Will There Ever Be Another Tiger Slam???

Not on the PGA with the current crop of players. Too many good ones to run off 4 striaght. I do see it happening again some time in the future though. I can certainly see it happening at any time in the LPGA though.

I don't think so mainly because of the amount of talent that's around the same age now. The gap between players in terms of ability is much smaller now than it was when Tiger was doing his thing. Personally, I don't think we'll see that type of domination again for quite some time, if ever.

I can't believe so many are saying no. Of course there will be.
Every generation people think they see the best that will ever come and then something better comes.
Heck, we weren't that far off from seeing something better (a real grand slam) last year.

Every generation people think they see the best that will ever come and then something better comes.
Heck, we weren't that far off from seeing something better (a real grand slam) last year.

I think the reason we have so many naysayers is Tiger is the only one from my generation(Gen X) to achieve the career slam and there are no Millennials or baby boomers who have achieved it. The only people alive other than Tiger that have the career slam were born in 1935 and 1940, and Player and Nicklaus completed the career slam in 1965 and 1966. Clearly Rory could achieve the career slam as soon as Sunday but the Tiger Slam is much, much more elusive. I'd love to see the Tiger slam but if I were to bet on it I don't think I'll ever see it. The competition is too deep and certainly deeper and younger than it was when Tiger did it.

Sure, why not. Speith was only a few strokes away from doing "The Grand Slam" last year. High finishes in both the open championship and PGA. I think it can and will be done.

I think the reason we have so many naysayers is Tiger is the only one from my generation(Gen X) to achieve the career slam and there are no Millennials or baby boomers who have achieved it. The only people alive other than Tiger that have the career slam were born in 1935 and 1940, and Player and Nicklaus completed the career slam in 1965 and 1966. Clearly Rory could achieve the career slam as soon as Sunday but the Tiger Slam is much, much more elusive. I'd love to see the Tiger slam but if I were to bet on it I don't think I'll ever see it. The competition is too deep and certainly deeper and younger than it was when Tiger did it.

Definitely tougher on the men's tour but do you not see it happening on the ladies tour?

It can and will happen. We may not see it soon but it will, all records get tied or broken at some point.

Definitely tougher on the men's tour but do you not see it happening on the ladies tour?

I'm honestly not currently educated enough about women's professional golf to have an opinion. I used to follow women's golf back in the 1980's and 1990's when I had more time but I haven't watched 10 hours of women's golf in the last decade and could only name maybe 4 or 5 of the top 20 players in the world(Ko, Lewis, Wie, Lexi, ???). My attention level for the LPGA will have to change going forward since my 10 year old daughter is turning into an avid golfer.

I think it's possible but not probable

I could be wrong and that's ok but I don't see it happening.

Earlier I said no. Thinking about it some more.....As golf stands today...No. That will change though. As the current Top 4/5 age, and younger talent comes on the scene I think it is probable, even likely that someone will win 4+ majors in a row. I do not think that it will happen soon though.

The LPGA is a bit different, There is a lot of talent, but I could see Ko doing that this year or next.

I'm honestly not currently educated enough about women's professional golf to have an opinion. I used to follow women's golf back in the 1980's and 1990's when I had more time but I haven't watched 10 hours of women's golf in the last decade and could only name maybe 4 or 5 of the top 20 players in the world(Ko, Lewis, Wie, Lexi, ???). My attention level for the LPGA will have to change going forward since my 10 year old daughter is turning into an avid golfer.

Great to hear that your daughter has an interest in golf. The kids are the future of this great sport.

It's crazy that so many have forgotten that Spieth was 1 shot out of the playoff at the Open Championship and only lost the PGA by 3 shots because 1 other player had a historically good performance.

Sure, why not. Speith was only a few strokes away from doing "The Grand Slam" last year. High finishes in both the open championship and PGA. I think it can and will be done.

Speith was also a DJ two-putt from being in a playoff for the US Open.

Point being, as great as you have to be (and Speith was insanely good last year), you need a lot of luck as well.

I certainly think it's possible, though.

Of course there will be. We might not be around for it but it will happen. Everyone always thought there'd never be someone who can compete with Jack & here comes Tiger. Now noone can have a season like Tiger and here comes Spieth. There will be another one day who puts it all together

I think there will be but it won't happen for a very long time. Many of us may not even be around to see it.

It's crazy that so many have forgotten that Spieth was 1 shot out of the playoff at the Open Championship and only lost the PGA by 3 shots because 1 other player had a historically good performance.

Bu almost anything that falls short can be viewed with a "if only' or a " what if" or a "just barely" and whatever else we can think of. That's why great things are not repeated often and sometimes come close to being repeated but aren't. There are just too many things that have to go right for one and wrong for others to have it happen. That's why its hard even if one is great. That being said, I do think it will certainly happen. It could be soon but it also could be not in our lifetime.

NO will not happen in the mens game.

It WILL happen again, every record in sports eventually gets tied or beat and this will be no different.

Possibly but I would guess it will be our grandchildren who see it - not us.

Hold on. Let me go ask my magic 8 ball....

As you didn't specify a time frame, and golf will be played long after I've gone, then without doubt, yes. Not only that, but someone will win the grand slam. Whether I'm around to see either is another matter.

I may be mistaken, but didn't Tiger hold all of the major championships and the major championship scoring records at the same time? That, to me, is the most amazing part.

Almost all records fall or are matched. Tiger was a once in a lifetime player....so the next time we get another one...it will be matched.

Back