ESPN-The Thug Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

bat21

Reaction score
Handicap
Way to surprise me ESPN......thug rap opening to opening-day baseball.....

What is the big deal with Rap/Hip-Hop being so pervasive in every facet of society?

What a slap in the face to the older fans. They act like the older fan doesn't even exist.

Newsflash for espn, fox, etc.

Not everyone is a gangsta.

As a network I am not a fan, but what should they have done? They chose the most popular music going right now.

I missed the opening. Perhaps the rap music says more about me (us) than them: I am (we are) getting old. I think baseball needs to get younger and be more relevant - to my way of thinking this is appropriate and a good thing.

As a network I am not a fan, but what should they have done? They chose the most popular music going right now.

Agreed completely. I didn't even give it a second thought honestly.. It is the popular music right now so that is why they played it.

Much more to focus on during opening day then the music they chose

Eh, I don't see it as a problem. Baseball is losing viewers and more importantly, players - they need to try to connect with the younger generation (though speeding up the game would go a whole lot more towards that).

I am not a fan of country music but don't care either way when it's used for montages and the like.

I missed the opening. Perhaps the rap music says more about me (us) than them: I am (we are) getting old. I think baseball needs to get younger and be more relevant - to my way of thinking this is appropriate and a good thing.
I don't think thug/gangsta is a good idea in music or mentality...ever.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

They do badly.

Agreed completely. I didn't even give it a second thought honestly.. It is the popular music right now so that is why they played it.

Much more to focus on during opening day then the music they chose

I mean its not as bad as having that fossil Madonna for an NFL game, which was downright scary.

Eh, I don't see it as a problem. Baseball is losing viewers and more importantly, players - they need to try to connect with the younger generation (though speeding up the game would go a whole lot more towards that).

I am not a fan of country music but don't care either way when it's used for montages and the like.

Fwiw I agree but they are certainly putting measures in place to speed the game up and it worked last year

What song/songs did they play? I wasn't watching. I have a hard time believing it was anything real crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to surprise me ESPN......thug rap opening to opening-day baseball.....

What is the big deal with Rap/Hip-Hop being so pervasive in every facet of society?

What a slap in the face to the older fans. They act like the older fan doesn't even exist.

Newsflash for espn, fox, etc.

Not everyone is a gangsta.

i haven't seen the actual study, but i have heard many times that the biggest consumer of rap music (at least mainstream) is suburban, middle to upper middle class white teenagers.

i'm 34, going to be 35 next month. i grew up on dr dre, nwa, snoop, bone thugs, and some others. i also listen to my share of upper middle class white guy music like dave matthews band. i'm very white. just a sign of the times, dude. if they opened with crosby stills and nash, or patsy cline, or the monkees i don't think it would resonate very well with a majority of viewers.

What song/songs did they play? I wasn't watching. I have a hard time believing it was anything real crazy

Welcome to My House by Flo Rida

I'm 62 and it did't bother me. I don't like it but there's nothing wrong with it. Everyone has different tastes. Never going to please everyone!

Listen to any pop or hits radio station and it's played every 10 songs currently. I don't see the issue here. FAR from "thug rap".

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That isnt exactly what I would consider gangsta/thug rap. I think it goes to show some people hear any type of rap/hip hop/pop music and just think its gangsta/thug music. Cant please everyone and its whats popular right now, I have no issue with it.

Please don't act like all rap is thuggish or gangster. That is so far from the truth.

Im a studio gangsta so it's all good.

That isnt exactly what I would consider gangsta/thug rap. I think it goes to show some people hear any type of rap/hip hop/pop music and just think its gangsta/thug music. Cant please everyone and its whats popular right now, I have no issue with it.

To be fair, the industry and culture brings/brought them on themselves by profiting off of this very thing.

And can someone tell that dude how to properly spell Florida.

I'ts everywhere.....not just sports. I guess at 55 (in May) I'm gettin' too old to watch mainstream t.v. w/o being somewhat offended, instead of just turning the other cheek like I should. Like I said, I'm not at all surprised though by espn's selection. I guess Glen Campbell, Billy Joel, or Hall & Oates are out? lol.

I'ts everywhere.....not just sports. I guess at 55 (in May) I'm gettin' too old to watch mainstream t.v. w/o being somewhat offended, instead of just turning the other cheek like I should. Like I said, I'm not at all surprised though by espn's selection. I guess Glen Campbell, Billy Joel, or Hall & Oates are out? lol.

Yes because that music isn't popular anymore.. They have to cater to the music that people are listening to these days

Not going to lie, was expecting a whole different reason for someone claiming ESPN was a thug network.

For this reason, I see no issue other than I'm not a fan of the song itself. Not seeing the thug aspect in the least bit.

Flo Rida is not rap haha....dude is Pop

You mean alcoholic Billy Joel?
And Hit and Run Jailbird Glen Campbell?

18-34 is the target demographic.

That drives pretty much everything that ESPN does, including music choices.

Calling rap/hip-hop music "thug" is a different issue altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back