Odyssey Covers Thread

hcovers-2016-april-major-blade_5___2.png

Soft, soft effort here, especially after what we've seen in the past. I am used to this group upping the ante every single time, and all I see here is a gigantic nose dive for things to come.

Ugh, I was really eager for this one too.
Why in the world would they use orange instead of yellow??

I keep wondering if it's an April fools.
Man I hope so. They usually do some pretty special things with the covers and this one is just a big whiff for me.

I keep wondering if it's an April fools.
The reactions of people that bought this one and then another version was released might be interesting to watch.

I just can't get myself to like this year's edition. This seems like it was better suited for a St. Patrick's day edition.

dbdd267389647ac029370193ed3f0e6a.jpg

Starting to think they weren't legally allowed to use anything Masters reference since they make no mention of "The Masters" instead opting for the major at Augusta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks very much like a generic cover, as opposed to a major's cover.

The previous mention of possibly being unable to use the "Masters" name might be true, I would imagine it is pretty heavily trademarked.

Can't believe how no frills looking the cover is.

Give me some azaleas or something I can work with...not a fan of this one at all. That said, you can't hit a homer every time out.

hcovers-2016-april-major-blade_5___2.png

Soft, soft effort here, especially after what we've seen in the past. I am used to this group upping the ante every single time, and all I see here is a gigantic nose dive for things to come.

Ugh, I was really eager for this one too.
Ok, so it's not the best they've done. That I'll agree, but to predict a total nosedive coming is a bit harsh. It's a headcover plain and simple. As long as they concentrate on equipment and keep it coming as it has I could care less about a putter headcover.
I just won't add it to my collection.
Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
dbdd267389647ac029370193ed3f0e6a.jpg

Starting to think they weren't legally allowed to use anything Masters reference since they make no mention of "The Masters" instead opting for the major at Augusta.

I really think this is the issue.

Masters must have taken control of branding like the Super Bowl does.

Now, it's just the "April Major Tournament"

Hopefully, this will change in the future. I have been really impressed with Callaway's Masters collection over the past few years. And, I've started looking for their Masters stuff once March hits.

This edition definitely leaves me with a sad.

Fwiw, I believe the US Open, Open, and PGA last year were marketed as the "June, July, and August Majors" last year.

I really think this is the issue.

Masters must have taken control of branding like the Super Bowl does.

Now, it's just the "April Major Tournament"

Hopefully, this will change in the future. I have been really impressed with Callaway's Masters collection over the past few years. And, I've started looking for their Masters stuff once March hits.

This edition definitely leaves me with a sad.
Even if so many other companies have covers out without reference to the Masters but because of how it is designed everyone knows. This is just lackluster. They were coming out with some awesome stuff but this is a giant step back. Would have been better off not releasing anything.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

There are a lot of companies out there marketing product for the Masters and using the name. Bettenardi, Bridgestone, and Lamkin have done so in the past 2 weeks.

There are a lot of companies out there marketing product for the Masters and using the name. Bettenardi, Bridgestone, and Lamkin have done so in the past 2 weeks.
Highest bidder?

They had he name Masters on the product?

They had he name Masters on the product?

Lamkin has a special Masters collection. They may not say it in the grip, but it sure said it on the website. I clarified Bridgestone in a previous post.

Not sure any of them used masters on the product could be wrong though

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Probably why Callaway didn't release anything Masters related last year either. I have a photo of the special order book of the bag that was to be released but it never came out or was seen on tour. Probably started last year. ANGC must have put the hammer down. Dug back thru my phone, it had bag, headcovers, hat all marketed as April Major. Only had a yellow Georgia state shape on it with 1934 on the ball pocket. Don't recall ever seeing it anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Don't want to pile on, but I don't like the April Major cover either. I think ANGC should really re-evaluate how they are handling this stuff if they are the reason folks can't market products freely. I get that it is the most popular event in Golf, at least stateside, but if you piss off all the OEMs they can slowly eat away at your stature , at least I hope they could

Lamkin has a special Masters collection. They may not say it in the grip, but it sure said it on the website. I clarified Bridgestone in a previous post.

I don't mean to remain off topic, but I just looked at some emails and the Lamkin website and the grips say "celebrating the first major of the 2016 season" and "special edition Green" but no mention of The Masters anywhere that I can see.

I think that is what is the issue here, but they could at least make an appealing cover without the mention and just using the colorways.

None of the other major companies have used the "Masters" in their product names in many many years. They use references, but that is it. Now color schemes and using the year is not something ANGC can regulate. That is why the colors on this cover are perplexing to me. They certainly could have gone with a green that is closer in color to what it actually is and used yellow stitching. Or even a white cover with green "2016" with the Odyssey logo in yellow. This cover is just a miss.

I get both sides of it, and I get the limitations, but the reality is, market will dictate whether that's a 100 dollar cover or not. Personally, I don't think it's a 40 dollar cover, but that's just me personally. We're all free to decide what it's worth.

Really do wish they tried to do more with the yellow/green -- But I don't know what they are able to do so I guess I can't judge.

I get both sides of it, and I get the limitations, but the reality is, market will dictate whether that's a 100 dollar cover or not. Personally, I don't think it's a 40 dollar cover, but that's just me personally. We're all free to decide what it's worth.

Really do wish they tried to do more with the yellow/green -- But I don't know what they are able to do so I guess I can't judge.
My "valuations of worth" is quite looser than yours and I wouldn't spend 40 on this cover

Back