CONTEST: The Morgan Cup (gear) heads to St. Andrews!

BoilerCLE

Boilermaker
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
My European "work" trip just took an incredible turn - my name was pulled in the ballot today and I now have a tee time at the Old Course at St. Andrews on Saturday!

Between this and the Morgan Cup, I've had some good fortune this spring, so I'd like to share some of it with a lucky member of THP! Unfortunately, I won't be able to live-blog the round, but I do plan on a full course review as well as a review on how my new Morgan Cup Cobra set interacts with the links turf. This way all you fantasy golfers will know whether to pick Rickie or not in the British Open!

THE CONTEST:
Take your best guess at the following questions about my round at The Old Course by 5 pm ET on this Saturday, May 11. The person with the most points wins and will be announced early next week - I'll try to build up some suspense with some follow-up posts on Sunday/Monday before announcing the winner:

FILL IN (4 points for an correct answer, 2 pts if you're off by 1, 1 pt if you're off by 2)
1) The first hole is 355 yards and has a burn that cuts across in front of the green. What club will I hit off the first tee? (see my signature for the options!)
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in?
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? Looking for a combined number for the 3 wedges. Remember, this is a links course!
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? (OB/Lost Ball counts as 2 penalty strokes)
5) What score will I end up with? (double points for this question – 1 pt for being 3 off)

MULTIPLE CHOICE (worth 3 points - see picture below)
6) On the Road Hole, my caddy will likely tell me to hit it over a specific spot on the wall/building that's part of the Old Course Hotel. That spot will depend on wind and how I'm playing. Will he tell me to hit it...
a) Right of the words on the hotel barn
b) Over the words
c) Left of the words, but still over the green part
d) Over the white part
e) "In your dreams laddie - hit it straight down the middle!"

BONUS (worth 2 points each)
7) Name a bunker that I hit into (examples: Shell, Hell, Road, Spectacles, Cartgate, etc.)
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick?
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop?

TIEBREAKER (closest on either side wins)
10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)?

THE PRIZE:
1 - Brand New Cobra F9 Speedback Snapback Cap from the Morgan Cup (I already had one!)
2 - Sleeves of 2019 Pro V1's that I won by "hitting the green" in a contest during our practice round at the Morgan Cup
1 – TBD souvenir from St. Andrews (could also be multiple things depending on what I find!)

Albatross Club members will get free shipping! Non-members can either pay for shipping or sign up for the club (do it anyway – it’s totally worth it!).

And finally, a few hints about the round:
- I will very likely be playing the yellow tees (all visitors play these).
- I will absolutely rely on my caddie for club selection and lines off the tee.
- I believe there is out of bounds right on 13 of the 18 holes. My normal miss is right – yikes!

Thanks for playing and following along! Also, thank you so much for all your support through my incredible Morgan Cup journey - good luck!

ROAD-HOLE-1.jpg
Old Course Scorecard.jpg

Awesome luck....have a blast, if you have time,try for a replay.

1) The first hole is 355 yards and has a burn that cuts across in front of the green. What club will I hit off the first tee? (see my signature for the options!) F9 2 Hybrid
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in? 5
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? Looking for a combined number for the 3 wedges. Remember, this is a links course! 8
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? (OB/Lost Ball counts as 2 penalty strokes). 4
5) What score will I end up with? (double points for this question – 1 pt for being 3 off). 96

6) On the Road Hole, my caddy will likely tell me to hit it over a specific spot on the wall/building that's part of the Old Course Hotel. That spot will depend on wind and how I'm playing. Will he tell me to hit it...
b) Over the words
d) Over the white part

My choice (e), smack down the middle!

7) Name a bunker that I hit into (examples: Shell, Hell, Road, Spectacles, Cartgate, etc.). Cartgate
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick? “O”
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop? “0”

10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)? “298”

Awesome BoilerCLE!

I love this contest @BoilerCLE!! Congrats on getting to play St. Andrews.. I can't wait to hear about it!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for doing this!!! Enjoy the round!!!!

1) The first hole is 355 yards and has a burn that cuts across in front of the green. What club will I hit off the first tee? (see my signature for the options!) – 3/4 Wood
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in? - 4
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? Looking for a combined number for the 3 wedges. Remember, this is a links course! - 15
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? (OB/Lost Ball counts as 2 penalty strokes) - 4
5) What score will I end up with? (double points for this question – 1 pt for being 3 off) – 79
7) Name a bunker that I hit into (examples: Shell, Hell, Road, Spectacles, Cartgate, etc.) Road
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick? – C
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop? – 4

10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)? - 312

1) The first hole is 355 yards and has a burn that cuts across in front of the green. What club will I hit off the first tee? F9 2h
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in? 9
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? 12
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? 4
5) What score will I end up with? 83
6) On the Road Hole, my caddy will likely tell me to hit it over a specific spot on the wall/building that's part of the Old Course Hotel. That spot will depend on wind and how I'm playing. Will he tell me to hit it...b) Over the words
7) Name a bunker that I hit into Spectacles
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick? T
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop? 3
10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)? 315

Great contest!! Thank you for doing this and we are all incredibly jealous!!
FILL IN (4 points for an correct answer, 2 pts if you're off by 1, 1 pt if you're off by 2)
1) The first hole is 355 yards and has a burn that cuts across in front of the green. What club will I hit off the first tee? (see my signature for the options!) F9 2Hybird
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in? 7
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? Looking for a combined number for the 3 wedges. Remember, this is a links course! 18
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? (OB/Lost Ball counts as 2 penalty strokes) 2
5) What score will I end up with? (double points for this question – 1 pt for being 3 off) 81

b) Over the words
c) Left of the words, but still over the green part <-----
d) Over the white part

7) Name a bunker that I hit into (examples: Shell, Hell, Road, Spectacles, Cartgate, etc.) Road
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick? O
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop? 15

10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)? 293

I feel like I just took the ACTs!! I love the format of the contest though, so many variables!

This will be a blast! Soooooo jealous you're getting to play my dream course.

1) The first hole is 355 yards and has a burn that cuts across in front of the green. What club will I hit off the first tee? F9 3W
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in? 16 ... you have 112 to choose from, so this is being generous.
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? 28
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? 4
5) What score will I end up with? 92 ... the bunkers will eat you alive! LOL
(c) Left of the words, but still over the green part
7) Name a bunker that I hit into .... Boase's / End Hole
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick? The "O" in OLD ... as far left as possible
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop? 6 holes .... 30% chance of showers on Saturday
10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)? 288 yards

Thanks everyone... One day to go! Played 36 North Berwick today and it was incredible! The views may be the best in the world (will post pics next week - small Scottish hotels don't have the best wifi!). If you haven't gotten a chance to try it, you've got to play some links golf (whether here, Bandon, or Cabot... it doesn't matter). The creativity required on approach shots and around the greens is an absolute blast! Alright, time to rest up for the big day tomorrow!

Congrats on the lotto draw and thanks for the contest.

1) The first hole is 355 yards and has a burn that cuts across in front of the green. What club will I hit off the first tee? 3w
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in? 8
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? Looking for a combined number for the 3 wedges. Remember, this is a links course! 13
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? (OB/Lost Ball counts as 2 penalty strokes) 8
5) What score will I end up with? (double points for this question – 1 pt for being 3 off) 86

b) Over the words
d) Over the white part

7) Name a bunker that I hit into (examples: Shell, Hell, Road, Spectacles, Cartgate, etc.) Stroke
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick? D
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop? 4

10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)? 289

So awesome you get to play the course! Enjoy it and good luck!

1) 2 hybrid
2) How many different bunkers will I end up in? 7
3) How many total shots will I hit with the Cobra King Black wedges? 28
4) How many penalty strokes will I have? 8
5) What score will I end up with? 89

7) Name a bunker that I hit into: Cartgate
8) If the caddie gives me a letter in "Old course hotel" to aim over, which specific letter will he pick? S
9) On how many holes will I feel a rain drop? 7

10) What will be the distance of my longest drive (according to Cobra Connect)? 287

Good luck!

Entries are closed and my round has been played! Will recap in the next day or two but here's a little teaser...
3c10018ab4ec01b58f13a8c0e0af2842.jpg

Entries are closed and my round has been played! Will recap in the next day or two but here's a little teaser...
3c10018ab4ec01b58f13a8c0e0af2842.jpg
I love seeing that bag with the old course as the backdrop. I'm insanely jealous but can't wait to hear all about it!!

Hey I’m from Cleveland too, lol. That’s awesome you get to play there!

With my round complete, it's time to recap it and see who won! Today, the front nine...

It's hard to describe the nervousness on the first tee at St. Andrews. The fairway is over 100 yards wide, yet with the wind into us, a tendency to miss right with the driver, and a crowd of people hanging around the first tee (some golfers, and some just taking in the sights) I was relieved to have my caddie hand me a 3-wood requesting a nice easy swing. Sure enough, I battled them enough to get a safe drive out there and was on my way!

With a 7:20 am teetime, the round started at about 40 degrees and a little bit of dew hanging around...not ideal conditions for long bombs that run out forever on the links fairways. We also had a very mild (by links-standards) 1-club wind into us on the front nine, so the course was playing long. With all of these factors, my caddie immediately handed me a 5-iron from 161 to make sure I cleared the burn (normally it goes 190). I reluctantly took his advice...and ended up pin-high! From that point forward I was going to go with whatever my caddie said, as my choice would have surely been wet.

4 of the next 5 holes resulted in me hitting my drive way right yet somehow my ball missed the gorse and stayed in bounds (good thing I didn't hit driver on #1!). By avoiding fairway bunkers, I was able to hit the green (or at least putt from off the green) on every hole except #2, where I used my 54-degree wedge as my only wedge of the front nine. Now's the time to point out that greens in regulation mean nothing at The Old Course. Every hole except for 1, 9, 17, and 18 has a double green, meaning you can easily have multiple 100-foot putts during a round. In addition, the putter is highly suggested for anything around the greens (even 30-yards out!) as long as you're in the short stuff and don't have a bunker to hit over. So, 3-putts usually aren't the end of the world...but if you include my off-the-green putts, I was pretty frustrated with 3-putting 5 of the first six holes! My 3-putt par on the 5th countered a double-bogey on the 2nd to be 5-over through 6. At this point, I was a bit disappointed to think that had I 2-putted every hole, I'd be even par!

Things started to turn on the 7th. I finally fixed something with my driver and a 9-iron over the shell bunker stuck it to 10-feet. On the par-3 8th, an 8-iron put it to 15-feet. The FTB's were starting to catch fire! I missed both putts, but felt like I had found something.

The 9th hole is only 289 and is reachable under the right conditions if you're able to avoid the End Hole and Boase's bunkers in the middle of the fairway. The green is huge, but fairly flat, so it gives you a good chance of leaving the Old Course with a birdie. While I had generally fixed my big slice, I had yet to (a) hit my driver on the screws and (b) hit my driver straight, so it wasn't looking promising. But it all came together for that one swing and ended up 12-feet from the hole...I drove the green! And sure enough, despite not having made a putt all day, that putt dropped in the center of the cup...an eagle! My second ever 2 on a par 4 happened on the most famous and historic golf course in the world. I will never forget that hole!

And amazingly enough, despite 5 3-putts, I had managed to avoid every bunker on the front 9 and somehow sat at just 3-over. Could I keep it up through a back-nine that crosses Hell, a Hotel, and a 700-year-old bridge???

Answers through the first 9…

Tee shot on 1: 3-4w
Bunkers: 0
Cobra Wedge shots: 1 (3 additional “Texas Wedges”)
Penalty Shots: 0
Score: +3 (39)
Rain Holes: 0
Longest Drive: 278 on hole 9

It was cold!!

bf4e0a92f3aba894790a0cdc7c45b5f7.jpg

Avoided the burn at the first...

b6c41a4ec6de6cb11c24dc4d088f8c78.jpg

Wild undulations at the 5th...

ffe91deeb75b63253146634b5403872e.jpg

Dominick the caddie was amazing over the front nine. No bunkers and club selection was on point...I was within 15 feet of pin high on all 9 approach shots!

88dba49f4616dc6b864dd0b7dfb2ea02.jpg

12 feet for eagle on nine

52ee61370d56a2549fc8afed70b33ab4.jpg

Whoa!!! Sorry I missed this.

Incredible contest

Incredible experience

Fantastic gear

Amazing memories!

Enjoyed reading the first recap dude

Incredible views Erik and a heck of a round!!

Duuuuude an eagle on that hole, I would've just called it quits right there on gone out on a high note .

No not really, but nice front 9!

Love the recap Erik what an awesome experience! Can’t wait to see what happened on the back 9!!

Awesome front 9 Erik!. Cant wait to hear about the back 9.

Those photos are so good! Great shooting and I can’t wait to hear about the back nine.

Looks like an amazing experience. Solid photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

St. Andrews Recap - Back Nine

St. Andrews Recap - Back Nine

Sorry for the delay...the only downside to being in Europe for a week is all the stuff you have to catch up on when you get home!

Part 2 - The Back Nine:

The back nine started with another wayward drive (this time into the 9th fairway), yet my caddie still pulled the perfect club and I just missed a 12-foot birdie putt. This was becoming a trend, and in the stretch of holes 7 to 13, I had birdie/eagle putts inside of 20 feet on every hole except 11! Only the eagle putt on 9 converted, but Dominick was absolutely on fire with club selection – all I had to do was hit it. The confidence in knowing I had the right club was huge down the stretch.

A couple notes about the holes on this stretch. #11 is the other par 3 on the course and is one of the best par 3’s in the world. Short is a pain, long is dead, and the wind is always stronger at this spot than any other place on the course. Even on a light wind day like the day I played, it still played a club and a half up. I luckily avoided the Shell bunker on the right, but ended up having to putt around the Strath bunker (away from the hole) to give myself a 12-foot putt for par. I missed the putt, but seeing what one of my playing partners was dealing with behind the green (took 4 shots to get it back up the hill…and then trickled into the Strath bunker), I was happy to leave there with a 4!

#12 is the other one that sticks out in my mind. A 300-yard hole, there are 6 hidden bunkers throughout the center of the fairway. Your caddie gives you an aiming point, you hit your drive, and instead of watching it, you turn to your caddie saying “um, is that alright?” Actually, this happened a lot off the tee at the Old Course, but the 12th is the most pronounced. Since I was able to avoid the bunkers, the 70-yard approach shot was wedge #2 on the day. I’m too lazy to look up the history, but I've heard that the Old Course can actually be played backwards as well (it would be a little awkward, but definitely doable with the double greens and the tees right next to every green). #12 sure looks like it was designed with this in mind – looking back on the hole, you can see all the bunkers from the green and it would be a really cool hole hitting from #13 tee to the #11 green.

We made the turn back to town on the 12th and noticed something strange…the wind had shifted 180 degrees and now was directly into us! This meant we were going to play 16 holes into the wind (only 8 and 9 were with it). Thank goodness it wasn’t a big wind, but still it was a bit of a bummer to not get a chance at a 300+ yard links/wind-aided drive! I was keeping it low, and after a lucky drive on 14 that skirted past The Beardies, I had a 3-wood over the Hell bunker waiting for me – I was going for it in 2! I got a little too excited on this one and topped it…barely staying short of the Kitchen bunker and 30-yards short of Hell. This was a huge break, and I ended up getting out of there with just a bogey. At this point, I realized that despite my erratic play, I actually had a chance at breaking 80 if I could somehow finish up +2 or better on the last 4 (difficult) holes!

#15 is known for a couple mounds called “Miss Grainger’s Bosoms.” Since my wife was back in the States, I figured I’d probably get in trouble playing around with those and instead yanked a drive WAY left in front of the 4th tee. However, the rule at the Old Course is to stay left and this was no problem here (especially with a caddie who knew his yardages). I drained an 8-footer for par on 15 and followed it up with a 6-footer for par on 16 (avoiding the famous principal’s nose) to give myself a real chance heading into the Road Hole.

The Road Hole is just an incredible hole - the closer you go to the hotel (and out of bounds), the better angle you have. And the main reason for the better angle is a tiny little bunker at the curve of the green. The Road Hole bunker is so fearsome because everything feeds into it, yet it's not even that big! Since I was fighting a slice and the tees were at the far left edge of the tee box, my caddie had me aim at the steeple, just left of the building. I'm a little bummed I wasn't going to aim directly over the building, but with 5 of my 13 drives going way right, it was the right decision (at least for the people sitting on their hotel balconies). Nevertheless, I pulled it a bit and hit it into the rough (where EVERYBODY ends up), and had a monster 200 yards in to one of the most famous greens in the world. I pulled my approach shot and ended up in some long rough left with a very difficult chip from about 30 yards (wedge #3!). There's a 3-foot false front, the pin was about 15 feet on, and then the green falls off to the famous road and stone wall after another 25 feet or so. Somehow, I pulled off the shot of the round (non-eagle edition), and hit my 50-degree directly into the false front, the ball popped up and trickled to a foot away. I parred the Road Hole!!!! I can't wait to watch the pros screw that hole up in 2021 and tell my daughter that I should really be playing in the Open.

Heading into 18 at 5-over, I was a bit terrified. The day before, I played North Berwick which has a similar par 4 with a road and town off to the right. What did I do at N. Berwick? I launched it over the parked cars and nailed one of the homes - luckily the buildings are all made of stone and have been around for hundreds of years, so I didn't do damage to anything except my scorecard (I actually missed our rental car by about 20 feet...that would have been REALLY bad!). So here I was, just needing to keep it in play, and Dominick hands me the driver! He'd been right all day, so despite my hesitation, we went for it. We aimed left and I hit it even further left. But it's all fairway (1 and 18 share a fairway), and it's probably the only time I'll hit it 75 yards left of the center of the fairway and yet still heard "nice shot" from everyone...how cool! Normally you'd try to rush over there and be sort of embarrassed that you were holding up play on #1, but everybody really does treat it as one fairway and lets you play through. Plus, we had to take our picture on the Swilcan Bridge - he caddies double as photographers as they don't even ask if you want a picture...they're already getting the phone/camera ready before you even think to ask! Crossing a 700 year-old bridge is surreal, and the number of famous people that have crossed that same bridge is just overwhelming. There actually are a couple of other flat bridges around (for mowers and maintenance vehicles), and one of the guys in our group actually crossed at one of those instead without realizing it! His caddie straightened him up and made him come back across just so he could get the famous picture, but it's a good reminder that when you're playing the Old Course, you really shouldn't focus too much on your ball and instead should just try to take it all in. Well, unless you have a chance at breaking 80, of course!

I was all business heading over to my ball and as my 7-iron approach landed on the green, my caddie let out a huge sigh of relief. We had scrambled our way around the course only hitting 4 fairways, yet somehow avoided every bunker and had no penalty strokes - incredible! Dominick knew we had a chance to break 80 and was really pumped once he knew it was going to happen. I got a little overzealous with my 20-foot birdie putt, but drained the 5-foot comebacker for a 5-over 77. On the back nine, I had somehow parred all 7 par 4's and played the last 12 holes at even par. I still don't know how it happened, but I know I will never forget that round, and I'll never be able to wipe the smile off my face on that 18th green knowing that I just played one of the rounds of my life on one of the oldest and most famous courses in the world!

Pro tip time: If you end up in St. Andrews and don't play the Old Course (or have a non-playing person with you), head up the road and wait for the players to tee off and cross the bridge. Then just walk on out there and take your picture on it! It's all public land and as long as you don't hold up play, there's no problem. Then, go back down the road and cross the public road that juts across the #1 and #18 fairway (Grannie Clark's Wynd - don't hold up play here either unless you want to get an earful from a caddie!). You can get a great visual of the approach on both holes from here. And finally, Saturday is the best day to try and get on the course through the ballot since it's the only day with no reserved tee times. Still, you should try to spend several days in town to give yourself a good shot at it. If for some reason you still don't make it, the course is closed on Sunday which means it turns into a public park and you can walk around it for free! It's obviously not the same, but if you bring your imaginary clubs, you can still play a "round" and save enough dough to fill your luggage with single malt scotch for the trip home.

The weather turned out to be incredible (for Scotland standards). It was about 50 degrees with just a little wind, and was absolutely gorgeous. Yet Scotland weather changes every 10 minutes, and somehow, despite sunny skies, a random cloud drifted over us and provided a few rain drops on the 12th hole. That's Scotland for you (and unfortunately may have cost someone the victory in the contest!).

Anyway, I'll announce the winner of the contest in a separate post either later today or tomorrow (so it doesn't get lost in this rambling post). But until then, enjoy the pictures from the back nine!

Do NOT go long on 11!
IMG_20190511_094500983_HDR.jpg

Hitting over the Kitchen and Hell on 14
IMG_20190511_102912515_HDR.jpg

Glad this wasn't my ball!
IMG_20190511_105543135.jpg

The Road Hole - from this tee location, I aimed at the right steeple
IMG_20190511_110700125_HDR.jpg

Don't go right, don't go right...
IMG_20190511_112000106_HDR.jpg

The Morgan Cup clubs and bag enjoying the view of 18 over the Swilcan Bridge
IMG_20190511_112142882_HDR.jpg

Have to go home with a pic from here! Was really special to have my dad with me as well...
IMG_20190511_112407928_HDR.jpg

Lining up the putt on 18 - the setting is spectacular...and the cars are really close!
IMG_20190511_113124214_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the in depth walk through your round. Looks like it was a blast. I toured The Old Course last Sept, and certainly wished we could have played. It's such a neat place.

Back