ESPN-The Thug Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really concern myself with music selections of sports programming. I either like it or don't and wouldn't expect anyone to cater to my music preferences.

You mean alcoholic Billy Joel?
And Hit and Run Jailbird Glen Campbell?

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek....just used those 3 as examples.

You didn't grill Hall & Oates though....You a fan?

Maybe this was more suitable for the rant section.

Thankful that the Golf Network uses more restraint.

Maybe this was more suitable for the rant section.

Thankful that the Golf Network uses more restraint.

Yes because they have a much different demographic than ESPN

It's a little silly to assert that all music that sounds remotely like hip hop is only for thugs IMO. I'm not a fan of the style of music either, but calling it offensive is kinda over the top.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

So, what you're really saying is, "Get off my lawn."

"My Bad"

I forgot about how the culture is perceived with regard to the players themselves, what with the flat off-centered bills of the caps, the bling, baggy no-sock showing pants, tats, tops unbuttoned to show the nike/ under armour tee shirts.

Color me jaded.

"My Bad"

I forgot about how the culture is perceived with regard to the players themselves, what with the flat off-centered bills of the caps, the bling, baggy no-sock showing pants, tats, tops unbuttoned to show the nike/ under armour tee shirts.

Color me jaded.

It is the game now.. You also don't see guys going to the games in suits anymore. I don't understand why what players wear effects you in any way? Same with the music played before the game.. If you don't like it then mute the tv or don't watch

Would keeping traditional, old school music ignore the young fan?

Honestly, I don't get too riled up about stuff like this. Wayyyyy too many things that deserve my attention

Well this is an interesting take:

My 2 cents:

Excuse me if my home bringing the sad,
Soon as these happy faces land you can run with the cash
Home run, slam dunk, touchdown, pass
Mi casa es tu casa so it ain't no holding back
Another shot of vodka, you know what's in my glass
It's my house, just relax

Well this is an interesting take:

My 2 cents:

Excuse me if my home bringing the sad,
Soon as these happy faces land you can run with the cash
Home run, slam dunk, touchdown, pass
Mi casa es tu casa so it ain't no holding back
Another shot of vodka, you know what's in my glass
It's my house, just relax

Ill be honest here, can you give me the last 20 seconds of my life back? :D

Ill be honest here, can you give me the last 20 seconds of my life back? :D

20 seconds for the 5 min it took for me to read through this thread seems very fair :alien:

I like tradition in sports too. I normally only watch my team on our local station and they do a great job. I do not particularly like or watch national broadcasts.

20 seconds for the 5 min it took for me to read through this thread seems very fair :alien:

Maybe. I think some of it is off its rocker. I also think its odd for people to get up in arms about hip hop and rap being labeled by some as "thug". They created that image. Profited from that image. Marketed that image. Had groups named that.

Cant all of the sudden say "but wait, its not really that".

I still think the idea that Glen Cambell would be a better choice, and the irony of his record was funny.

Maybe. I think some of it is off its rocker. I also think its odd for people to get up in arms about hip hop and rap being labeled by some as "thug". They created that image. Profited from that image. Marketed that image. Had groups named that.

I still think the idea that Glen Cambell would be a better choice, and the irony of his record was funny.

Agreed to all points, but (hence why I quoted the lyrics) IMO this song is not what I would call Thug/gangsta, not advocating violence, drug use, killing police, it's not a statement/provocative song.

100% honest I have no idea who Glen Campbell is, I'm about to YouTube him and i'll probably have heard/like his music just don't know it off the top of my head

Didn't watch the opening, rarely watch espn except for some of the baseball games. Grew up on 80s and 90s hip-hop/rap amd don't care much for what's current. I listen to all kinds of music now and rarely get offended by what a sports channel plays or said. If there is something I don't like I don't watch, listen, participate.

with that said baseball is losing participation in urban communities and when you look at the pro level the demographics are changing from what many are used to. Using current culture to appeal to their core age demographic and maybe draw in the group that haven't been attracting sounds like a good choice.

Rhinestone Cowboy would be the greatest MLB song EVER, but the majority of ESPN's viewership would be like "huh" and eve more of a disconnect with Wichita Lineman IMO of course

Rhinestone Cowboy would be the greatest MLB song EVER, but the majority of ESPN's viewership would be like "huh" and eve more of a disconnect with Wichita Lineman IMO of course

Interesting info about that here. Based solely on that, I think most would know that more than Flo Rida.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-have-the-whitest-richest-oldest-fans/283626/

However I still think the stuff in here is hysterical, its about pre-game music and a league trying anything to expand audience from old white guys.

I think rap music in its current state is garbage but they can't exactly roll out Lynyrd Skynyrd.

I like to think of myself as a pretty simple person. To be honest there isn't much that offends me. I feel like I would rather put my energy into other things rather then getting offended about a song or what someone says to me. If you like something that's great, if not move on I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's agree to disagree.

I am relatively new to this site/forums, and I really enjoy the product THP has put forth, as well as all you members.

I hope my rant hasn't sort-of black-listed me among the group that post/lurk/moderate here.

I am by no means prejudicial, and hope that you folks didn't see it as such.

I admit I struggle with certain trends regarding the sanctity and old school traditions that are being challenged with baseball in particular. I'ts only because I played the game from age 3-53, and although I was not drafted, I played ncaa div. 1 baseball, and was quite passionate about the game.

Not so passionate now, as golf has taken over my interest of late. That's why I enjoy this site, and you guys so much.

I enjoy the healthy debate and look forward to posting with you guys in future. Have learned a lot already, and hope that I can meet-up with some of you guys on the other side of the Cascades this year.

Do you Seattle area guys/gals ever play over here on the east side?

Let's agree to disagree.

I am relatively new to this site/forums, and I really enjoy the product THP has put forth, as well as all you members.

I hope my rant hasn't sort-of black-listed me among the group that post/lurk/moderate here.

I am by no means prejudicial, and hope that you folks didn't see it as such.

I admit I struggle with certain trends regarding the sanctity and old school traditions that are being challenged with baseball in particular. I'ts only because I played the game from age 3-53, and although I was not drafted, I played ncaa div. 1 baseball, and was quite passionate about the game.

Not so passionate now, as golf has taken over my interest of late. That's why I enjoy this site, and you guys so much.

I enjoy the healthy debate and look forward to posting with you guys in future. Have learned a lot already, and hope that I can meet-up with some of you guys on the other side of the Cascades this year.

Do you Seattle area guys/gals ever play over here on the east side?
It's all good bud. It's difficult to read tone through text, and we've all been guilty of or victims of that from time to time.

And would love to tee it up with you sometime! I'm on Tapatalk so didn't realize you were in WA. I still haven't gotten to play out that way yet, but hoping to get out there at some point.

It's all good bud. It's difficult to read tone through text, and we've all been guilty of or victims of that from time to time.

And would love to tee it up with you sometime! I'm on Tapatalk so didn't realize you were in WA. I still haven't gotten to play out that way yet, but hoping to get out there at some point.

Ditto on maybe playin' over on the coast.....will try to coordinate plans with you guys on the NW forum. Thanks.

That is a very limited view of an entire genre mostly fueled by the mainstream exposure. "They" includes record execs and reps who focus on what they think is most profitable. If people explored the genre at all, they would find a lot of fun, intelligent, positive, enlightening, unique and talented people and songs.

It is essentially judging a book by its cover.

Much of the hip hop I listen to actually speaks out against or makes fun of so-called thugs and posers. One album I have is a scathing parody of gangster rap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back