Matthew

Reaction score
Handicap
So, we’ve been kicking around the idea of another trip for a while and think we decided on Ireland for next summer.

0d3061a18c788818efe977fda132ff1c.jpg

Dates are tentative for now but we’ll be booking next week.
Having never been to Ireland, what are some can’t miss things to do there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've spent very little time in Dublin, but the library at Trinity College is pretty awesome.

The Guinness brewery.

If I were you I would arrive in Dublin and depart from Shannon...

Missing Kerry is a tough decision... Ballybunon, Lahinch in Clare, Tralee in Kerry.

Asides from the golf, Kerry is the heart of Ireland to me. It offers the scenery and culture that non golfers will enjoy (if traveling with family etc)

If I were you I would arrive in Dublin and depart from Shannon...

Missing Kerry is a tough decision... Ballybunon, Lahinch in Clare, Tralee in Kerry.

Asides from the golf, Kerry is the heart of Ireland to me. It offers the scenery and culture that non golfers will enjoy (if traveling with family etc)

A bunch of friends played those last year & loved it. I flipped a coin & went with N Ireland/Dublin area. There’s always another year for the SW.
It’s a golf trip, wake up play golf drink head to the next course.

Booked Royal County Down for July 7, 2020 @ 9:13 AM. Now they're on to booking the rest of the rounds.

Cliffs of Moher was amazing AND Lahinch Golf is just down the street 20 minutes. Beautiful course.

honestly, to me Dublin was just another city. Guinness is cool, the place is like a freaking museum. Jameson is more of a fun environment and not as time-consuming. If you are going to be in Northern Ireland, why not fly into Belfast? That area has some cool pubs, the Titanic Area is pretty cool also. Oh, and it's cheaper to get around compared to be in Dublin if using taxi's/uber Visiting the Cliffs are a must and if you do it at the tail end of the trip, flying home from Shannon is really simple.

honestly, to me Dublin was just another city. Guinness is cool, the place is like a freaking museum. Jameson is more of a fun environment and not as time-consuming. If you are going to be in Northern Ireland, why not fly into Belfast? That area has some cool pubs, the Titanic Area is pretty cool also. Oh, and it's cheaper to get around compared to be in Dublin if using taxi's/uber Visiting the Cliffs are a must and if you do it at the tail end of the trip, flying home from Shannon is really simple.

The titanic museum is and was the god damned devil. I was there for longer than any breathing man should be, and it just kept going and going.

I thought Belfast was just okay. A lot of history about how the blew stuff up and fought. I guess if you’re a big GOT fan, you’d find some more fun stuff to do and enjoy as well. I had more fun though in Dublin than Belfast as a whole.

That Guinness museum though.. I’d do that again. Didn’t do Jameson distillery purely from being hungover and thought I’d have issues on a sampling.

I’m honestly not sure we’ll even see any of the towns/cities, we’re going to play golf & sight see from the fairways.
There will be plenty of old age to check out touristy stuff.

I’m honestly not sure we’ll even see any of the towns/cities, we’re going to play golf & sight see from the fairways.
There will be plenty of old age to check out touristy stuff.

There's always time to stop at a brewery or distillery.

Technically you are going to Northern Ireland (Great Britain)...

I agree with ddec about Dublin...mostly just another big city to me.

Portmarnock was awesome in my book. It is kind of an understated links course, which is to say no massive dunes. But it was a great play. If Royal Dublin is not worth playing, as has been mentioned above, consider The Island Course, which is about 20 minutes north of Dublin.

IMHO Dublin is boring... it’s a European city. To me, the gems are in the south west. That’s Ireland.

IMHO Dublin is boring... it’s a European city. To me, the gems are in the south west. That’s Ireland.
100% agree with this. Killarney FTW

Dublin is my favourite European city, but as my grandfather was from Dunlavin, I am a little biased.

If you spent a month in Ireland, you would come back having missed out on some good courses and some great places to visit. Enjoy where you go and the people you will meet, the rest will be there for next time.

All of our deposits are made and they’re working through the rest of the tee times.

It’s still a year out but pretty exciting around here. Now it’s time to hit the range and spend the next 12+ months getting my game in shape.

When you play RCD- be sure to play with a local or get a caddie. I nearly got lost at every hole for the first 5 until I caught up with a twosome (member and his guest)to play with. There were NO signs or pointers to the next tee box! I had to look for a bit of trampled grass pathway and hope it was the right one!
Also, if they haven’t redesigned the clubhouse and the “guest bar” upstairs, order a nice whiskey and sit by the window looking out over the 18th hole. One of the best views anywhere. At least it was...

When you play RCD- be sure to play with a local or get a caddie. I nearly got lost at every hole for the first 5 until I caught up with a twosome (member and his guest)to play with. There were NO signs or pointers to the next tee box! I had to look for a bit of trampled grass pathway and hope it was the right one!
Also, if they haven’t redesigned the clubhouse and the “guest bar” upstairs, order a nice whiskey and sit by the window looking out over the 18th hole. One of the best views anywhere. At least it was...

Thanks for the info, sounds like links golf is the same no matter where you go. My plan is to get caddies at each course, they really make the experience.

Thanks for the info, sounds like links golf is the same no matter where you go. My plan is to get caddies at each course, they really make the experience.

Good plan if you aren't at all familiar with the courses. Are you thinking about changing your bag set up for the trip? Ditching a wedge and putting a driving iron in there?

Good plan if you aren't at all familiar with the courses. Are you thinking about changing your bag set up for the trip? Ditching a wedge and putting a driving iron in there?

I’m always thinking about changing up my bag. My pro has his yearly fitting coming up in a few weeks & we’re talking about general things I’d like to explore & a driving iron is certainly one of them. I may replace my hybrid & go 3 iron there, I’m just not sure yet.
Now, whether or not I drop a wedge, I’m not sure which one I’d drop but if I had to choose right now it’d be the 54. I use it a lot for green side work but I can maneuver the A wedge or 60 for that.

I’m always thinking about changing up my bag. My pro has his yearly fitting coming up in a few weeks & we’re talking about general things I’d like to explore & a driving iron is certainly one of them. I may replace my hybrid & go 3 iron there, I’m just not sure yet.
Now, whether or not I drop a wedge, I’m not sure which one I’d drop but if I had to choose right now it’d be the 54. I use it a lot for green side work but I can maneuver the A wedge or 60 for that.

When I play links around here I drop my 60 as super tight lies aren't all that forgiving plus a 4 or 3 hybrid is helpful for little bump and runs. Swapping in a standard 3 iron.

Whatever you do don't leave clubs at home just take them all out with you so you can mix it up for the different courses you'll be playing

All of our deposits are made and they’re working through the rest of the tee times.

It’s still a year out but pretty exciting around here. Now it’s time to hit the range and spend the next 12+ months getting my game in shape.
it is such a great destination. The Irish are so friendly, nice and genuinely like Americans. I can't imagine a more welcoming place to travel to. Also, be prepared for no tipping in restaurants, using Euros, international data plans on your cell service, getting through customs, etc. We flew AirLingus - I thought it was a great airlines, much better than any American carrier I've used. There's no way around it, it's a long freaking flight. Unless you've got the coin to go first class and get one of those pods, it's just a long haul to sit in a seat.

Back