Lead With the Right Elbow

UglySwing

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes

For some time now, when I really get in a groove with my swing, especially long irons and driver, I can feel something I'm doing with my right arm/elbow in relation to my right hip.

When I had an Orange Whip I would feel the same sensation. But, I couldn't isolate what it was that I was doing exactly. I just knew the feeling.

A few days ago I googled 'right elbow golf'. I found a bunch of stuff, but this video is what really clicked with me.

When I do this, it is the exact feeling I used to feel without knowing what made it feel so right.

I'm in Palm Springs today, and went to the range and had the most amazing range session. One of the golf staff at Shadow Creek actually came over and complimented me on my swing.

It's a a short and to the point video. I strongly recommend giving it a look.

I agree. Seems like a good tip to help a steep downswing.

I'm on a flight, what is the reader digest version of the video?

Instead of dropping the hands in the downswing, flatten the shít out of the club by pulling the right elbow towards the ball.

Good compensation for a different compensation.

Leading with the right elbow towards the hip helps flatten out the plane as opposed to the thought of pulling the chain or leading with the handle keeping it steep(er)

Just turn the hips and it drops on its own. Then it's not manufactured. I'm sure he mentioned that or at least I hope he did.

Just turn the hips and it drops on its own. Then it's not manufactured. I'm sure he mentioned that or at least I hope he did.
He did not. But, that's immediately what I was thinking while watching so there's that hahaha

No discounting his video or anyone's style. It's a great tip but there are other things that make this happen. I think if you don't incorporate other aspect this time will become a detriment to the swing. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, just not too many

I'ts much the same with baseball swings. In baseball coaches emphasize "staying inside the ball", in order to be able to shoot the ball to the opposite field......To do that a right-handed hitter must lead with his left elbow so that the hands lead the bat, enabling the hitter to stay on the ball longer, whilst letting the pitch get deeper into the strike zone, allowing for easier contact the other way.

I'ts much the same with baseball swings. In baseball coaches emphasize "staying inside the ball", in order to be able to shoot the ball to the opposite field......To do that a right-handed hitter must lead with his left elbow so that the hands lead the bat, enabling the hitter to stay on the ball longer, whilst letting the pitch get deeper into the strike zone, allowing for easier contact the other way.

If your hands are back with a golf club you'll hit a big ole slice. The club would actually get stuck and you would have to flip at it.

No discounting his video or anyone's style. It's a great tip but there are other things that make this happen. I think if you don't incorporate other aspect this time will become a detriment to the swing. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, just not too many
Like I said, it's a good compensation for another compensation.

Every time I to key on one thing my whole swing gets worse. I have to make my swing without thinking about one body part.

curious, what's the difference between what this guy seems to be saying and the tip i've heard you give before to drive your right elbow toward your right hip to initiate the downswing?

I agree. Seems like a good tip to help a steep downswing.

I can get the same result by pinching my elbows together a little at address. It helps me stay on plane on the way back and the way down. It's a set up fundamental for me.

db9d835b_tumblr_liqyn5dzg01qfyqwd.jpeg

I can get the same result by pinching my elbows together a little at address. It helps me stay on plane on the way back and the way down. It's a set up fundamental for me.

db9d835b_tumblr_liqyn5dzg01qfyqwd.jpeg
Whoa whoa whoa. When a golfer does everything right to the top, then a "throw the right elbow" tip makes no sense, since there's little to compensate.

curious, what's the difference between what this guy seems to be saying and the tip i've heard you give before to drive your right elbow toward your right hip to initiate the downswing?

I need to watch the video,just commenting on what has been written.

I need to watch the video,just commenting on what has been written.

when I watched i thought of the tip I've read from you.

he's basically telling people to never pull the handle to start the downswing because that gets you steep and ott. he wants you to jam your right elbow into your right hip or the right side of your belly to really flatten out the downswing plane, then let the body react and rotate. seems like a less efficient way of keeping things a little flatter on the downswing, instead of letting the lower body drive and the shoulders and arms react.

Oof. I can't do that one. That was my big fault when I started lessons last year- dropping the head of the club as I started my downswing. Then it took a whole lot of hands to get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another great (far more in depth) video explaining the same thing.

I had an on-line lesson with this gentleman (Dan Whittaker out of the U.K.). He's really knowledgable. The turn around time for the on-line lessons wasn't what I expected, but I think he's really smart.

The video is kind of fun to watch because he analyzes a few pro's swings and what they do with their right elbow (Hogan, Zack Johnson, Tiger Woods).

For myself, the feeling I've ended up with is that I'm skipping rocks on water with my right arm.

That video takes about the right elbow and where he thinks it should be. But not once did you talk about how to get it there. If you keep the club in front of you, the right elbow with take care of itself.

when I watched i thought of the tip I've read from you.

he's basically telling people to never pull the handle to start the downswing because that gets you steep and ott. he wants you to jam your right elbow into your right hip or the right side of your belly to really flatten out the downswing plane, then let the body react and rotate. seems like a less efficient way of keeping things a little flatter on the downswing, instead of letting the lower body drive and the shoulders and arms react.

I have taught swing the handle, swing the face, hold the angle, use the big muscles to swing. There are countless swings and countless ways to get it done. Are there fundamentals in each swing, yes. But there are multiple ways to keep in front of you.

Flattening the swing on the down swing is not a good idea if you don't have the speed. The club will get stuck and you will flip or block. If you have the coordination to pull the handle of the club down to the hip them the elbow will follow. And if you have made a solid them away from the ball and pull the handle, you will hit strong high launching shots. But what has not been covered is that the hips should start the down swing. This move allows for the club to drop naturally. But since most done know how to use their lower body, I have to suggest what will allow them to keep the ball in front of them and enjoy the game that much more.

Monte sounds like he had a hard night!.... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gosh. That's an interesting video. Especially since Bobby Jones' swing looks so different than the modern swing, yet incorporates many of the same parts.

Back