that call it their home course. In this mini documentary, we get a different perspective of all the things that go along with playing the Black Course through the lens of AJ Voelpel, who grew up playing at Bethpage.

From sleeping in your car overnight and praying for a reasonable tee time, to hitting a nearby deli for a proper NY egg sandwich, to battling some of the thickest rough you’ll find anywhere in the world…this is what the Black is all about.

THanks so much for sharing JB!

Would love to answer any questions anyone has about the course/process/best reguluh pizza in the area :)

Id like to know the answers to these 3 questions.

1. Does your accent get stronger as the plane lands?
2. What is the hardest hole to you on the course?
3. Can you caption this photo for me?

WEB2694112-31A1BFD3-7FA1-E84F-BEFE-00D2AD7349F2.jpg

That was a really fun watch. Certainly a bucket list course and experience. I did notice a lot of leaving the pin in while putting.

That was a blast to watch. It really gave me a feel for the entire experience. I say every year I'm going to play it and it has to happen!

Would love to answer any questions anyone has about the course/process/best reguluh pizza in the area :)

Your low score on that course? How much is the "proper egg sandwich"?

Thanks, good video!

I live nearby and play frequently, but it's not my home course, way too busy, 6 hour rounds are not uncommon even on weekdays, Bethpage is a zoo.

Five beautiful 18 hole tracks to choose from at Bethpage, it's not a golf course, it's a golf wonderland.

That is crazy how early you have to get there to play. It looks fantastic hopefully someday i am good enough and can try it. Thanks for sharing that one.

That was pretty cool @AJVCG Makes me really want to play it now. I know how hard it is to play and document something like that. Well done to you and your boys on that!

Can you provide some WITB content beyond Truvis and Marxman? Did you make any club changes for this round? Did some of the guys adjust their driver lofts (up or down?)? Thanks.

I live about 20 minutes from there. I have never slept out but play it 1-2 times a year, and I used to keep my handicap there.

Hardest holes for me are 5 and 15. Just brutal. Just ridiculously long par 4s with significantly elevated greens and brutal rough. Even from the fairway, very tough greens to hit in regulation.

Overall what makes it hard are the length and the rough, and it’s physically demanding for even the fit folks. The greens are gettable - not tricked up and not too contoured.

Nice little shout out to the Nassau Players Club, which only admits real sticks. Whenever stats are pulled by a golf publication, they have the lowest average handicap across its members compared to any other club in the country. Good friend is a newly admitted member and he loves it.

Can’t wait to follow along the PGA.

Really good video! Loved the ham egg and cheese shot! That thing looked Epic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This video is so freaking great. It showcases EVERYTHING I love about Golf. I find the whole "campout for a tee time" ridiculously appealing.

Gonna give this a watch tomorrow while at work!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

What an awesome video. The Black Course is still my favorite course that I’ve played. I’m thinking I missed out on the egg sandwich though, so that’ll be something I need to rectify next time.

Back