F9 speedback 4 iron setup

weemohack

Reaction score
Handicap
I think I have decided to go with the F9 5-PW in steel shaft. I will then go 48* and 52* CBX wedges and RTX 58*. My question is on the 4 iron. I am sure I will be going graphite in this. I know many on here rave about the cobra 4 iron in graphite so I was wondering if you guys are playing them at standard loft and length or if you have them bent stronger w/ a longer shaft. The reason I ask is I picked up a individual Rogue X 4 iron in graphite (not part of my set) and that thing is an absolute howitzer. It is my secondary tee option and I actually hit it as far as my 3 hybrid off the deck. In short, I love that club but would ideally like my 4 iron to match my set without losing performance if possible. The rogue is 18.5* and 39"......the F9 is 19.5* and 39.25 inches. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts who owns a F9 4 iron and if anyone has hit both the F9 and Rogue X (in 4 iron only) that would be a bonus to hear from you.

I have never hit the Rogue X irons. I own the F9 4 iron and know of others who have ordered it. Mine is set up standard loft and length, and one degree flat. I have a Steelfiber i95 shaft in it. It is a monster and elevates very easily. Some who have ordered it have ordered it one degree strong. I think that one degree is not going to make much of a difference and would decide based upon your personal launch characteristics.

For me, the F9 4 iron seems to give me the length of a 4 hybrid, launches equally as well, but is more precise as a tee club into super long par 3s. The one disadvantage it may have compared to a hybrid is that it might not come out of bad lies quite as well.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks! I will most likely still bag a hybrid for out of the rough. It's also possible the hybrid might hold greens better on long shots. I have no trouble elevating my 18.5 rougue iron so I'm considering going a degree strong on the f9

Tenputt covered it perfectly. It's been well documented in the F9 Speedback Iron thread how much I like my 4i driving iron. I also carry a 4i in one length as well. My 4i driving iron is currently standard lie and loft with a Catalyst 80 6.0 built to 39 inches (3i length). For me, it's the best setup. It hits lasers. I look to get ~215 carry from it.

39" is standard length without cobra connect thought?

39" is standard length without cobra connect thought?

Sure looks like it according to the cobra website. I didn't even consider that when I had my 4i built since I play the one length set.

I’ve hit both sets of clubs, although I have far more experience with the F9. I don’t have a strong memory of the four iron rogue.

In my mind, and admittedly I’m a bit biased toward my current set, the F9’s heel and toe weighting is a really helpful off the tee and it’s remarkably straight. The Rogue might work really well for you, and I think both are great options but for my game, the F9 is the no brainer.

F9 4 iron goes far. Almost comically far at times. More importantly, it is super forgiving and pretty solid even out of slightly iffy lies.

I have never hit the Rogue X irons. I own the F9 4 iron and know of others who have ordered it. Mine is set up standard loft and length, and one degree flat. I have a Steelfiber i95 shaft in it. It is a monster and elevates very easily. Some who have ordered it have ordered it one degree strong. I think that one degree is not going to make much of a difference and would decide based upon your personal launch characteristics.

For me, the F9 4 iron seems to give me the length of a 4 hybrid, launches equally as well, but is more precise as a tee club into super long par 3s. The one disadvantage it may have compared to a hybrid is that it might not come out of bad lies quite as well.

Hope that helps some.

+1
AA.jpg

Back