The Golf Channel: Old Lido Course

DaBuckBoys

Reaction score
The feature tonight on the Long Island Original Lido Golf Club was pretty cool. C.B. McDonald and Seth Raynor once built a course on Long Island stretching from the south on the Atlantic Ocean to Reynolds Channel on the north. Not enough name recognition? Alistair McKenzie won a design competition to contribute to the 18th hole. The course is now covered in homes and Long Beach High School. The original clubhouse is now condos. The cgi recreation of the layout was impressive.

I saw the Golf Channel segment and it was very impressive. A year ago I joined a new course, a 1924 Seth Raynor design that went through a $2M renovation in the last 18 months. The work on the course inspired me to do a bit of research on the history of golf course design starting with C.B. McDonald and it’s been fascinating to read up on him and other American course designers. It’s too bad the Great Depression wiped out the Lido Golf Club, it certainly sounds like it would have been one of the finest in the country if it was still standing.

Yeah, I JUST saw that a little bit ago. Very cool story.

Back