The Bryson Dechambeau Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Is he turning pro after the Masters? I thought they mentioned that somewhere. It'll be interesting to see what he can do as a pro. We've seen "can't miss" amateur careers turn into not so great pro careers quite a few times. That being said, I'm kinda pulling for the guy.

I tend to agree there, however the early stages to me, wreak of the other side with his obscure setups. Obviously that will change over time, any brand will hope, or they better get ready to start a re-education process on why their other clubs are so different and start making these.

JB, this is a dead-on point. I can't imagine how difficult would it be for any company to support two philosophies on club making. Neither one better or worse, just different approaches. It would be nigh impossible.

JB, this is a dead-on point. I can't imagine how difficult would it be for any company to support two philosophies on club making. Neither one better or worse, just different approaches. It would be nigh impossible.

i think its likely that if he would sign with cobra they would keep making (standard) clubs and he would play the model they are pushing but he would be the only one with equal length/weight irons most people just see that he has a big snake on his shirt and have no idea what irons he would be playing.

I think you missed the point. Despite the sponsorship, the visibility is far more about the apparel from a casual eye. You'd have to walk up and look into Spieth's bag in many cases to know he's gaming Titleist.

i think didn't articulate myself very well, but my point wasn't ever really intended to be about selling just golf clubs. it's about getting brand recognition for someone moving the needle. as long as we're not talking about the guy because he's a d1ck to his caddie or he bangs perkins waitresses, tv coverage is good for his most visible sponsor. that's all i'm trying to say. and i think he is very visible. i mean, where is the thread about the ollie schniederjans effect?

but ultimately i agree with you, if bryson misses a bunch of cuts, or finishes toward the middle or bottom of the guys in the money week in and week out, people will move en masse. and lots of people will say, "see, i told you his clubs were stupid." fwiw, i think his clubs are stupid lol

i think didn't articulate myself very well, but my point wasn't ever really intended to be about selling just golf clubs. it's about getting brand recognition for someone moving the needle. as long as we're not talking about the guy because he's a d1ck to his caddie or he bangs perkins waitresses, tv coverage is good for his most visible sponsor. that's all i'm trying to say. and i think he is very visible. i mean, where is the thread about the ollie schniederjans effect?

but ultimately i agree with you, if bryson misses a bunch of cuts, or finishes toward the middle or bottom of the guys in the money week in and week out, people will move en masse. and lots of people will say, "see, i told you his clubs were stupid." fwiw, i think his clubs are stupid lol

I absolutely see what you're saying, but my retort was more geared towards "what does everyone know Rickie and Jordan for?" ---- And I am willing to bet decent money if I walked around my course and asked that question it'd be UA and Puma first with some thought before Titleist or Cobra. I just don't think club sponsorships have that big of an impact, especially when the apparel does not align.

I absolutely see what you're saying, but my retort was more geared towards "what does everyone know Rickie and Jordan for?" ---- And I am willing to bet decent money if I walked around my course and asked that question it'd be UA and Puma first with some thought before Titleist or Cobra. I just don't think club sponsorships have that big of an impact, especially when the apparel does not align.

haha I definitely misunderstood you. I see exactly what you're saying. in fact, if he signs with cobra, from a clothing standpoint I think that would be really odd. I don't see him in puma gear. his style seems to be more Bobby Jones than skater dude. I see him wearing whatever clothes most of the titleist guys wear, or even adidas. but puma does not seem like the right fit.

I just don't think club sponsorships have that big of an impact, especially when the apparel does not align.

Now this part I do disagree with in a huge way. There are not a ton of players where the apparel and clubs match. Nike being the one and only actually.

Now this part I do disagree with in a huge way. There are not a ton of players where the apparel and clubs match. Nike being the one and only actually.

I shouldn't have been so broad. I think there's value in different ways, especially when the club sponsor is on the apparel (hat, shirt, etc).

I think many people will want to try a set of single length clubs. Most are built to the length of a 7 or 8 iron depending on the player's wrist to floor measurement. That's not much change in length from your wedges since most sets don't step up in length until then anyway. Comparing my mizunos and my current wedges there is only a 1/2" difference in length from my vokeys to my 8 iron currently(it would be 1" if I built to 7 iron length). I have a set of single length irons in the works now and I can't tell you how many members at my club have asked about trying them out when I get them finished. Now the difference in length and weight on the top end is drastic compared to most clubs since it's around 3.5" and 60(ish) grams of weight to achieve the same swing weight.

I think many people will want to try a set of single length clubs. Most are built to the length of a 7 or 8 iron depending on the player's wrist to floor measurement. That's not much change in length from your wedges since most sets don't step up in length until then anyway. Comparing my mizunos and my current wedges there is only a 1/2" difference in length from my vokeys to my 8 iron currently(it would be 1" if I built to 7 iron length). I have a set of single length irons in the works now and I can't tell you how many members at my club have asked about trying them out when I get them finished. Now the difference in length and weight on the top end is drastic compared to most clubs since it's around 3.5" and 60(ish) grams of weight to achieve the same swing weight.
Not to be devil's advocate here, but i'm not aware of anybody else doing this same length club deal... Why would people be all over it, if 99.99999% of the rest of professional golfers have clubs (with different lengths) just like the rest of us?

Not to be devil's advocate here, but i'm not aware of anybody else doing this same length club deal... Why would people be all over it, if 99.99999% of the rest of professional golfers have clubs (with different lengths) just like the rest of us?

I appreciate skepticism but I'm capable of, and have verified the math, I DON'T care what pros are playing, and I don't buy into marketing since it has no effect on the club's performance. I'm not building single length clubs b/c Chambeau is doing well, but I was introduced to the concept by someone who saw an article behind his unique clubs and wanted help understanding the math. Once I looked deeper into it, I wanted to try a set as well. I wouldn't say everyone is all over it but around a dozen or so want to try them out.

Keep in mind that many golfers might only play 2-6 rounds a month with little or no real practice. Reducing variables in the irons that make less practice count more is a very interesting concept to some. Pros on tour are paid to play and play well, and as such will train intensively and customize equipment as needed where legal. Most of us just don't have the time, energy, or money to devote to golf that these guys do.

When I receive mine I'll get them built and then pull out the trackman. If i'm convinced my single length clubs ARE more accurate than my current set, the current set goes on the block, other way around and I'll likely toss the single lengths in a demo bag for anyone who wants to give them a go for a round.

I appreciate skepticism but I'm capable of, and have verified the math, I DON'T care what pros are playing, and I don't buy into marketing since it has no effect on the club's performance. I'm not building single length clubs b/c Chambeau is doing well, but I was introduced to the concept by someone who saw an article behind his unique clubs and wanted help understanding the math. Once I looked deeper into it, I wanted to try a set as well. I wouldn't say everyone is all over it but around a dozen or so want to try them out.

Keep in mind that many golfers might only play 2-6 rounds a month with little or no real practice. Reducing variables in the irons that make less practice count more is a very interesting concept to some. Pros on tour are paid to play and play well, and as such will train intensively and customize equipment as needed where legal. Most of us just don't have the time, energy, or money to devote to golf that these guys do.

When I receive mine I'll get them built and then pull out the trackman. If i'm convinced my single length clubs ARE more accurate than my current set, the current set goes on the block, other way around and I'll likely toss the single lengths in a demo bag for anyone who wants to give them a go for a round.
Well said, and I'm intrigued and would be interested in trying a set of single length clubs too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Should make your UST visit and new shafts in your clubs rather interesting. :D

If the kid can hit the ball near the hole and make putts to win, he'll be fine however he swing the club, but he's going to have to increase his green reading or he'll be in a world of penalty strokes.

I'm rooting for the guy and frankly I could give a crap if he plays unique clubs. He's a long time Northern California Golf Association winner and his amateur career stands on its own. I just think that its funny how polarizing he is for doing things his way.

As for navigating his quirks and making him marketable? I say just wait and see if he wins, that tends to push things one way or another. As for him being sponsored by Titleist for balls and his statements regarding balancing all his golf balls, wouldn't Titleist take care of that for him so he could truthfully make the "I don't have to balance these ProVs, they are that good" statement?

Anyways, I like Bryson and want to see that amazing amateur career translate into the pro ranks.

Should make your UST visit and new shafts in your clubs rather interesting. :D

I literally cannot wait! I've been playing these fantastic mizuno irons since August but I wasn't professionally fit to them I just happened to get a great deal on them at season end. Once they are professionally fit to me by the guys at UST they should perform even better if not to the best of my ability. If my homebuilt single length clubs win out accuracy wise I'll be surprised, but the math seems to indicate that they should be much closer than many would think, including myself.

Golf is a game of precision and accuracy. I'm not surprised at the obsession over length of carry by marketing departments since it's premise is simple to understand. Longer = closer to the hole. Unfortunately this is often incorrect in my experience, as slight mishits will often go farther and farther off center of aim putting me deep in the rough or worse. I'll take whatever set of irons has the tightest dispersion within acceptable gapping parameters. What they look like or the brand name on them is inconsequential to performance.

I literally cannot wait! I've been playing these fantastic mizuno irons since August but I wasn't professionally fit to them I just happened to get a great deal on them at season end. Once they are professionally fit to me by the guys at UST they should perform even better if not to the best of my ability. If my homebuilt single length clubs win out accuracy wise I'll be surprised, but the math seems to indicate that they should be much closer than many would think, including myself.

Golf is a game of precision and accuracy. I'm not surprised at the obsession over length of carry by marketing departments since it's premise is simple to understand. Longer = closer to the hole. Unfortunately this is often incorrect in my experience, as slight mishits will often go farther and farther off center of aim putting me deep in the rough or worse. I'll take whatever set of irons has the tightest dispersion within acceptable gapping parameters. What they look like or the brand name on them is inconsequential to performance.

If the single length does better for you, can I have your UST swag? I could use some new shafts...haha

I'm interested to see what your findings are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I can't even imagine howl long a fitting would take for single length irons to get the gapping down. Not many amateurs are going to spend the time and money on that.

It's actually easier(IMHO) than fitting for a standard set of clubs, find the preferred length, lie, and swing weight(typically the lowest loft iron in their current set they are most consistent with). Build clubs. By design all the swing weights will match, the MOI are matched, and the length and lie are matched. By reducing the club variables coming into play you simplify the variables which determine ball's travel distance. To adjust gaps simply adjust the loft of the club slightly to correct uneven gaps. Mathematically they should be quite close if the swing is consistent.

Rickie Fowler and Jordan Spieth come to mind rather quickly for me.

The only time I really heard about Spieth was on here which is surprising. Rickie I had never heard of.
People in my club in Uganda are talking about Bryson purely due to his irons. It's so different to the norm that it's a talking point.

I'm not sure how I feel about his swing and/or his clubs. Does what he's doing work? Absolutely, he proved that with his amateur play. Will it work for others? IMO it will, just like the Moe Norman swing works for some, those who commit to it anyway. Will it sell? I believe it will, there's plenty of room on the market for different clubs.

On a similar note; I lived through the persimmon to metal change, and I clearly remember nobody believing metal was going to replace wood.

Regardless, I'm disappointed that he's gone from Edel to Cobra. I'm guessing it was the money, and I believe he'd have the same exposure opportunities with Edel. IMO, he just drop-kicked the only guys who've believed in him, and his process. To me, that says something about his character.

I definitely agree but mind you perhaps he paid for all of Edels work and then they didn't have the budget to sponsor him.
Personally I think it's exciting that a player is using different equipment. There are so many ways to play the game and that's what makes golf great.
I think people who are hating on him, if you read through the thread there really is venom there, seem to be afraid of change. Change is good, innovation is good. Perhaps it's an old method but the electric car is old too.
At the end of the day it's belief and confidence that make the biggest difference and if these irons give him that then more power to him. I'm excited to see how he gets on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see any venom, I see a conversation that has people on both sides, and that's the purpose of a forum.

yeah i agree, i don't think anybody is hating on him. i think the conversation is about whether his unique approach will be tried by the masses. in my opinion it won't.

isn't he known to be a pretty slow player? that won't go over well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back