Losing cell phone (or anything important) on the course

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
Im certain a nice size percentage of us have done this at some point. Worst part is shutting the ringer off so calling it becomes an issue in itself. Nowadays we have app locators (but I don't) and not sure we all have that.

None the less, the feeling of first realizing you have no idea where your phone is can be quite disturbing. For me...I cant just continue to play on to only worry later. Happened yesterday to me for the first time in a very long time. I had forgot to wear my range watch and so I was using my phone range app for yardages. Not for that my phone usually stays put in a bag or cart pouch but yesterday I needed it out and running the yardage app. At one point Im like.."Oh crap", "where the heck is my phone" as I was also looking for a tee shot along the left side rough. I had to let my group play on and backtrack to the last tee. Thankfully there it was sitting on a bench near the tee box...lol. Of course I let the hole go and just joined at the next tee box. Thankfully I didn't have to go around trying to recall all my recent plays and steps. I also had the ringer on low volume so was able to hear it just barely enough.

Its been years but it has happened two other times where I did have to go back and recall all the places I was and both those times I luckily found the darn thing after the round was over. But my phone now is work related and technically not even my own phone so finding it (once realized lost) is top priority.

But losing anything of importance mid round is quite disturbing. Keys, phone, expensive glasses, whatever, there are some things we can say "oh well" but then some things is more like "oh crap" I have to find this like yesterday.

I've been lucky I guess. I've played with others who've left their phone, keys, rangefinder, wedges, and such behind but I've never done it. I thought I lost a ring once when it wasn't where it was supposed to be after the round. But found it later on when I emptied out my bag and turned it upside down.

@ddec is working on a feature for our home page about something that could help here.

@ddec is working on a feature for our home page about something that could help here.

Sure am. Had some fun with it too.

Found out my wedding ring had fallen out of a hole that I didn’t know was in my pocket mid-round. That count?

I've been lucky I guess. I've played with others who've left their phone, keys, rangefinder, wedges, and such behind but I've never done it. I thought I lost a ring once when it wasn't where it was supposed to be after the round. But found it later on when I emptied out my bag and turned it upside down.

+1
AA.jpg

I lost my cell last year. Got all the way home, realized (20 miles away) it was gone and headed back. Thankfully someone had turned it in. Got to the end of a round last year and didn’t have my keys. I remembered seeing them on hole 16 in the carts cubby. Backtracked, couldn’t find them, and was freaking out. Had my car (all of them), my house, and work keys. Stopped in the clubhouse and someone had turned them in already. PTL.

It is a horrible feeling though. I really freaked out about the keys. It costs about a grand to re-key work between the alarm keys and door keys. I did NOT want to make that call to my boss, let alone 3 Chip Keys plus FOBS for cars.

and exporting a video on it as we speak.

That's annoying but thankfully it was on the previous tee box to grab your phone.

Once the round starts I stuff my wallet & keys in the designated pouch and don't touch it unless I decide to get a snack or drink from the cart girl or at the turn.

My phone is always out for music so that really doesn't matter to me and just drop it in the front of the cart somewhere.

Recently, a buddy of mine realized he didn't have his phone until two holes later. I pulled up phone locator app and we were able to accurately locate it. It was on the fairway! He was def sweating it out for a bit.

Generally speaking, I either leave valuables such as my watch & wallet in the glove compartment of my car. Take some cash/credit card with me on the course. More recently, I've gotten in the habit of leaving items in my locker. Nothing worse than turning in a high score and then realize something important is missing. Talk about adding insult to injury!

My keys, wallet, wedding ring, and all other valuables go into a certain pocket in my bag. My phone is used for GPS and incase of emergencies(or wife needs me). I luckily have never lost anything, but have been one to help when a partner lost his wallet when he didn't zip the pocket on his golf bag. He was lucky someone turned it into the clubhouse.

Lost my keys TWICE at the same course about a year or so apart.... not my finest moment(s).

Lost keys once. Took some steps to make sure that never happens again (how they fell off the key ring is still a big of a mystery). Anyways, that sucks when that happens. Drove all over the course, looing for shiny metal in rye fairways.

Otherwise, I've lost a putter cover and a ball marker, neither of which were worth much financially, but they were gifts from my family, so just sentimental value.

~Rock

I lost my favorite pair of sunglasses ever at the Bridgestone Invitiational in OC.
Lost my rangefinder at a local course but luckily some honest person turned it in and I was able to get it back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Never lost anything that valuable. Guess I've been lucky as well. All valuables go in a zippered pocket in the bag before I even leave the clubhouse, and stay there until I return to the clubhouse.

I've left a wedge on two occasions. Once, I went back immediately and found it greenside. The other time, the group behind us brought it up to the next tee.

I've found several wedges that others have left. Once, when turning one into the clubhouse last year, the guy chuckled and said, "That's the fifth one today. What are they drinking out there?"

Found out my wedding ring had fallen out of a hole that I didn’t know was in my pocket mid-round. That count?

I play with mine on.....

My keys, wallet, wedding ring, and all other valuables go into a certain pocket in my bag. My phone is used for GPS and incase of emergencies(or wife needs me). I luckily have never lost anything, but have been one to help when a partner lost his wallet when he didn't zip the pocket on his golf bag. He was lucky someone turned it into the clubhouse.

I have a "valuables pocket" in my bag. The only thing in it is my ball marker, divot tool and the tees i take out at the end of my last round. When i get to the course, i take the things out, out them in my pocket, and my wallet and keys go in, along with my phone "on silent". I check my phone at the end of 9, back in it goes...

I dropped my phone 5 days after buying it. Luckily I found it the first place I looked after I wrapped up the 9. Not sure how would I have explained that to the wife. Then three days later I left it in the cart. Realized when I was driving home I left it there and turned around and retrieved it. Since then it goes directly into the valuable pocket or stays in the truck. So much for the golf apps on it.:act-up:

Long story short... "Lost"a wedge in an outing only to have my buddy pull out said wedge 1 year later from his bag and nonchalantly say I don't think this is one of mine. I about threw him into the lake.

Already bought a replacement as I thought mine was stolen by club worker

I dson't know if this classifies as being "lost", but the oldest member of our group, Gary age 80, turned in his cart after the round and immediately went home. Shortly after the GM came in the grill and asked if Gary was still here. We told him, "No" and asked why. Seems he left his bag and clubs on the cart and the course has no club storage area so we were going to take them to him. Sure enough about twenty minutes later, , before we were ready to leave, he called to ask if, in fact, that is what he had done and he headed back to pick them up.

I lost my wedding ring on a golf course about 20 years ago. Luckily my wife was super understanding about it. I’ve had my cell phone fall out of my golf cart a couple times but I’ve always been able to trace my tracks and go find it. Find my iPhone is super convenient when you have misplaced your phone. My sunglasses and rangefinder have been left on the range/course a couple times as well but they were always turned in.

Last Saturday my Oakley sunglasses that have only been worn 4 times fell off my hat and into the lake from out boat. Not really the same feeling as not knowing where you left something but I’ve donated more pairs of nice sunglasses while boating than I’d care to think about - about 10 pairs plus a couple watches.

Back