Winter indoor golf leagues - how does it work

r80rew

Reaction score
Handicap
As with most things the UK is lagging behind with winter indoor golf leagues and have none local. I have a good friend who is an assistant pro and taking his pga qualifications next month and has been approached to take over a local driving range by its new owners. One of the things we have discussed as a possible way of increasing turnover would be to install a simulator and run indoor winter golf leagues. How much do you guys pay to play/participate? Do you pay per session or for the season? How does it work?

thanks in advance for the detailed responses I’m sure I’ll receive.

We have a place in town that has 6 simulators. It's $150 for a 10 week season. 2 man teams. Match play. High handicap vs high handicap, low vs low.

Sim time on its own is roughly $50-$60 an hour outside of league play.

I'm not a huge fan of the simulator. It's not really all that accurate. So, I wouldn't pay any more than that unless they upgraded them.

They are AboutGolf simulators for reference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We have a place in town that has 6 simulators. It's $150 for a 10 week season. 2 man teams. Match play. High handicap vs high handicap, low vs low.

Sim time on its own is roughly $50-$60 an hour outside of league play.

I'm not a huge fan of the simulator. It's not really all that accurate. So, I wouldn't pay any more than that unless they upgraded them.

They are AboutGolf simulators for reference.

My winter time golf is on An AboutGolf sim too. I find it very accurate with irons and wedges. Driver is another story altogether. It seems to think I can hit my 4i to within 20 yards of my driver due to the crazy amount of spin it places on it too. Also ball speed and CHS are way off with driver. CHS is fairly accurate IF you hit it square. Way, way off if you don’t. But ball speed is way off on centered hits. I really have no idea what it measures, but it don’t measure anything correct with Woods.

I have no idea what the leagues cost, I don’t play courses on it. They charge $20.00 a person per round or you can rent the range (what I do) for $20.00 an hour. Which is a reasonable deal to whack a few balls in the winter or to get your irons dialed in distance wise.

I’m curious to see Trackman results at the Bridgestone event. Maybe I do spin my driver 3500-4000 on perfect strikes. My on course results say otherwise though.

I’ll also add, without it being more accurate than what it is, I would probably not go there if the price was much higher. $25.00 an hour I think would be my limit.

I also don’t play courses there because it drives me bonkers to get stuck behind a tree until I stroke out, which we usually set for double par. Nothing worse then hitting 9 straight shots into the same f’in tree on a par 5.

The one at Dicks is marginally more accurate (it’s not bad but misses a lot of shots, and the wall is too close, and you’re hitting into a net). If they charge, half the time they don’t, it’s 19.99 for 30 minutes. It’s a launch monitor and not a sim though and like I said you’re hitting into a net and looking at your results on a TV screen. I’ve clipped the wall behind me a couple times, just often enough to get in my head.

So basically I don’t really have any great simulator options. But at least I’ve got options!

My winter time golf is on An AboutGolf sim too. I find it very accurate with irons and wedges. Driver is another story altogether. It seems to think I can hit my 4i to within 20 yards of my driver due to the crazy amount of spin it places on it too. Also ball speed and CHS are way off with driver. CHS is fairly accurate IF you hit it square. Way, way off if you don’t. But ball speed is way off on centered hits. I really have no idea what it measures, but it don’t measure anything correct with Woods.

I have no idea what the leagues cost, I don’t play courses on it. They charge $20.00 a person per round or you can rent the range (what I do) for $20.00 an hour. Which is a reasonable deal to whack a few balls in the winter or to get your irons dialed in distance wise.

I’m curious to see Trackman results at the Bridgestone event. Maybe I do spin my driver 3500-4000 on perfect strikes. My on course results say otherwise though.
Lol. The spin numbers are ridiculous on ours. It'll say anywhere from 4500 on a great drive to -1500. Yes, negative spin readings.

The sims we play on are accurate in terms of ball speed but way off on swing speed. Carry distance on driver is close. But, it's plus/minus 10 yards I'd say.

Irons are crazy on there for me. I get a lot of forward shaft lean and pretty strong flight. This thing will give me an extra club or two on my irons.

Every time I ask, they claim they just calibrated them.

I’ll also add, without it being more accurate than what it is, I would probably not go there if the price was much higher. $25.00 an hour I think would be my limit.

I also don’t play courses there because it drives me bonkers to get stuck behind a tree until I stroke out, which we usually set for double par. Nothing worse then hitting 9 straight shots into the same f’in tree on a par 5.

The one at Dicks is marginally more accurate (it’s not bad but misses a lot of shots, and the wall is too close, and you’re hitting into a net). If they charge, half the time they don’t, it’s 19.99 for 30 minutes. It’s a launch monitor and not a sim though and like I said you’re hitting into a net and looking at your results on a TV screen. I’ve clipped the wall behind me a couple times, just often enough to get in my head.

So basically I don’t really have any great simulator options. But at least I’ve got options!
The place I had a driver fitting at this winter (4 hour drive) had 5 trackmans set up. They have a membership plan. You can go to the practice green, use trackman, or workout for a monthly fee. If I we had an option like that, I'd be all over it.

Lol. The spin numbers are ridiculous on ours. It'll say anywhere from 4500 on a great drive to -1500. Yes, negative spin readings.

The sims we play on are accurate in terms of ball speed but way off on swing speed. Carry distance on driver is close. But, it's plus/minus 10 yards I'd say.

Irons are crazy on there for me. I get a lot of forward shaft lean and pretty strong flight. This thing will give me an extra club or two on my irons.

Every time I ask, they claim they just calibrated them.

I’ve only seen the negative spin a couple times. There’s really nothing accurate other than CHS on center strikes, with driver. I’d expect to see ball speed very near 180 with a dead center strike with CHS at 120. It’s closer to 160 though there though. I only see those types of ball speed at Dicks sim, which is pretty accurate to what I see on the course and with the limited data from a Swing Caddie. Irons are pretty dead on distance wise and I think spin is pretty close.

Funny how yours is so different from mine. But we both agree they leave a lot to be desired.

Back