Ten finger baseball grip, could it be the one?

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
After a bad round off the tee last week I tried a ten finger grip and it has the potential to be my full time grip. When I stretch and practice swing I just grab the club without thinking of my grip or anything else and swing back and forth. I noticed my wrist's can release easily and the back swing feels effortless. With my interlocking grip my hands feel like two tomcats fighting in a pillow case.

I remember the first golf shot I ever hit, Sometime around 1982 I grabbed my dads wooden driver, tee'd one up in the backyard and let it fly into the cornfield behind the house. My dad was sitting on the back porch and said "that must have went 200 yards!! hit another one" I hit another one about the same but we were not made of money and the backyard driving range was shut down.

I had NEVER hit a golf ball before that or had any type of training but I just gripped it like a baseball bat and let it fly. I decided to try the baseball grip because of how easy it is to swing but what I found is that I can find the center of the face effortlessly. This is the case from driver to chipping, I can put the club on the ball right where I want it. I used the baseball grip for 18 holes yesterday and I am going to use it for a while longer. My ball striking was better than ever and my chipping and pitching were much improved.

I do not feel as though I am giving up or moving backwards here. I want to play my best golf right now!! If this helps me play better then I just cannot see a reason not to move forward with the ten finger grip. I started the round hitting everything well but the old pull hook came back on the back nine. I attribute that to having so much confidence in my ball striking that I began trying to kill it.

Does anyone here rock a ten finger grip?

doesn’t scott piercy on tour use it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve had a 10 finger grip the majority of my time playing. I dabbled in interlock but just couldn’t do it due to comfort and loss of distance.

The biggest problem with 10 finger grips for me is I will get very handsy, but it’s the most comfortable way for me to grip a club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to use the 10 finger baseball grip off the tee and for chipping, and the interlocking grip for irons. It just feels right to me. I used to be a 10 finger only grip kind of guy, but noticed a lot more control over my irons using the interlock. My miss with the irons was always a slice, and sometimes a big one at that. Now with the interlocking grip, if I do slice it, it seems to not go as far off center. I'm just a lot more accurate with my irons using the interlocking grip, and now that I've been doing it longer, it feels comfortable.

Keep going with it. If it's good, then it's good. There's nothing else to consider.

When it comes to things like this, I always think back to The Big Break, where the one guy used left hand low for every club. And was a good player.

Check out the Golf Sidekick videos on YT. He has a friend named DiDi who has a one-of-a-kind swing, but plays to a 9 cap.

If your game improves with it I say why not? It's worth playing around with anyway. Find what works for you and run with it.

I use the 10-finger grip when I'm struggling with dragging the handle.
This handsy feel helps me release the clubhead when that fault creeps in.

Not too many coaches these days care how that part of your grip looks.

After a bad round off the tee last week I tried a ten finger grip and it has the potential to be my full time grip. When I stretch and practice swing I just grab the club without thinking of my grip or anything else and swing back and forth. I noticed my wrist's can release easily and the back swing feels effortless. With my interlocking grip my hands feel like two tomcats fighting in a pillow case.

I remember the first golf shot I ever hit, Sometime around 1982 I grabbed my dads wooden driver, tee'd one up in the backyard and let it fly into the cornfield behind the house. My dad was sitting on the back porch and said "that must have went 200 yards!! hit another one" I hit another one about the same but we were not made of money and the backyard driving range was shut down.

I had NEVER hit a golf ball before that or had any type of training but I just gripped it like a baseball bat and let it fly. I decided to try the baseball grip because of how easy it is to swing but what I found is that I can find the center of the face effortlessly. This is the case from driver to chipping, I can put the club on the ball right where I want it. I used the baseball grip for 18 holes yesterday and I am going to use it for a while longer. My ball striking was better than ever and my chipping and pitching were much improved.

I do not feel as though I am giving up or moving backwards here. I want to play my best golf right now!! If this helps me play better then I just cannot see a reason not to move forward with the ten finger grip. I started the round hitting everything well but the old pull hook came back on the back nine. I attribute that to having so much confidence in my ball striking that I began trying to kill it.

Does anyone here rock a ten finger grip?

about 6 years ago I struggled with my grip. Overlap or interlock, it never felt great (little did I know at the time it was all grip pressure more than anything) so I tried the ten finger grip and it helped me bridge that gap. It's a great grip IMO to help someone make solid contact. Obviously club path and face at impact will play a big role in what the ball does when you hit it, but the grip can help.

I would say pay attention to how tight you are gripping your club with the "traditional grip" and maybe that might be causing some issues. Either way I think the ten finger grip can help you.

I use it because I have small hands and it works for me.

I use it because I have small hands and it works for me.

This reason ^^^^^^

My father taught me with a 10 finger because I couldn't control the club otherwise. I've stuck with it my entire life & it hasn't failed me yet

As long as your grip is correct it doesn't matter which grip you use, so go for it, this is nothing new, I think you'll find many amateur players use the 10 finger grip.

Last edited:
I switched to it years ago and haven't looked back. Interlock feels really strange to me now.

My first lessons (group) maybe 12 years ago, the instructor showed us the basic grips, and recommended the 10 finger grip for some women and men with smaller hands. He preferred the interlock, but told us to try any one that felt comfortable.

I've always played the 'baseball' grip. Sometimes I try overlapping, but it never works out well. I can't remember what they say the risk is with 10 fingers, slice maybe? I may fade it sometimes, but nothing that's gonna miss the fairway. So 10 finger grip it is for me.

~Rock

Hey, whatever works for you. For me, a ten finger wouldnt work because my miss is a pull or hook, so I need something to slow down my face rotation, which is why I use the overlap/Varden.
I tried the interlock too at one point in time but my face rotation was too slow with it and it felt like it really bound my wrists up and made it more difficult for me to release the club.
By all means though, if the ten finger works for you, go for it!

I tried it today before my driver decided to bite it. It felt really weird and the club felt a lot heavier but everything was straight or draw. I may experiment with it some more when I get another driver.

I never thought about trying this, but I'm currently unable to hit anything but a huge slice with my driver. I'm going to try this out at the range tomorrow and see what happens.

I always used an overlapping grip before. But on my first lesson with an instructor last year he had me switch to a 10 finger grip and I have done that ever since. It feels natural now.

I go back and forth with the overlap and baseball 10 finger grip. The only one that causes issues for me is the interlock, plus it doesn't feel comfortable at all, especially when hitting out of deep rough.

The last month I have stuck with the overlap.

Back