Getting comfortable with a putter.

bavs

Reaction score
So I am a putter hoarder. If I am to stick to one putter I need to only have one putter in my house. How do those of you who have a large stable of putters ever get comfortable with one putter? Me personally when I have a bad putting round I immediately change putters and the feeling out stage begins all over again. I am always looking for the next best thing and never give the putters I have enough time to get comfortable over. Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the one putter thing and I failed miserably. I would love to find one and rock it for 10 years but I just don't think that kind of putter monogamy is in my DNA.

I have recently gone through the same thought process. I currently have 4 putters -- paltry to some, many for me -- and was going back and forth with different putters in practice and play. And I was coming close to buying more putters. I need to improve my putting, but I realized that wasn't the answer. I just need to stick with one putter for a reasonable period of time (gasp, say a month) and take that variability out of the equation. So, the others are going in the way, way back closet where impulse temptation can't jump my decision. We'll see what happens in a month ...

When I got the SeeMore X2 I kept it in the bag and went through some ups and downs obviously. I am really happy that I did that and am sticking with it. The RST just works for me and I am going to go with that until I need to buy another SeeMore haha

I have vowed to stick with one putter for an extended period of time but it never goes more than a month. I just like various putters too much. I really do not experience a performance difference from one to another so am very comfortable mixing it up.

I have them all lined up in my man cave which is also a 15'x15' putting green. I have 20+ putters a lot of them are permanently retired or a slightly different version of the same putter. I have 3 different Cleveland Smart Square putters, 3 different Odyssey #7's, and 3 different Odyssey#9's. There are about 5 in my collection that might make it to the course this year but generally if I put one in play it's for at least for 7-10 rounds before I might make a change. Sometimes green speed dictates which putter I play. In the winter when the greens are slower I like a lighter putter and when they speed up in April I'll put a heavier putter in play, which is why I have some duplicate putters that are just a different head weight.

When a change is being considered, I take two or three putters to the putting green. I then line up 10 ft putts, rotating between putters on each attempt (so I do not get comfortable with one putter). I do this for 5 balls each. Then, I take the same 5 shots from 40-50 ft.

I then use the data to see which putter is performing better. I then work on putting drills for a while (not less than 30 min). Clock drill, gate drill, then 8 ft and 33 ft putts. If the results are OK (meaning I can do the clock drill inside of 5 min from when I start, and I sink 50% of 8 ft and two putt 50% of the time from 33 ft), then I will use that putter for a few rounds.

Really, putting comes down to practice and fundamentals (alignment consistency, stroke consistency, contact consistency).

I am very comfortable with my Tank Cruiser #7, and it is my primary gamer. I've also got a Cleveland Classics #6 that I bought at the same time as the TC#7. I had actually intended on gaming the Cleveland but the TC won out.

I've got other putters around the house, including a Scotty I've painted up for the wife. It just seems like once I found that one putter that "clicked" that I have no desire to stray away from it.

i have 2 other putters in addition to my gamer, a seemore ptm1 for my time trying to make spi work, and a scotty newport that was modded by club champion after a putter fitting. neither works for me at all, so no temptation to switch. one day i'll send the newport to the custom shop to get repaired back to all stock, and it may find its way back into the bag.

Not sure I will ever get to that point. But from the ones I have I roll on the practice green and do drills with to,get used to them

This is my problem. I know that I don't give putters long enough to stay in my bag yet I can't stop it

Bavs I say we make a covenant. We both take a week to decide what putter we want to stick with and we make each other stick to the same putter for let's say 4months to start? We will see how it goes?

This is my problem. I know that I don't give putters long enough to stay in my bag yet I can't stop it

Bavs I say we make a covenant. We both take a week to decide what putter we want to stick with and we make each other stick to the same putter for let's say 4months to start? We will see how it goes?

That is exactly what I want to do. I'm at the point where I want to take all the putters here that I'm considering 7 in total and trade in all but one and use the trade in money to put to clothes. In theory it sounds good but I would apply the trade money to a Scotty or another Bettinardi and begin the cycle all over again.

I'm always putting a putter in a dark closet to teach them them a lesson, it seldom works!

I had my previous putter in the bag for 9 years.. No ins & outs... I had a mishap and the shaft got bent. The head was beat. I decided at that point that I might look around at new tech. My previous putter was high MOI and i knew that is what I wanted to stay with. Did some research.. Hit some putts & ended up with the Cure... With putting it is the Indian for sure... If the putter fits you well enough. It is up to you. I used to change putters like underwear because I was a poor putter. Once I stuck with one I developed a relationship with it. I know I could putt with a broom now.. I am a good putter. The only way I built that confidence was by knowing it was me... Not an inanimate object that was the problem.

I find putters very pretty and would love to own dozens.. Wedges too... but I know it would not help my game... YMMV

Personally I have found it easier to adjust to a new putter than to any other club. I have over 20 putters in the collection but all but 3 are #9 style heads. So the only thing I by I really have to get used to is the insert or milled face.

Last edited:
I started out putting well with my current putter and continue to improve with it 3 years later.

That is exactly what I want to do. I'm at the point where I want to take all the putters here that I'm considering 7 in total and trade in all but one and use the trade in money to put to clothes. In theory it sounds good but I would apply the trade money to a Scotty or another Bettinardi and begin the cycle all over again.

Well if u want to do it lmk! I bought 1 more putter on the bay today. It'll be between a Bridgestone Tru-balance, a tru-roll, and an old Oddyssey to see who wins the spot in my bag and I need to stick to it

Well if u want to do it lmk! I bought 1 more putter on the bay today. It'll be between a Bridgestone Tru-balance, a tru-roll, and an old Oddyssey to see who wins the spot in my bag and I need to stick to it

I'm game. I'm down to a cure rx3f and Kuchar #2 armlock.

I'm game. I'm down to a cure rx3f and Kuchar #2 armlock.

Ok next week let's declare what putter we both decided to roll with going forward

I'm still on my honeymoon with my Cure RX2 putter. Only have about 4 rounds rolling it and I'm getting more and more comfortable with it. Definitely takes time for me to get comfortable with a putter. The oldest putter I have is my Titleist SP-201 which I can put in the bag anytime and game it well. I also have a TM Daytona 12 and a custom one-off barrel putter. I generally use those two for practice rolling indoors at home.

I think collecting putters and scoring well are two different objectives that do not necessarily complement each other.

I think you can use every putter you have every now and then, but you can't expect your score to get better until you're settled in with one or two.

You can also just stick to just one, and your score may improve with that, though I don't know what you're going to do with the rest.

As for me, I had 3 putters last year, I got rid of the two and just gaming one.

I have been alternating between my SC California and my Odyssey MXM #7... So far so good!

I think collecting putters and scoring well are two different objectives that do not necessarily complement each other.
I totally agree with this statement. Granted, I'm not a putter collector and only play with one putter so I may be the way off base here but ....
I know it's fun to try and buy new putters (as well as any other club) but I really can't understand how it's possible to consistently putt well if you're switching putters at the drop of a hat. And "adjusting" to a new putter is strange to me as well.

It seems to me if you can't take a new putter out to the practice green for a session and feel totally comfortable it'll perform on the course at least as well, if not better than your current putter then it shouldn't be in the bag.

I used to be a one putter guy, but I've recently really come to appreciate them much more. I only have 5, some are strictly for practice, some I pack around with me to see which one is working better for me on a particular day. I'm not a really good putter and my stroke isn't the most consistent so sometimes one putter might feel better than another. I'd say once I really get into this season I'll have a consistent gamer but for now I'm playing around with feel and stroke.

I am of the "its not the arrow its the archer" camp and think a good player could score with a 1950's bullseye.. If you decide on a putter you need to spend hours and hours with it... many rounds.. practice as much as you can.. If you have doubts try playing a round or two without a putter and putt with an iron. when you get your putter back it will feel like magic..

Back