The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to the range now. Hoping yesterday was an aberration.

Spent about an hour at the range's short game area today just hitting 54* and 58* wedges.

Got to hit some balls today outside for the first time in months. Just worked on a smooth swing and solid contact. Tried to make sure I remembered the info my instructor gave me at my lesson a couple months ago now.

Range yesterday with Jimmy Numbers, better than I thought for first time range session this year

76d7b63b15dd1fced8da30f62497cab1.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If only we could talk him into dressing appropriately.

Well that range session was way to painful. Lower back never got loose. Wedges were crap too.

Oh well get after it next time

Well that range session was way to painful. Lower back never got loose. Wedges were crap too.

That sucks man. Like you said shake it off and get after it next time

If the best players in the world can struggle sometimes, I think we will have our issues now and again. Just can't it get you down or affect your confidence. Not that I think you have that problem!

Hit around 75 pw at work today and have good dispersion. The swing felt great and I was happy with the ball flight I had.

Brother and I split a large bucket. I hit only my driver, he hit driver, and some 3-woods. Good banter, he's hitting his new-to-him TaylorMade R9 well. I was hitting my driver a little better than last session, and the three last balls I hit were smoked, dead straight and long for me. A small grip tweak, and there it was.

Hit a large bucket and a medium bucket at the range. Spent time working on swinging long clubs like my 7i. When i focused on this I was hitting golf shots I'm used to seeing. Spent most of the medium Bucky working on wedges with the focus on the Keegan Bradley tip.

Overall felt good about the session and know that I'm close to getting the swing back into a groove and where I was most of last year.

Still working on not taking the club back closed! This taking longer than I thought but every time I do right I'm pleased with the results. This could be a game changer for me if I can evenly partially master it.

If only we could talk him into dressing appropriately.
Stop it. It was after work and we were the only ones there. Not getting all dressed up for a hour long range session lol. Better than Maddogs jeans...

Stop it. It was after work and we were the only ones there. Not getting all dressed up for a hour long range session lol. Better than Maddogs jeans...

Hahaha not there to impress! You should see my normal range attire....complete with boots!

Hahaha not there to impress! You should see my normal range attire....complete with boots!
Exactly my dude lol. Not there to dress to the 9s! If it was a range at a course you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be dressed well, but just the range I'm there to grind it out and be comfortable!

Exactly my dude lol. Not there to dress to the 9s! If it was a range at a course you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be dressed well, but just the range I'm there to grind it out and be comfortable!

My man Kev looks like he is there to do work...

It's amazing what thinking about proper extension and posture will do. I think I just had the best range session I've had yet this year. Just murdering the irons, hybrids, and driver. I had a few crap shots intermittently, but for the most part I was crushing everything. So that was pretty tight.

But even better was I saw some light on my sand game for the first time in awhile. Thinking about pointing the grip at my belt buckle both at address and returning there at impact, and it really seemed to improve my consistency. It's still early but I'm optimistic.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Off to play real golf today to put these changes into practice (weather permitting of course). Hope they work on the course as well as on the range!

Got the range at Pine Ridge last night, and had one of those epiphany moments. I don't know if it was because of the massage I got the previous night loosening my neck up, ( I have some disc issues in my neck ) or I just realized it subconsciously, but I realized I had my chin tipped down a bit to much. I made a point of picking up my head just slightly, and holy crap. I was hitting my hybrids over 200 yards in the air - into a 10-15 mph wind. Everything was at least a club longer. I know golf can be a cruel taskmaster, so I don't get too high when stuff like this happens, but if this something I can do permanently, it may be a game changer for me. Also hit a lot of wedges to various targets - very happy with that part of my game. Need to keep that up to snuff, as it is something I'm going to have to rely on.

I feel you Kev. Go to Walgreens and get capzacin patches - they really work. I wear one every time I play or hit balls.

After about 3:00 PM on weekdays, that seems to be the attire of choice at CP. Lots of AC/Heating vans and contractor trucks in the lot.

Played 18 today working on not closing the face on the way back and had very positive results. Shot a good score, for me, with two double bogeys! I think I am on to a significant improvement in my game!

Hit the range today with out my 5-pw as they are getting new grips installed.
The bottom 3 wedges were working OK, not great, but I have to think that is from not touching the clubs all week and working/busy this week.
3w and driver swing were actually garbage today. Could not get myself to pivot or turn my shoulders. Hopefully it's something a little rest will take carry of. I don't remember the last time I hit both of them clubs so bad. Some driving range time tomorrow in Tampa will be much needed.

Last edited:
Did a good bit of carpet putting, yesterday. Trying to re-work my fundamentals and also establish a pecking order with the putter hoard. For the putting, really focused on my setup, and keeping the ball on my intended line for 2 feet, with some gates at 1' and 2'.

i wanted to do some full swing work today, but decided to grab the 60 and just pitch and hit bunker shots.

pitching was really good. i started thinking about accelerating through instead of just making contact a certain way, and i was really grooving it well.

i hit some good bunker shots, but also got a case of the thins again. it is so mental in the bunker for me right now. i thinned a ball so bad i lost it. definitely the weakest part of my game right now.

One of the elements of the short game I really pushed hard for in myself over the last couple years was a sort of unconscious wedge game, where I'd focus on the shot, take a few rapid practice swings until I found one I liked, and then would immediately address the ball and attempt to put the same swing on it.

It works incredibly well for me, however I think because of the process I've gotten away from really visualizing my plan beforehand. It started to become a "find a good swing and hit" vs "find THE swing and then hit" mentality, and after some really high quality wedge shots today, I think I have had that little lightbulb to get back to what I was doing so well.

Improvements will be coming. Absolutely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back