Downswing sequencing from the top question?

Linkster@FM

Reaction score
Handicap
This is my first post... I am a newbie here, so please give any mistakes on my posting.

I have been trying to get a handle on the correct flow of the downswing. I currently do a slight bump and then a hip turn in two distinct pieces. I have heard about hips sliding, and not sure about that. I tend to rush to the ball, but really trying to slow things down. Trying to get rid of an extreme fade. Any suggestions?

This is my first post... I am a newbie here, so please give any mistakes on my posting.

I have been trying to get a handle on the correct flow of the downswing. I currently do a slight bump and then a hip turn in two distinct pieces. I have heard about hips sliding, and not sure about that. I tend to rush to the ball, but really trying to slow things down. Trying to get rid of an extreme fade. Any suggestions?

where does the ball start relative to your target? if it starts to the right and keeps cutting, your hip bump could be too severe, flattening out the plane too much and with your body ahead of the ball you might be leaving the face open. open path, face open to path = right going right. i know from experience! for me, the fix is to work on the pump drill. get to the top of the backswing and pause. slowly drop the arms but on plane with the shaft not too laid off (eg you don't want the shaft to be parallel to the ground or perpendicular to the ground, better to be right in the middle of the two), then push the arms back up to the top. repeat a couple times, then from the top actually make a swing trying to feel that neutral plane.

something that helps me on the course is to think about the "swish" through impact. turn the club around so you are holding the shaft near the head. swing back and through, trying to maximize the swish at the bottom. flip the club around so you're holding it correctly and do the same thing. to make the biggest swish, you have to be tension free and you have to release the club fully. tension and keeping the head from releasing often lead to the block fade for me.

good luck

:welcome:

where does the ball start relative to your target? if it starts to the right and keeps cutting, your hip bump could be too severe, flattening out the plane too much and with your body ahead of the ball you might be leaving the face open. open path, face open to path = right going right. i know from experience! for me, the fix is to work on the pump drill. get to the top of the backswing and pause. slowly drop the arms but on plane with the shaft not too laid off (eg you don't want the shaft to be parallel to the ground or perpendicular to the ground, better to be right in the middle of the two), then push the arms back up to the top. repeat a couple times, then from the top actually make a swing trying to feel that neutral plane.

something that helps me on the course is to think about the "swish" through impact. turn the club around so you are holding the shaft near the head. swing back and through, trying to maximize the swish at the bottom. flip the club around so you're holding it correctly and do the same thing. to make the biggest swish, you have to be tension free and you have to release the club fully. tension and keeping the head from releasing often lead to the block fade for me.

good luck

I've gone through this too and think both of these ideas could help. Also, think about keeping your arms in front of your body throughout the swing. When you have an erratic tempo it's easy to get your shoulders turning up and out of the swing too fast, leaving your arms way behind which drags the face open.

If you have the time, I would get someone to film your swing from head on and down the line so that Freddie can properly diagnose your faults.

I've gone through this too and think both of these ideas could help. Also, think about keeping your arms in front of your body throughout the swing. When you have an erratic tempo it's easy to get your shoulders turning up and out of the swing too fast, leaving your arms way behind which drags the face open.

If you have the time, I would get someone to film your swing from head on and down the line so that Freddie can properly diagnose your faults.

Keeping my arms in front of my body through the swing is a critical component to good contact for me. Seeing your swing on video can help a lot.

Chances are that bump is putting you out in front of the ball. This means your shoulders have broken the imaginary plane that bisects the ball. If you break this plane with the hip fit with a bump then the rest of your swing sequence will be off. In fact your are already dead in he water and it's anyone's guess where the ball will end up.

Instead of a bump, try to get the left hip to turn away from the ball. There will be a slight move toward that imagery plane. But if you are driving off the inside of the right leg and turning the left hip, you'll clear your hips. This leave room for the arms to swing thru the hit zone.

That turn with the left hip away from the ball will automatically drop the arms down toward the right hip. This move will allow you to swing freely down your intended target line. It's important that you allow the club naturally, if not you'll end up with the club behind you. Hope this helps.

Good explanation FK!

To the OP: Welcome To THP!

Thanks everyone for the welcome. And thank you, Freddie, for the great advice. Starting to practice that hip turn to the left and it really helped. I appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. And thank you, Freddie, for the great advice. Starting to practice that hip turn to the left and it really helped. I appreciate it.

Don't get too quick with it. It needs to feel natural after you think about during practice.

Don't get too quick with it. It needs to feel natural after you think about during practice.

Ah, yes. So, true. I always seem to have this tendency of wanting to rush at the ball, rather than allowing for a smooth swing and follow through. Thanks again for the great advice.

Back