Advice for someone getting back into the game

Stuggy

Reaction score
Handicap
I am not a great player. I'm still learning and haven't played for a few years.

I was wondering if it would be worth me getting some better clubs. It is not a skill thing where I have evolved past what I have but the clubs I have are basically a no name starter set (Confidence). I was browsing today and I guess not surprisingly various series of irons for example are rated for different skills of golfer. I was looking at a used set of Taylormade M3 and thought hmm maybe an idea. Then I noticed the suggested handicap and that is not me. I am probably 30 handicap. I was still wondering though couldn't a better set of clubs help my game?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited:
Honest answer: they might.

A good condition set of, say Ping "G" irons (G10/15/20/25/30/G) would be helpful getting the ball up and out for you without breaking the bank, and Ping have their lie colour code to help with the self fitting.

As for target handicap, what about if your putting is terrible and costing you loads of shots - more shots than your irons? Treat it as a rough guide, IMO.

If you fancy TaylorMade, look at the M4 target handicap compared to M3 for instance.

Thanks for the answer. Given that recent used sets are not super expensive it is an idea. And now as you mentioned I need to learn more as far as what sets to focus on. I'm sure my game needs work in a number of areas. I'm trying to get good tools and see if I can put them to use.

Thanks for the answer. Given that recent used sets are not super expensive it is an idea. And now as you mentioned I need to learn more as far as what sets to focus on. I'm sure my game needs work in a number of areas. I'm trying to get good tools and see if I can put them to use.

Stuggy, we have the thread for you!!! Come join us!

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/11152-Trying-to-Break-100

We are all your comrades-in-arms trying to achieve respectability. (and having a good laugh doing it!!)

New clubs could potentially help. They could end up being easier to hit and more forgiving which also might make it more fun out on the course. There are certainly some great affordable options out there.

It could help some depending on how old the starter set is.
Welcome to THP and enjoy the game.

Stuggy - just noticed you are in France, have a look at Golfbidder.co.uk (UK site) for an idea about second hand set prices here (they might post to France), and they have relative handicaps in the descriptions (they are pretty realistic IMO).

A quality set of lightly used game improvement clubs will certainly help your game, with GI mishits still go reasonably straight and that's huge for amateurs.

Forget the M3 though, keep looking, try anything by the big names that are GI.

Ok game improvement clubs - I didn't know there was a category but that helps refine my search. I will also check out the thread of the guys trying to beat 100. I don't have any of my old cards but don't think I ever have.

Don't overlook the Srixon range if you find any, although I might be slightly biased as I have a set of them in my bag at the moment..... :D

The 5-series (Z545/565/585) are very good clubs, and they also did a Z355 series as well that might be worth a look

Thanks for the feedback. Any club ideas appreciated. I was reading about ping dots and thought cool idea.

Back